Screen deflector/spoiler thingy

The idea was to buy it and test it to see if it worked and with it been cheap I wasn't going to lose a lot of money 

If it worked I was going to buy a decent one but it worked and was pretty good quality so it stayed 

Win win for me 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

The idea was to buy it and test it to see if it worked and with it been cheap I wasn't going to lose a lot of money 

If it worked I was going to buy a decent one but it worked and was pretty good quality so it stayed 

Win win for me 

Sadly.. I can't take these types of gambles. I earn just a few pence above the minimum wage.  so need to be sure. and the only way for me to be sure is to buy the genuine article. if I can't afford it there and then, I'll wait until I can. and save for it.

• Like 1

I've tried an cheap Amazon special with the plastic fittings and the best I'll say was, it was alright. The plastic clips never quite inspired confidence and the thing wobbled. Eventually I stumped up for a Wunderlich deflector with metal fittings. Expensive but very good. HOWEVER the one below on flea bay whilst not an exact copy of the Wunderlich one is pretty close and at least uses metal fittings. £12.65

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/386299389563?hash=item59f13ce67b:g:BBwAAOSwD5FlWzM3&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8GIyXZksxae7TynzoamxlLlDsrQhhU3gTDSzazFrX34lBpQwmZMPHNPLlWErIzo99tAqsdgeVtiSaz39f1ic1F7q8gVdV1ZxodU1W2zFKKnaj4MqdM1cRAnOf%2FC2VDKpmQWOIeBPlt8Oh0o5tOZb6Ge41Ag3fLferLtAo8eLHvacNfKfUVF16ReNqTXa5hf8DCrw%2FjGL9l5ugcfSLECV65OOCa2Pk7IV84xUoxQEa3QVmsWEAdJiRzX0qKkynevDAALyePQ9BzH8WfUshUoUpyBxaLTYuTil0cO%2BuJ1QSXbMb%2FVtM1fojkeKjMXR1fKIqw%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR6yY9OeNYw

Edited by Capt Sisko

On 15/12/2023 at 16:44, Stu said:

This is it 

image.png

I bought one of those for the KTM 890, best accessory I've bought for it. The KTM890 screen is probably the worst out there (well, maybe not as bad as the Tracer 9GT) Took a while to set it up properly, but what a difference it makes :thumb:

• Like 1

Soooooo......

Went out for an hour this morning, and although it was windy, I did get a little more bashed about than I'd like.

I have a feeling this is actually a double bubble/race screen.

Whilst I appreciate it's supposed to create a higher airflow pattern, the "bubble" does seem quite narrow, having looked at many ZZR1200's on tinternet and YouTube, I'm thinking that a standard, or touring screen might be the solution.

Do you good people agree this is a double bubble, or am I talking bo*****s?

20231217_115513.JPG

20231217_115521.JPG

20231217_115551.JPG

20231217_115700.JPG

27 minutes ago, Simon Davey said:

Soooooo......

Went out for an hour this morning, and although it was windy, I did get a little more bashed about than I'd like.

I have a feeling this is actually a double bubble/race screen.

Whilst I appreciate it's supposed to create a higher airflow pattern, the "bubble" does seem quite narrow, having looked at many ZZR1200's on tinternet and YouTube, I'm thinking that a standard, or touring screen might be the solution.

Do you good people agree this is a double bubble, or am I talking bo*****s?

20231217_115513.JPG

20231217_115521.JPG

20231217_115551.JPG

20231217_115700.JPG

That’s a double bubble. More form than function unless you ride with your head on the tank.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

That’s a double bubble. More form than function unless you ride with your head on the tank.

Brilliant, that's exactly what I was hoping someone would say. 

Thanks Steve. 

Considering throttle behaviour, I'm also thinking I don't have standard jets either, along with the Beowolf cans.. 

I would hazard a guess that a MRA flip wing would add little or no benefit even if it could be attached to the double bubble. Probably a waste of money to try.

There are a variety of screen options that are likely a better option than the double bubble for touring. BikeHPS sell a MRA spoiler screen for around £65 which might be an improvement - “might” is doing a lot of work in that comment.

Edited by Steve_M
  • Thanks 1

I put one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorcycle-Windscreen-Universal-Windshield-Transparent/dp/B07V23WDD1/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=Deflector+screen&qid=1702822789&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

On my Triumph Trophy, it then took a little whilst to find the right spot.  Although it depends what you looking to achieve.  
Bigger screens don’t always make more comfort.  Some wind is good for comfort even if colder, I ended up with short screen and flip on Trophy I keep meaning to sell the old big screen.

• Like 1

Thanks @onesea I was originally looking at something very similar, but rather than fit one to the narrow bubble that I have (which would probably be ineffective) I think I'll replace the whole screen.

Either get a standard screen and fit a spoiler that you have, or buy a touring screen, which has the spoiler shape at the top..

21 minutes ago, Simon Davey said:

Thanks @onesea I was originally looking at something very similar, but rather than fit one to the narrow bubble that I have (which would probably be ineffective) I think I'll replace the whole screen.

Either get a standard screen and fit a spoiler that you have, or buy a touring screen, which has the spoiler shape at the top..

For the Trophy I have in fact 3 screen, Small, medium and tall.  

However I have settled with the flip shown in the picture.  The one to the left is a one of the stock screens.
IMG_0502.thumb.jpeg.411bf11a24d65415a941707cea4a8f89.jpeg
Screens seem so damed personal if you have the time and can spare £17 I would suggest you buy one of these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorcycle-Deflector-Windshield-Adjustable-Universal/dp/B07TWWKBSQ/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=Deflector+screen&qid=1702824227&sr=8-5
Try it, it might help you find the size you like before investing big bucks in a screen that you don’t like.  If it’s like the trophy there is to much choice out there.

If I recall I started on a similar screen to the one on the left, went tall and ended up with the one show.

• Thanks 1

Yea depending on bikes body work to rider placement, the best way to get any benefit out of it is chin to the tank, if you had a short spine and neck with elbows very bent in alot of the time it would be better.
The double bubble there is a mini sports or style only as Steve m said.
width of it isnt the problem its the starting point of the body work and screen hight to relation to your head and body position height, if your natural head place was just a bit higher than the normal screen that db would have worked out ok. But without a side picture of your normal and normal tucked posture it's difficult say say what could be done to improve that aspect, certainly may require something else doing to it to get what you wanting Or a different bike..

Edited by RideWithStyles
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, RideWithStyles said:

Yea depending on bikes body work to rider placement, the best way to get any benefit out of it is chin to the tank, if you had a short spine and neck with elbows very bent in alot of the time it would be better.
The double bubble there is a mini sports or style only as Steve m said.
width of it isnt the problem its the starting point of the body work and screen hight to relation to your head and body position height, if your natural head place was just a bit higher than the normal screen that db would have worked out ok. But without a side picture of your normal and normal tucked posture it's difficult say say what could be done to improve that aspect, certainly may require something else doing to it to get what you wanting Or a different bike..

I'm about as tucked in as bed sheets blowing in the wind on a washing line. 

I snapped the bike up because I liked the "tourer" part of the sports tourer description. 

I'll see what cash I have after Christmas. 

Unless I can get away with buying the missus a screen for my bike for Christmas 🎅🎁

Edited by Simon Davey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Update: I managed to get an OE screen on eBay for £25, which meant I could then replace the double bubble and fit one of those cheap Chinese spoilers, which I have now done. 

Went out for an hour this morning looking forward to not feeling like I'm on a 747 wingtip. 

Alas, the difference is minimal. There's a definite difference, but not as much as I had hoped. 

Before, and after. 

20231217_115521.thumb.JPG.d15299f74fa1c3bd9bc0541c80cce45d.JPG20240105_220505.thumb.JPG.d899b387ca21a9a13b28ad07fe9c355c.JPG

Edited by Simon Davey

@Simon Davey When I had mine fitted it wasn't that high! I put the arms pointing down and tilted the spoiler to be up a bit more than the stick screen 

The idea is to create a disturbance in the airflow 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Stu said:

@Simon Davey When I had mine fitted it wasn't that high! I put the arms pointing down and tilted the spoiler to be up a bit more than the stick screen 

The idea is to create a disturbance in the airflow 

Ahhhh right, I'm with you.

That's probably why the wind was coming under it 😂

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Like so 

image.jpeg

I actually stopped the bike, did as you have, and said to myself, "no, that's just wrong".......

I'll give it a go next ride.

Many thanks Stu.

Tou probably want a bit of a gap so you're less likely to get the wind boom noise from the high air pressure bouncing off the low pressure) just infront of you/helmet, but no were near as much as that 🤭

Edited by RideWithStyles
  • Like 1