How to visit the Isle of Man TT with limited budget ?

TheRosssiiii

Hello :)

i would like to visit isle of man tt but i would like to know some advice to save some money because i think that any Airbnb or hotels will be very expensive in that period of the year.

From Manchester airport, what is the closest ferry that go to Isle of Man ?

bye :)

Its never cheap going to the TT but to go on a budget and keep costs low go as a foot passenger via the hydofoils from liverpool or the ferries from Heysham further up the coast. TT week is the most expensive but if you go the week before to watch practice and perhaps stay for a couple of days racing on the Saturday and monday then a ferry back can cut the cost. Or go mid race week and come back well after the races as the island winds down.There are campsites that rent tents to save taking all the stuff with you and up in the paddock area there is a hotel made out of container like structures that you can book by the day I think. I think the tourist board have a scheme matching visitors to home owners on the island that are willing to hoast guests, Have a look at that on the IOM website. Good luck with your trip it is well worth a visit an amazing specticle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Old-codger said:

Its never cheap going to the TT but to go on a budget and keep costs low go as a foot passenger via the hydofoils from liverpool or the ferries from Heysham further up the coast. TT week is the most expensive but if you go the week before to watch practice and perhaps stay for a couple of days racing on the Saturday and monday then a ferry back can cut the cost. Or go mid race week and come back well after the races as the island winds down.There are campsites that rent tents to save taking all the stuff with you and up in the paddock area there is a hotel made out of container like structures that you can book by the day I think. I think the tourist board have a scheme matching visitors to home owners on the island that are willing to hoast guests, Have a look at that on the IOM website. Good luck with your trip it is well worth a visit an amazing specticle.

and the camp site at peel is good , the guy who used to run it his name is phil dont know if he still does as i havent been over for eight years 

Second the peel campsite but not been there since covid it was council run and a good site, Glen Wyllin at Kirk Michael is very good also right on the coarse. You have the big site on the rugby pitches I think its Bradden bridge that has tents to rent but look it up.

Getting to the Isle of Man for TT cheaply ...... In a word ....... Impossible!  Long been known that travel costs to and from this island are scandalous.  If you can find accommodation, any accommodation, you'll be lucky.  Most accommodation is booked up a year in advance.  You can sometimes get homestay accommodation, but again, it's expensive, but you can sometimes mitigate the cost if there's a few of you coming and sharing. 

The middle, long weekend of TT is the most expensive time.  If you want to try and keep things cheap then avoid that long weekend, and you would need to travel as a foot passenger, as @Old-codger said.  Camping would be the way forward, and some of the out of town camp sites would be the cheaper options.  Not sure where you're travelling from so can't say which is the closest ferry, but they run from Heysham and Liverpool.

• Thanks 1

@manxie49 Is the campsite at the trout farm in Kirk Michael still going? (Clearwater trout farm??).

We used to use that as a group with the bikes in a long wheelbase transit and it worked out very slightly less than scandalous if there were 5 or 6 of us going.

Cheers

Ian

1 hour ago, Ian Frog said:

@manxie49 Is the campsite at the trout farm in Kirk Michael still going? (Clearwater trout farm??).

We used to use that as a group with the bikes in a long wheelbase transit and it worked out very slightly less than scandalous if there were 5 or 6 of us going.

Cheers

Ian

Not sure if that re-opened, I believe it did close after the owner sold the land??  There is another one just down the road at the football club though.

• 4 weeks later...

I went last year pretty cheap. I went a couple of days before practice started and stayed in a lovely lady's house for about £60 a night, including full English every morning. She was walking distance from Bray Hill. 

• Like 1

Sorry for the short response previously but i was on my phone. 

Homestay.im - Official homestay for the Isle of Man TT & Manx Grand Prix. - HomeStay.im - The Official TT & MGP HomeStay Provider

I booked very late as it was a spur of the moment decision so had to make do with what was left, this meant going to race week was not really an option.  Homestay is a way to get accommodation and is great.  I didn't want to camp as i wanted to ensure i have a dry warm bed and a shower, as it happened it was the hottest TT for a very long time.  

As for the ferry, it is what it is really because there is not really any cheap way of doing this (especially if you want to take your bike).  The ferry is the main hinderance when going to IOM as there are only a limited number of crossings.  One possible way i have heard about is for 2 or 3 people to share and take a van with your bikes in, you will save a little as taking 1 van is cheaper than taking 2 bikes.  I travelled from Liverpool as it is closer to my home (not by much), shorter crossing and had larger ferries, this is not not the case any more as Haysham has a new much larger ferry (Maxman) and i have heard its a nicer port than Liverpool and possible a little cheaper.  

While you are there everything is as cheap as you want to make it.  Eating, fuel etc is about the same cost as the UK.  

The only piece of advice i would give you is ....... if budget is a real hinderance, save your money until next year.  This way you can add to your budget and book accommodation and ferry early so you have more choices.  Doing it on a shoestring may hinder your experience.   Good luck and enjoy, it is a great experience.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with trying to find things from homestay.im. Best option for IOM and many other live event type situations as long as you're by yourself (possible as a couple but your options will be limited)...