The life is a spark plug!

onesea

This has bit me twice now, bike then outboard both started running rough. A little slow to start once or twice, maybe an occasional miss fire.

Me thinking I should service this, it will be ok for a week or so when I get chance.

Next time I go to start NOTHING, both resolved by changing the Spark Plug.  Neither where THAT old one maybe 2 years? 

Is it the Ethanol?  Is it a change in spark plug manufacture?

Either way just be aware.

NGK, bike one was iridium so put quick death to that but outboard 2 stroke just standard.

IMG_20240105_120044_HDR.thumb.jpg.fa0692bad23c99c714933869b439209a.jpgFrom the outboard.

Edited by onesea
  • Like 1

Iridium plugs in my bike are 5 years old now, passed 24,000 miles. fuel has been nothing aside from normal E10 and the plugs aren't due to be replaced until 32K.  no issues. bike starts the same as if it was new.

Yea that plug is very good really.

iridiums are very durable like three to five times more than plats or coppers so easy with heat and use reasons but if your coils or electrical system weren't really designed for them from the factory and their abit worn out they canbe trouble. Id be checking those out.

39 minutes ago, RideWithStyles said:

Yea that plug is very good really.

iridiums are very durable like three to five times more than plats or coppers so easy with heat and use reasons but if your coils or electrical system weren't really designed for them from the factory and their abit worn out they canbe trouble. Id be checking those out.

Iridiums require less power than standard spark plugs so are better suited to older bikes with original electrics than standards. The FAQs generally recommend reducing the gap by 0.1mm if the electrical system is noticeably weakened.

But obviously if the system is noticeably weakened that’s not something that should be ignored for long as it’s likely to affect the starter motor and that’s definitely not good.

Spark plugs with me do tend to be first port of call when running rough, along with a service.

Both motors did start and run better with simple spark plug change. Just one to watch if your bike starts running rough with no explanation.

The cost of changing electrics on either is more than there worth, so not a consideration.

2 hours ago, Bender said:

Plug looks ok, I doubt petrol is issue if you've changed plugs, if it's a shit plug and insulation has gone could be missing now and again

The outboard just wouldn’t start, however she had been used in rain last few runs and put away (left in car) wet. So probably damp was factor.  Both used all weathers all year so do have (and had) a hard life.

Edited by onesea

Gero is correct if like to like comparsion with cues if the system is good for it (fueling and ecu etc), but it can be easy to ge it wrong with best case fouling or so on especially with older vehicles, from experience  (not my own problem) with other vehicles. 

in general rule iridiums are better for hotter use case engines.

The other techno reasoning  if they get hold of the wrong insulation for the plug as that what they believe or were just supplied plug (cold or hot), not saying this is defo the problem but spreading the info.

Out board? We talking boats? 

Cool sounds like a little gem.

To be honest no real experience with outboards but as an engine in that case the normal plug in still be looks good enough with the assumption the fueling is spot on for it now.

8 hours ago, RideWithStyles said:

Cool sounds like a little gem.

To be honest no real experience with outboards but as an engine in that case the normal plug in still be looks good enough with the assumption the fueling is spot on for it now.

The art with outboards (and bikes IMHO) is not to tamper with the Carb.  Mine hasn’t been touched (in 20+ years) other than to clean the bowl and spray with carb cleaner.

Most carbs self clean with use, get it running and Italian tune up.

• Like 1