New bike advice please - seat comfort

veracocha

I am about to purchase a new bike having sold my CF Moto 650MT. Can anyone can advise about the seat comfort on two bikes I have in mind

Triumph Tiger sport 660

Yamaha Tracer 7 with comfort seat

I loved my CF moto but as I do lots of touring I need a seat with comfort level above what I had before. I'm 5' 7" and around 11 stone. If anyone has either of these bikes I would like to ask how they get on with theirs on a comfort level. It really was the only reason for me to sell the CF Moto. 

Having tried lots of bikes and seats, Airhawk is the only long term touring fix that works for backside discomfort. How are you with your hips and knees? I lowered the pegs on one bike and that stopped a lot of discomfort.

• Like 2

Yamahas seats are well known to be harder/ less padding than Triumphs but its not just the seat comfort seats are just abit thicker padding that they should of done in the first place.. does the comfort seat make to seat height higher than makes it more difficult to have full feet on the floor that some people prefer.

its all based on the other dimensions that the other components push you into that is in relation unique to your body shape and independent body parts!!!

seat height incorrect= hip, knees, back suffer.

Too high up pegs to seat hight= knees and legs suffer.
too long to reach to bars= neck, shoulders abd back suffer.

levers not correct your fingers, wrists and elbows suffer. 

Edited by RideWithStyles
  • Like 2

Thanks everyone for their input.

I have covered three decent tours since March. Scotland twice and Wales once and often in the seat for 3 plus hours at a time. Despite having 5 spinal surgeries with bone grafted from my hips the only thing that hurts is me arris. If I could ride side-saddle I would. I pulled the trigger on a 23 plate Tracer 7 today and I can touch the floor ok so a gel seat of some kind might be in order even if I have to swap the comfort seat with a lowered seat to compensate.  Is it something that you get used to as I'm a new biker of less than a year riding behind me. 

• Like 1

There's a few companies around that will take the oem seat and remodel it using gel inserts. Much more comfortable and considerably cheaper than a fully custom seat. 

I seem to remember  Husoi did his own and was very satisfied with the results.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

....I think a lot of comfort issues are affected by your actual body - shape, weight, limb length etc. I don't think there's a one size fits all.

What the man said. Seats are a very personal thing. I ride a R1250RT, something you would expect to be the lap of luxury for seats, and for me it is. I've done a couple of SS1000 and yeah, my bums been a bit tender, but so have my shoulders, neck and arms (and just about everything else at my age), just as you'd expect after 1,000 miles in under 24hrs, but sore, not really, my bum is obviously BMW shaped. Others, and I know one bloke who's got the otherwise identical but 1200 model who's spend a fortune replacement seat, bar raisers, lower footpegs etc and they still complain.

Edited by Capt Sisko
  • Like 2

On 05/09/2023 at 10:36, S-Westerly said:

Have to say I found a gel seat was better than an Airhawk but I think a lot of comfort issues are affected by your actual body - shape, weight, limb length etc. I don't think there's a one size fits all.

I have a gel seat, and still use the airhawk!

• Thanks 1