Born Again Bikers

russ3311

I want a laverda now, well, I say now. I've always quite fancied one ever since I saw a Jota 1000 in a museum.

I'm the opposite of born again, I'm a young spritely chap wishing I got to ride some of that sweet 70's and 80's metal. No sign of falling out of riding.

Unfortunately my mortgage costs about as much as Greece's national debt and I'm a single income household. So the chance of a few grand kicking about to buy a classic within the next few years is like hoping I'll wake up with a six pack and a 12 inch willy 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, megaross said:

That's a bit tasty. Beautiful bikes, what were they like to ride?

This video should give you some idea..

My 3CL was modified to near Jota specification. It was manufactured in 1980 with a 180 degree crankshaft, which gave it a uniquely glorious soundtrack, especially after a Jota exhaust system was installed.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, keith1200rs said:

I'm confused. What has all this got to do with "born again bikers"?

All born again bikers have the ability to ramble into obscure topics which often prove to be illuminating and entertaining, though sometimes otherwise. 

One of the great strengths of this august gathering is its openness to go completely off topic, range around the universe a bit, and then end up somewhere back where it started. 

Born again bikers usually have the experience and wisdom to make interesting conversations whilst enjoying the full English breakfast they have ridden 100 miles to obtain, passing many worthy eating establishments en route. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, curlylegend said:

You'd be better hoping to wake up with a Laverda Jota parked outside and the keys under your pillow.

You bet your last rolo I'm checking on Christmas day, you never know, maybe father Christmas is on the forum. 

Probably just find some beard hair (mine hopefully) and broken dreams though.

Then I'll go have a drink and some fried sausage meat for breakfast because it's Christmas - the one time of year fried sausage meat is acceptable in the morning.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

All born again bikers have the ability to ramble into obscure topics which often prove to be illuminating and entertaining, though sometimes otherwise. 

I was just thinking that while peeling potatoes.

Born again I was when I made that leap into the great beyond and bought a Japanese bike for the first time since the Falklands War.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 29/10/2023 at 17:23, V650 said:

There can also be bargains to be had in the secondhand / used market for some good gear at cheaper prices 

And there is also the security of your bike to consider you can often get good disc locks and chains at good prices in the used marked  :-)

I would add one caveat to buying used/secondhand/preloved (?) and that is not to buy a used crash helmet. You won’t know its history. If it’s been dropped, for example. There may be structural damage which may not be obvious from a visual inspection. 

I usually go to Infinity Motorcycles when buying a lid as they go to a lot of trouble to ensure the helmet is a good fit, an essential requirement for safety. Even though I’ve owned many crash helmets over the years, and know what to look for, I still prefer having someone to guide me through the process.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1