Insufficient lever travel

k3lv

1 hour ago, husoi said:

Not the first time the friction bit of the lever gets worn enough to start to give problems.

A good inspection of both the lever and the end bit of the MC piston for extra wear should help the investigation.

and yes @k3lv can't go wrong with a trip to Scotland :) 

Lever end is a little worn ....piston is fine ,I've noticed the adjuster wheel is also a little loose ...so maybe a couple mm here and there is all adding up . I'd love to ride to Scotland...but when it warms up a little 

• Like 1

I strongly advise against trying to shim the lever and the piston 

You could cause the pads to bind which generates heat and locks on the brakes! 

A member did this a few years ago with a set of aftermarket levers that didn't fit right luckily he had ABS so the bike came to a rather quick stop without issues! He has to walk home and get spanners to release it 

I can confirm though that you have stock levers 

I can also tell you that I have had 2 GSXR SRAD's and a TL1000s with the same brake setup and i they was shockingly bad and also extremely hard to bleed all the air out 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Stu said:

I strongly advise against trying to shim the lever and the piston 

You could cause the pads to bind which generates heat and locks on the brakes! 

A member did this a few years ago with a set of aftermarket levers that didn't fit right luckily he had ABS so the bike came to a rather quick stop without issues! He has to walk home and get spanners to release it 

I can confirm though that you have stock levers 

I can also tell you that I have had 2 GSXR SRAD's and a TL1000s with the same brake setup and i they was shockingly bad and also extremely hard to bleed all the air out 

Yeah it does feel real sketchy shimming , think I'm just gonna replace the front brakes completely.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, k3lv said:

Yeah it does feel real sketchy shimming , think I'm just gonna replace the front brakes completely.

What's your location? maybe someone close could take a look and give a second opinion?

i mean holy moly how many miles and brake activations must there have been to make a lever (aluminium) and piston (coated steel) wear out enough for the piston to not move a few microns to a 1/85-a1/4 mm??? 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Stu said:

What's your location? maybe someone close could take a look and give a second opinion?

I'm in Staffordshire, everyone I know that rides is stumped , ones an ex bike mech lol . 

19 hours ago, RideWithStyles said:

i mean holy moly how many miles and brake activations must there have been to make a lever (aluminium) and piston (coated steel) wear out enough for the piston to not move a few microns to a 1/85-a1/4 mm??? 

She is an old girl now 😂 ..I don't know if these levers are prone to bending or just snapping , maybe it's a combo of worn parts and a slight bend , I've ordered a used lever and a set of pattern parts so I can compare .

The new pattern lever came today ....it is a bit better ....takes a lot more force to pull the lever to the bar ,but it can be done 😔

Thanks for the help and suggestions folks but I'm gonna just swap the whole front system . 

5 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

If you are going to do that try and replace it with Nissin. 

Yeah that's what I'm hoping to get , shame would have liked to keep it as stock as I can (even though someone's put an awful under tail thing on it .... luckily one that keeps the original rear light) 

Might have to grab those thanks , just stripping the brakes off now gonna do one last rebuild ......just incase , I have noticed this scratch in the MC .....not sure if it would cause the issue I'm having 

20240302_144649.jpg

Love it MB.

looks like its been scratched to death by every owner and mechanic going....nearly every avenue have been check and assured by yourself but doing more to it or finding it that is masking or making the problem? you could Very very gently (and i mean very f ing gently) with very very fine sand paper or file clean it up (smooth it out) and try one last ditched time? failing that then try a different MC.

with the way this saga keeps going now were going into the thought of are all the components actually clean with smooth surfaces including for the banjos and crush washers to mate to at the correct torque? is there any tiny cracks or dings anywhere that might suggest high impact or being dropped previously? are these things original to the bike or bodged from a scrapper?

correct one time use (ideally) for those copper washer badboi's if your going to ensure it's properly done.

12 hours ago, RideWithStyles said:

Love it MB.

looks like its been scratched to death by every owner and mechanic going....nearly every avenue have been check and assured by yourself but doing more to it or finding it that is masking or making the problem? you could Very very gently (and i mean very f ing gently) with very very fine sand paper or file clean it up (smooth it out) and try one last ditched time? failing that then try a different MC.

with the way this saga keeps going now were going into the thought of are all the components actually clean with smooth surfaces including for the banjos and crush washers to mate to at the correct torque? is there any tiny cracks or dings anywhere that might suggest high impact or being dropped previously? are these things original to the bike or bodged from a scrapper?

correct one time use (ideally) for those copper washer badboi's if your going to ensure it's properly done.

All new steel hoses,washers,and banjo bolts all done up with a torque wrench. Got it all steipped off the bike now as I'm gonna swap the whole system out , so now I can bench test the whole system over and over and just see whats causing the issue 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, k3lv said:

All new steel hoses,washers,and banjo bolts all done up with a torque wrench. Got it all steipped off the bike now as I'm gonna swap the whole system out , so now I can bench test the whole system over and over and just see whats causing the issue 

Good luck Kelv, you'll be our resident brake expert by the time you're finished.

• Haha 1

On 08/03/2024 at 20:57, Simon Davey said:

Good luck Kelv, you'll be our resident brake expert by the time you're finished.

Or I'll lose my mind trying 🤣 so if I go quiet please send help to the local Staffordshire asylum 👍

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/03/2024 at 19:53, Simon Davey said:

@k3lv

Have you seen this? I'll assume you have, but here it is anyway.

Not seen it yet but got it saved to watch later,ain't had any time to play yet though 😞 a friend of a friend sold me his old 750 calipers and MC so put that on .

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, k3lv said:

Not seen it yet but got it saved to watch later,ain't had any time to play yet though 😞 a friend of a friend sold me his old 750 calipers and MC so put that on .

That's great, keep us posted.