Forks gone?

MaxK

Had my bike parked up at work, steer lock was on and bike was obviously full lock left and due to the beautiful weather of this country the bike fell to the right and now my forks have decided to ‘expand’ to the point they’re touching the handle bars, no film of oil that I can feel and the suspension feels harder I suppose? Does this mean my forks are to be replaced or can I fix this myself?

IMG_0536.thumb.jpeg.7f11544bec556a00ed4257b8668d0f99.jpegIMG_0537.thumb.jpeg.7638e6d0696cc5bdbd04810b9dee1ad8.jpegIMG_0535.thumb.jpeg.7d7f6239f169d7446f59a5b591d572fa.jpegIMG_0538.thumb.jpeg.7abbc3582b1692db05ded8dc4d02a273.jpeg

For reference this is what they’re supposed to look like:IMG_0539.thumb.jpeg.94aca352ec13494d3f3e24116302f5e2.jpeg

Maybe they weren't tightened properly and the fall have push them up.

That will affect the feel of the suspension.

Have you tried bringing them to the correct position?

• Like 2

Just now, husoi said:

Maybe they weren't tightened properly and the fall have push them up.

That will affect the feel of the suspension.

Have you tried bringing them to the correct position?

You are talking to someone who knows nothing about motorbikes and just watches videos / reads forums to fix stuff 😬

How exactly would I bring them to the right position? Loosen the 4 bolts on my triple clamp and just push them down by hand?

Basically yes.

Make sure you have something like a jack under the bike to prevent the forks trying to go any further and to help with the weight of he bike.

Undo the 4 bolts so the forks can move easily.

Push the forks down into place.

Measure the distance from the cap to the top brace and make sure is exactly the sam on both sides.

Then tight the bolts. Not like an orangutan on steroids

take the jack off and you will be good to go :thumb: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, husoi said:

Basically yes.

Make sure you have something like a jack under the bike to prevent the forks trying to go any further and to help with the weight of he bike.

Undo the 4 bolts so the forks can move easily.

Push the forks down into place.

Measure the distance from the cap to the top brace and make sure is exactly the sam on both sides.

Then tight the bolts. Not like an orangutan on steroids

take the jack off and you will be good to go :thumb: 

I can’t physically express how much you’ve just helped me, thank you so much. Your diagnosis was spot on and I’ve fixed the issue now.

By any chance do you have a torque spec for the pinch bolts?

• Like 3

Without looking at the service manual I won't be able to tell.

I think Google will be your best  chance to find out about torque figures.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's a strange thing to happen by the bike just falling over. Usually the forks get more force on the whilst riding. Are you sure no-one messed about with your bike? 

For all four clamps to be loose enough for the forks to slide up is very odd. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

That's a strange thing to happen by the bike just falling over. Usually the forks get more force on the whilst riding. Are you sure no-one messed about with your bike? 

I think I dropped the frame by accident when messing around with my swing arm and loosening and tightening the triple clamp ages ago to straighten up my handle bars, after fixing them I’ve noticed the ride is so much better now and I no longer scrape lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 28/03/2024 at 15:15, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Must admit when i seen that photo I thought someone had run in to it for both to get pushed up like that

Glad to see he got it sorted though  

Edited by V650