Screen deflector/spoiler thingy

Regarding those flip-up little deflectors that attach to the top of the bike screen and can be angled up etc......

Are they any good, do they work?

Also, I can still get a "double bubble" screen for my bike, does that extra profile make a difference too?

Cheers

All you can do is try. see if it works for you. finding the perfect screen is all down to pot luck and some people never manage to. so they make allowances.

The flip. and double bubble were both invented by MRA and MRA are one of the very few manufacturers that actually wind tunnel test their products. But there are other factors that can easily affect how they work. (or dont) mostly your height. but also your normal riding position. so geometry.

I would suggest you go for MRA because at least if they dont work for you you will get most of your money back if you decide to sell them on.

I had a 2-piece MRA on my old GS. it worked well at removing turbulence at speed.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hi @Simon Davey, as @Gerontious say's I would go the MRA route, I personally can't ride a Honda VFR800 with a Flip screen, the last VFR came with a MRA screen and I just could't get on with it.

And I sold it on eBay, quite easily.

The same as a double bubble screen fitted to the VFR, no chance, in fact this year had to change the screen and brought a Powerbronze standard one.

And as what's been said above, it's all about how you sit on the bike, your height etc etc.

Always keep the standard screen just in case you find you can't get on with it when you do a long run!!

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, oldgrump said:

Hi @Simon Davey, as @Gerontious say's I would go the MRA route, I personally can't ride a Honda VFR800 with a Flip screen, the last VFR came with a MRA screen and I just could't get on with it.

And I sold it on eBay, quite easily.

The same as a double bubble screen fitted to the VFR, no chance, in fact this year had to change the screen and brought a Powerbronze standard one.

And as what's been said above, it's all about how you sit on the bike, your height etc etc.

Always keep the standard screen just in case you find you can't get on with it when you do a long run!!

Excellent, many thanks.

9 hours ago, Gerontious said:

All you can do is try. see if it works for you. finding the perfect screen is all down to pot luck and some people never manage to. so they make allowances.

The flip. and double bubble were both invented by MRA and MRA are one of the very few manufacturers that actually wind tunnel test their products. But there are other factors that can easily affect how they work. (or dont) mostly your height. but also your normal riding position. so geometry.

I would suggest you go for MRA because at least if they dont work for you you will get most of your money back if you decide to sell them on.

I had a 2-piece MRA on my old GS. it worked well at removing turbulence at speed.

Spot on.

My two penny worth…

I had a double bubble on my VFR800 and it made barely a jot of difference - you had to tuck down into a racing crouch to feel any effect. I did have the MRA aerofoil type thing on my Tiger 1050 and it made a significant difference, particularly on long motorway / autoroute / autobahn runs. Tested, according to my satnav, up to 127mph. It was also easy to adjust down to allow extra airflow over my lid, particularly useful touring in warm climates.

Edited by Steve_M
Correcting really, really poor grammar.
  • Thanks 2

If fitted correctly they do work but as with all screens designed to throw the air up & over, you get vortices that swirl at head level which can increase noise and more annoying in the rain, make the rain run 'backwards' and if you're really unlucky, to flick back and run down the inside of your visor. You don't realise how much you rely on wind blast to keep your visors clean until you take it away!

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Simon Davey said:

Many thanks all, the idea sounds positive (for the best part)...

I might try a cheap clip on  one to gauge the affect before buying something decent.

Buy cheap, buy twice…

I know this truism well after buying cheap woodworking tools and having to replace them with decent kit. Currently saving for a decent table saw! 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

Buy cheap, buy twice…

I know this truism well after buying cheap woodworking tools and having to replace them with decent kit. Currently saving for a decent table saw! 

I couldn't actually find anything cheap that wasn't being sold by someone in China. 

I've emailed Bikehps for a recommendation, as they have a great selection. 

31 minutes ago, onesea said:

Yep, first one I looked at on that link was available on prime delivery for tomorrow, but sold by a business in China.

If you click on the seller, they're in China.

Nothing wrong with Chinese people, nothing wrong with Chinese products, but, I don't like how Amazon and eBay sell stock of a business based abroad that isn't giving anything to the UK.

They sell it all cheap, because they can avoid all the overheads that a British business would have to pay, this of course, makes Amazon and eBay look great, because they're selling cheap stuff.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gerontious said:

Dont buy cheap. if you can't afford the real deal now, wait until you can.

Yes, that's looking likely.

Besides, I can't  yet order anything else for the bike, until I can think of something for the missus for Christmas........

I bought a cheap one off amazon and it lasted till I sold the bike and it's still going strong now with the new owner 

It would be 5 years old maybe more now! 

So cheap does work and can last 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Stu said:

I bought a cheap one off amazon and it lasted till I sold the bike and it's still going strong now with the new owner 

I agree with buying cheap whenever possible, and I often do, as long as I know it'll do the same job, and last as long as something thrice the price. A spoiler is a good example. There are plenty of bad examples though.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Simon Davey said:

I agree with buying cheap whenever possible, and I often do, as long as I know it'll do the same job, and last as long as something thrice the price. A spoiler is a good example. There are plenty of bad examples though.

I have no objection to buying cheap and direct.  

Often other “quality” products just have more middle men making a markup.  Possibly with more knowledge of quality.

With things like this where you don’t know if it will work I often buy cheap.  If it works I can replace with better or a Mk2 when I have a better idea of what I want.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Stu said:

You did well then. but there are different types of cheap. aren't there.

Amazon usually has reviews that you can read. They also have a no quibble returns policy.

My main beef isn't with stuff available on Amazon, they have to operate under UK law - which offers a lot of safeguards.

It's these Chinese websites that sell cheap knock-offs. copies. counterfeits. however you want to describe them.

Sites like Aliexpress and its ilk. I would also avoid eBay sellers based in china too.

YT is crammed with examples of these types of knockoffs. with direct comparisons with the originals. and they tend to have one thing in common.

• Like 2

I used one like the one on the left in the Amazon link. It worked ok for what it was. The cheapness was in the bracket itself, the alloy is barely metal, almost plastic alloy, I'm not describing it very well but you get my drift.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

You did well then. but there are different types of cheap. aren't there.

Amazon usually has reviews that you can read. They also have a no quibble returns policy.

My main beef isn't with stuff available on Amazon, they have to operate under UK law - which offers a lot of safeguards.

It's these Chinese websites that sell cheap knock-offs. copies. counterfeits. however you want to describe them.

Sites like Aliexpress and its ilk. I would also avoid eBay sellers based in china too.

YT is crammed with examples of these types of knockoffs. with direct comparisons with the originals. and they tend to have one thing in common.

It was cheap Chinese that took 3 weeks to arrive and cost next to nothing cheap! :?