What to do with keys???

Any genius ideas on how to have the ignition key separate from the other keys, but without losing them?

I have 3 keys for locks, and three luggage keys as well as my bike key on one keyring, rattling about on my fork yolk.

What do you guys do?

The obvious answer is to just divide them up, but I just know I'll end up losing a set..

I keep the ignition key entirely separate from all other keys. and then luggage keys on the same ring as my house keys. so obviously whenever I go out I always have the luggage keys with me (with my house keys)

Because my ignition key is remarkably valuable.. its chip key so replacement is very expensive. I keep the spare with my documents, in a safe place. And my daily use ignition key also in a safe place ready for use, downstairs. so, when going out I pick it up and with my house keys have everything. Im also very careful to put the ignition key back where it belongs upon my return - without fail.

If Im out and about on the bike and the bike is to be left, the ignition key goes in my pocket. separate from my house keys, I did used to have a separate clasp on the ring to secure it, but when that failed I didn't bother ton replace it.

Its become habit to always look at the ignition as I walk away too make doubly sure the key is not there.

When I travel... I take the spare key with me and store that in one of the internal pockets in my jacket that can be zipped closed and is never normally used. so, if I were to mislay my normal use key, I have a spare.

I would rather be seen as paranoid by checking and double checking. refusing to be rushed, especially when abroad as the one thing I don't want to have to worry about is losing or mislaying the key and ending up stuck. a nightmare scenario.

when on tour always take a spare and keep it somewhere safe. on your person. hidden safely in your jacket or trousers. (jacket in my case)

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Simon Davey said:

Many thanks guys, I'm a creature of habit, so it seems they need to be entirely separate, and I'll have to create a methodical habit.

It's very easy. Take less than 1 second to attach your bike key to a carribener. 

• Like 1

im paranoid (ocd) about keys at the best of times but i have a large ring has the following keys: 

1. ground anchor lock.

2. bike ignition.

3. top box.

4. disc lock.

5. mobile chain and lock, the locks not really for disc lock duty.

6. house key on separate quick release clip like what hairsy suggested, cos its need mostly on the car set.

7? Ollie my riding buddy, safety first! if hes not in my pocket.

tried the two separates a couple of times: house, bike, topbox and the rest on a different set. not doing that again in a rush.

dont want that to happen again! thought i lost it before or at evening college while it was pitch black, rode home slowly 14+miles wet and cold conditions through motorway and fast tight bumpy back roads to see if i could find it.

got home and thought shite not getting them back! 🤬then just as i was putting the cover back on and settled on being pissed off about losing them then something caught my eye...🫤

i dont know how but they seemingly managed to stay ontop of the clutch side controls with each key sloted between each cable, the clutch, switch and heated grip wires/controller there the whole journey there and back! 😵😅

• Like 2

Just a suggestion but for many years I have put one of those coloured key rings on to all of my keys, the type you can open and write on the card inside. I then put my mobile number on it then if I ever lose the keys and someone finds them they can give me a ring to reunite me with the keys. A word of caution though if you do lose the keys and some one rings, agree to meet them away from bike/car/house that the keys fit just incase they are thiefing morons. 99.9 % of people are decent and will try to reunite yo with the keys. Over the years I have found loads of keys while out with the dog and try to get them back to the owners.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

nice thought and normally wouldn't disagree in an ideal world but....

this is my lot, without house keys, but with safety clip for my buddy who's asleep in his bucket upstairs. image.thumb.jpg.933657e268557474aeffefbbdb19e4b3.jpg

luckly oldschool suzi keys are simple and super slim, the previous benellis keys were huge with ott surround/shroud that was three keys worth, i dont know why cos they didnt add and premium ...

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, RideWithStyles said:

im paranoid (ocd) about keys at the best of times but i have a large ring has the following keys: 

1. ground anchor lock.

2. bike ignition.

3. top box.

4. disc lock.

5. mobile chain and lock, the locks not really for disc lock duty.

6. house key on separate quick release clip like what hairsy suggested, cos its need mostly on the car set.

7? Ollie my riding buddy, safety first! if hes not in my pocket.

tried the two separates a couple of times: house, bike, topbox and the rest on a different set. not doing that again in a rush.

dont want that to happen again! thought i lost it before or at evening college while it was pitch black, rode home slowly 14+miles wet and cold conditions through motorway and fast tight bumpy back roads to see if i could find it.

got home and thought shite not getting them back! 🤬then just as i was putting the cover back on and settled on being pissed off about losing them then something caught my eye...🫤

i dont know how but they seemingly managed to stay ontop of the clutch side controls with each key sloted between each cable, the clutch, switch and heated grip wires/controller there the whole journey there and back! 😵😅

With that kind of luck, you should have bought a lottery ticket 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Old-codger said:

Just a suggestion but for many years I have put one of those coloured key rings on to all of my keys, the type you can open and write on the card inside. I then put my mobile number on it then if I ever lose the keys and someone finds them they can give me a ring to reunite me with the keys. A word of caution though if you do lose the keys and some one rings, agree to meet them away from bike/car/house that the keys fit just incase they are thiefing morons. 99.9 % of people are decent and will try to reunite yo with the keys. Over the years I have found loads of keys while out with the dog and try to get them back to the owners.

Another great idea, cheers 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RideWithStyles said:

last time i saw one exactly like that was when my grandad was around....and i was alot younger.

I'm guessing you must have just had your 17th birthday

7 hours ago, Bender said:

Keys you say..

Thanks for that. 

Similar to what @Vic101 suggested.

All my extra keys have a bulk of plastic on them, just to make sure they take up as much room as possible. 

• Like 1

My (BMW keyless) 'ignition key' fob and my disc lock key go into a Aquapac waterproof plastic pouch which is on a lanyard around my neck. This means the fob is protected (replacements are £250+) and It's kind of difficult to lose if the pouch is around your neck; plus if I walk away from the bike having forgotten to turn it off, the bike will shut down after 90sec after the fob goes out of range. The house, garage door remote & other keys go on one large keyring and into a bright orange double layered mesh bag that came with something or other, and then into my tank bag, top box or panniers depending on what I riding with. I figure I'm only going to need the latter when I get back home and the bright orange bag make them easy to find and stops them rattling around.

Lastly, having seen the damage hard & pointy things in your trousers (ooh err missus) can do to people. I don't really like putting keys or anything hard & pokie in my trouser or jacket pockets.

Edited by Capt Sisko
  • Thanks 1

ive seen this once, where a fella had his ignition key at one end of one of those curly whirly disc lock reminder things. one end attached to him and the other end to the key. I thought at  the time that there must be some horror story behind his decision to ensure the key was never left in the bike. I didn't ask.

• Haha 1