Removing ACF50?

veracocha

The sump was replaced this-morning, all good. I was surprised they returned the same oil though, thought it would have been replaced.

The spanner said he had been on a Yamaha training course last week where corrosion on the engines was quite a topic of conversation. He said Yamaha wasn't concerned at first with claims of corrosion as none of their marine customers had experienced issues and those engines saw a lot of saltwater. However, they had done some analysis of the salts that had been on motorcycles and confirmed that they were more aggressive so have adopted a more interested approach to the problem. That's why mine was replaced so readily. 

Anyway, how I came out of that shop without a Tracer 9GT+ is beyond me. 

• Like 1

possible routes going through my mind is:

1) Yamaha probably had it costed in and the dealer probably thought oh no thats not good for our margin, threw the old oil back in and pocketed the money! 
2) yama just got even meaner and penny pinching for the cheap oil sakes and said to the dealer throw that shite back in.😅

3) though to me personally if it was me it should be ok still as the oil is only a couple of thou old and youll be back later in the year for another circus raping service courtesy of the dealer anyway.
4) worse case id have waited for its next service and get them to do it then but if i was to do the dealer disservice they'd probably do it but charge yama (as a claim) and you too (hidden as techy time) to pocket both monies. Not the first time that would've happened.

• Like 1

Morning,

since the bike has done around 1k miles and the first service should have been done at 600 miles, the oil should only have done around 400 odd miles. You could argue it would be wasteful not to reuse it. 

• Like 1

On 26/01/2024 at 20:07, veracocha said:

Yamaha wasn't concerned at first with claims of corrosion as none of their marine customers had experienced issues and those engines saw a lot of saltwater. However, they had done some analysis of the salts that had been on motorcycles and confirmed that they were more aggressive

I've often wondered if anyone has successfully put in a claim to their council over rust from road salts. People do it all the time for pot hole damage and I'd argue that road salt kills a lot more cars than pot holes. 

Getting off track... I'm glad they fixed it free of charge, hopefully the new one holds up a little longer. 

• Like 1

On 28/01/2024 at 10:25, Nick the wanderer said:

Once upon a time people would get a winter hack and save their best bike for when the salt was washed off the road.

Some of us still do. 

Unfortunately the British weather means that the winter hack has become an all seasons necessity. 

• Haha 1

Nope youll get absolutely no where with that train of thought because their obligation is to try and keep roads open, clear, safe as possible (within reason).

So a little inconvenience of salt corrosion is the far lesser evil for everyone concerned than most roads being un passable and dangerous due to snow and ice.

if i was in power id make all seasons tyres the law for cars and vans, or at least over a certain point in the year.

On 28/01/2024 at 10:49, veracocha said:

Thing is the bike, being a 23 plate, hasn't seen salty conditions. It was only during a one off ride/clean did the problem become apparent.  

Think its less salt more poor materials, parts and  workmanship.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Things got worse today, much worse. With a trip to Scotland next week I thought I would give the bike an oil/filter change so I was delighted when the courier arrived with the kit. All good until I went to tighten the sump plug. Not having got to the torque wrench out yet I nipped it up with my Halfords professional socket set the damned thing just kept turning. Removing the bolt I noticed a coil of thread around it......yep, I'd stripped the sump hole. Got onto the dealer to ask if my old sump was still there and could I have it back. Luckily it was still there so I could fetch it but they wanted the newly stripped one back. 

Off with the exhaust and associated fittings and off came the sump. On inspection I could see lots of paint loss in exactly the same place as the previous sump. Took it to the dealer and reminded him that it was only four weeks ago they swapped it. Not bothered about paint loss as long as the thing holds oil and after a successful refit/fil all is good in the world once more and I can look forward to Scotland on my lonesome. What a day!

• Sad 3

10 hours ago, veracocha said:

Things got worse today, much worse. With a trip to Scotland next week I thought I would give the bike an oil/filter change so I was delighted when the courier arrived with the kit. All good until I went to tighten the sump plug. Not having got to the torque wrench out yet I nipped it up with my Halfords professional socket set the damned thing just kept turning. Removing the bolt I noticed a coil of thread around it......yep, I'd stripped the sump hole. Got onto the dealer to ask if my old sump was still there and could I have it back. Luckily it was still there so I could fetch it but they wanted the newly stripped one back. 

Off with the exhaust and associated fittings and off came the sump. On inspection I could see lots of paint loss in exactly the same place as the previous sump. Took it to the dealer and reminded him that it was only four weeks ago they swapped it. Not bothered about paint loss as long as the thing holds oil and after a successful refit/fil all is good in the world once more and I can look forward to Scotland on my lonesome. What a day!

Strewth, and I thought I was unlucky. 

Glad you still have a usable bike though. 

• Like 1

Folks on the XSR site moan about Yamaha torque settings being too high. The sump bolt in particular being a 15mm drain plug doesn't need 43nm of torque, 25nm is sufficient with a new crush washer. IMO

2 hours ago, Nick the wanderer said:

Folks on the XSR site moan about Yamaha torque settings being too high. The sump bolt in particular being a 15mm drain plug doesn't need 43nm of torque, 25nm is sufficient with a new crush washer. IMO

Interesting. The technician was kind enough to fit the sump plug onto old sump for me and he said 23nm. The book is way off in that case.

• Like 3

On 20/03/2024 at 19:35, veracocha said:

What bike have you got mate if you don’t mind me asking. Thanks 

48 minutes ago, veracocha said:

It's a Yamaha Tracer 7, 23 plate. 

I have a mt07 23 plate so really interested in your post . I’ll be doing a service soon my self for the first time . I’ll probably use an oil extraction pump to remove the oil as it works like a charm on my car the I can just never undo the drain plug. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mikeyd said:

I have a mt07 23 plate so really interested in your post . I’ll be doing a service soon my self for the first time . I’ll probably use an oil extraction pump to remove the oil as it works like a charm on my car the I can just never undo the drain plug. 

An extraction pump works but if you've got any small metal filings in there they won't drain out. 

• Like 1

On 22/03/2024 at 21:03, mikeyd said:

Easy enough to do an oil and filter change on these the conventional way, just remember to fit a new crush washer on the sump plug bolt and don't overtighten them. 23nm only.

• Like 1

You need to make sure you haven't got a sump baffle that will cause an obstruction too 

• Like 1

I use one of those on cars, never had bike it worked on due to the design of the sumps. 

• Like 1