Whisky choices

I am looking to buy my friend a nice bottle of whisky for his birthday.  I know he likes Penderyn and Talsker (think its called that).  What is peated and what does that mean?  I only drink JD and with coke so I'm looking for some guidance on 1) What is peated and 2) What to get him recommendations.

JJ

Peated whiskys are usually where the barley is smoked over peat. Gives a particularly smokey sometimes medicinal flavour. Islay whiskys are often good examples. Laphroaig is heavily peated. I like some of the Bowmore and bruichladdich releases I've tried. I'm no expert, generally a rum drinker. 

Edited by goat

29 minutes ago, janinej said:

I am looking to buy my friend a nice bottle of whisky for his birthday. 

There's no such thing as a NICE bottle of whisky !   It's full of alcohol which is a poison.  Get him a nice bottle of mineral water or a good coffee percolator....or both.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Islay whiskies are known for being peaty; Laphroaig and Lagavulin are probably the easiest to find. 

I seem to remember that last year the supermarkets had loads of single malts at 25% in the run up to Christmas. Might be worth waiting a few more weeks to see if they do the same this year.

• Like 1

@bonio is right. My regular drink is Bourbon and last year around end of November I was finding a few of my favourites for £20 a bottle rather than the £35-£40 I'm used to paying. 

Makers mark & Woodford reserve if anyones buying :mrgreen:

• Haha 1

Just hit him on the head with a hammer. In the morning the result will be the same but your purse will be a lot happier.

I speak from experience !

Edited by curlylegend
Forgot something.
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, curlylegend said:

Just hit him on the head with a hammer. In the morning the result will be the same but your purse will be a lot happier.

I speak from experience !

I like whisky too it makes my head go fuzzy really quick, but I have to have JD with coke.

39 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

Talisker Skye is what you are thinking of ( I think!) quite nice and smokey from what I remember. 

Laphroaig is one of the nicest peated whiskys in my opinion

yeah thats it Talisker, I googled and couldn't find it lol.  I saw Chinese whisky on amazon but not sure if its nice or not.

Actually the Japanese make truly excellent whisky but its expensive. I got a bottle last year for a Christmas present. Among Scotch whiskies I like Bowmore and Laphroaig. Talisker is pretty good as well. Not a fan of the Speyside whiskies generally but if its a present I'll drink just about anything! Although I've a bottle of Danish Aqvavit gathering dust in the cupboard.  

Yep, Japanese whisky is good, they own some of the Scottish distilleries. India makes whisky too. Lagavulin is lovely, was in a taxi on Islay and the driver pulled a hip flask of lagavulin out of the glove compartment and passed it round. Best taxi driver ever.

At one point Aldi had some Islay whisky they had under their own bottling that was reviewed well and good value,  but I don't know if that was a one off.

5 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Actually the Japanese make truly excellent whisky but its expensive. I got a bottle last year for a Christmas present. Among Scotch whiskies I like Bowmore and Laphroaig. Talisker is pretty good as well. Not a fan of the Speyside whiskies generally but if its a present I'll drink just about anything! Although I've a bottle of Danish Aqvavit gathering dust in the cupboard.  

What Japenese whisky would you recommend, do you have any amazon links you can share please?

JJ

On 28/10/2023 at 10:09, janinej said:

What Japenese whisky would you recommend, do you have any amazon links you can share please

Hibiki Harmony, Nikka by the barrel, Yamazaki Single malt (or 12 year old if you're feeling wealthy).

Edited by keith1200rs
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, keith1200rs said:

Hibiki Harmony, Nikki by the barrel, Yamazaki Single malt (or 12 year old if you're feeling wealthy).

Thank you Keith they look nice. About £80 on amazon for the Hibikini one 😬 budget is about £50 and that is a lot for a poor suffering student lol