Advice Desperately Needed

Trying not to cry

Hi Everyone

i bought my now ex partner a motorbike nearly 3 years ago, we broke  up  2 weeks ago, and he is giving me the bike back, however, he was riding the bike last week and got stopped by the police, he didn’t have insurance or  license as it has run out (neither of which I knew about) 😭so they impounded the bike.

He has given me the form and said it’s my problem as it’s my bike now, I’m so upset and in tears as I do t know what to do, I dont have a license so can’t ride it, what do I do?? How do I get it back from out the pound??

Help is really appreciated as I’m new to all this and don’t know who to turn too

thanks so much in advance

If your not bothered about the bike they will just crush it, you weren't riding it so we're not committing any offence, was bike registered at his address, they could be arsey over it not registered at correct address but I can't see them doing much about it.

I would just call them and tell them situation.

The registered keeper needs to pay to have it released from the pound. If you cant ride then i suggest you arrange a motorbike transport service to collect it on your behalf (once you have paid the fees with the registered keeper present).

You can then set about trying to recover the fees from your ex in a small claims court, but i doubt it's worth it. From memory the cost to retrieve should be >£300.

I've been reading up about how to get your bike back here: Seized vehicles | Metropolitan Police

Seems like you can arrange for a "fully trained, equipped and insured vehicle recovery operator to collect [the bike] at your own expense" (I guess this means a local garage that does motorbike recovery), but it's not clear what documentation they have to bring with them, or whether you need to come with them to the pound or not.

So

1. Phone a local motorbike repair place and ask them if they'd recover the bike from the police pound for you. 

2. Phone the police force who have the bike and ask them if you can send a recovery operator to get the bike, since you don't know anyone qualified to ride. Ask them

what documentation does the recovery person need to bring?

if you need to be at the pound when they pick the bike up or not?

how much the recover fee is, and how you can pay it?

(I think the recovery fee meant to be £192 + £13 for each day the bike's been impounded)

All the best with it!

3 hours ago, Trying not to cry said:

Hi Everyone

i bought my now ex partner a motorbike nearly 3 years ago, we broke  up  2 weeks ago, and he is giving me the bike back, however, he was riding the bike last week and got stopped by the police, he didn’t have insurance or  license as it has run out (neither of which I knew about) 😭so they impounded the bike.

He has given me the form and said it’s my problem as it’s my bike now, I’m so upset and in tears as I do t know what to do, I dont have a license so can’t ride it, what do I do?? How do I get it back from out the pound??

Help is really appreciated as I’m new to all this and don’t know who to turn too

thanks so much in advance

based Langley B69

1 hour ago, bonio said:

I've been reading up about how to get your bike back here: Seized vehicles | Metropolitan Police

Seems like you can arrange for a "fully trained, equipped and insured vehicle recovery operator to collect [the bike] at your own expense" (I guess this means a local garage that does motorbike recovery), but it's not clear what documentation they have to bring with them, or whether you need to come with them to the pound or not.

So

1. Phone a local motorbike repair place and ask them if they'd recover the bike from the police pound for you. 

2. Phone the police force who have the bike and ask them if you can send a recovery operator to get the bike, since you don't know anyone qualified to ride. Ask them

what documentation does the recovery person need to bring?

if you need to be at the pound when they pick the bike up or not?

how much the recover fee is, and how you can pay it?

(I think the recovery fee meant to be £192 + £13 for each day the bike's been impounded)

All the best with it!

many thanks hopefully 🤞🏻 I’ll call them tmw and see, the pound have been helpful they will release the bike provided the document is signed, so I have to find someone with a cbt and me pay for insurance to get it out etc, but I don’t know anyone with a bike 😭

If the bike still had insurance under someones name and trusted someone on here with their own insurance that could ride other bikes they could move it on your behalf.

if the bike pound isn't far from where you live nothing to stop it being pushed back, hard work i know but...

well to make you smile, he does have a problem as he will be done for driving without a license and insurance which to put it frankly he's gonna get summons court and boned, so hes not gonna get away likely.

if you don't have a license and you need to pay insurance they will be reluctant with cheap wuotes just for that as they really want the registrated keeper and owner to insure.

You only need the insurance to ride it on the road, if it isnt ridden no insurance shouldn't be required. By the time youve paid out for the pound, and other stuff plusthe insurance you beeter hope this bike is worth thousands to make it worth while.

Edited by RideWithStyles
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, RideWithStyles said:

If the bike still had insurance under someones name and trusted someone on here with their own insurance that could ride other bikes they could move it on your behalf.

if the bike pound isn't far from where you live nothing to stop it being pushed back, hard work i know but...

well to make you smile, he does have a problem as he will be done for driving without a license and insurance which to put it frankly he's gonna get summons court and boned, so hes not gonna get away likely.

if you don't have a license and you need to pay insurance they will be reluctant with cheap wuotes just for that as they really want the registrated keeper and owner to insure.

You only need the insurance to ride it on the road, if it isnt ridden no insurance shouldn't be required. By the time youve paid out for the pound, and other stuff plusthe insurance you beeter hope this bike is worth thousands to make it worth while.

Hi ya, there’s no live insurance on it and  I could strangle him for doing this, so the fact the courts will give him a kick where it hurts does make me smile hun, I’ve shed so many tears over this.

I’ve called the police number today 4 different times and each time I’ve been told different things that I need I do and what is needed to produce to get the form stamped, the last operator said that all I needed is the v5 in my name (I can change that today) my passport and receipt when I bought the bike, and to have it collected in a van or trailer etc, but the other 4 operators said different so I’m even more confused 

it’s definitely worth it as it’s valued at £2500+ so at least I can sell it afterwards and re coop some money back

Also if the bikes v5 was in you name but his wasnt at the time of the police catching him, you could add that he didn't drive it with your permission beforehand to another chalk mark to is record and further distance yourself from his recklessness.
hence why there was no insurance on the bike in the first place, just incase he wanted to try and flip some blame into you some how for the police/court case.

Edited by RideWithStyles

6 minutes ago, RideWithStyles said:

Also if the bikes v5 was in you name but his wasnt at the time of the police catching him, you could add that he didn't drive it with your permission beforehand to another chalk mark to is record and further distance yourself from his recklessness.
hence why there was no insurance on the bike in the first place, just incase he wanted to try and flip some blame into you some how for the police/court case.

I’m with you thanks hun, just need to find one one local now that can help with license etc so I can get the form signed