Will a CBR1000F Start Without Exhausts Attached?

Granted, I've got a tonne of other jobs before I even think of firing up the CBR1000F I have in my garage: ata. minimum the carbs need more cleaning, the cooling system needs to be refitted and filled (hopefully no leaks), the oil needs to be done and the spark plugs replaced... but if I were to do all that and hook up a temporary fuel source and jump it from a good battery (or a new one)... would it fire without the exhaust headers being attached? I know if it's anything like my other bike it'll need the airbox on to be happy, but I'm not sure if back pressure is required? I ask because there's some studs in there that are going to be a whole level of hard in themselves. Looks like somebody previously tried welding nuts to them and failed to get them out, so they're not going to be easy.

From my (limited) understanding you can cause issues with the valves by running an engine for too long without the exhaust/headers. One of the smarter ones will be along to explain in a minute probably :lol:

• Haha 1

@Tiggie is right (Woo Hoow).

There is the risk of damage.

However when your ears stop bleeding and the tinnitus starts to become bearable you will still be apologising to your neighbours.

Don`t run an engine without at least header pipes.

Cheers

Ian

• Haha 1

i used to know a lad who lived near me and he had a plymouth barracuda v8 that in in its earlier life was an indi 500 pace car and he used to run it straight out of the manifold with no exhaust and it sounded mean  😵‍💫

Edited by skyrider

To answer your question.  Yes it will start.  It will sound like a cross between a lawnmower and a popcorn machine.

Edited by Tinkicker
  • Haha 1

even the french aint that savage while pissed up and trying to kill an engine at the bol d'or camp.

Yea you could (to QUICK test if the engine starts under the assumption it's a sound engine ie if rebuild or buying from a scrap merch after hand crank compression check before hand. REALLY i wouldn't unless really necessary.

oh and for giggles attach a ballon to the pipe(s) and cut the end off and start it up for amusement!

Edited by RideWithStyles
  • Haha 1

Thanks all, sounds like the best move is to try and get the headers on there. Time to get some good penetrating oil and spend a few months adding some every day I think!

Hi 

yes you can carry on with the other jobs but if the exhaust studs need sorting, they need sorting. I'd be looking at doing those sooner rather than later. If you can't fix them and then you need new barrels, well anyway one job at a time..

• Like 1