Lifting swing arm to lineup with bolt

MaxK

Anyone got a clue on how to lift the other side of the swing arm to line it up and be able to get a bolt through it? I’ve got a broken finger and hydraulic jack at my disposal

IMG_0517.thumb.jpeg.715a5eae3842fed6e91cf9c97d8cc468.jpeg

IMG_0518.thumb.jpeg.064bef603d468e6932c7e4a48fa75629.jpeg

Have you got a bolt or a wooden dowel sligthly smaller than the axle, put the swing arm bolt in from one side to hold that side up then move to the other side and slide your temp dowel into support that side. Hopefully you will be able to slid the swinging arm bolt in further and further then gently push the temp dowel out as the swinging arm bolt goes through th frame. You may need to giggle the arm about a bit but it should line up.

• Like 2

Definitely got closer with this method but its as if the swing arm is too short and can’t move horizontally enough to line up, I’ve angled the bike as straight as I can before it falls and I can’t even get a 3/8th extension in thereIMG_0520.thumb.jpeg.b4480b5936ad45d293e041d4d32e2c0c.jpeg

Because you have the back wheel in still you have a lot of forces pushing the swingarm away from where you want it. Including the chain being tight.

Get some muscle to help lift the wheel to align it all.

• Like 1

Cheers for the help guys

For the person reading this in 5 years time with the exact same issue, my recommendation is to go to a garage and pay someone to do this for you but if you’re in too deep this is what I did:

- With a hydraulic car jack lift the left side of the swing arm and insert the bolt, this part should be semi easy

- Knock it in until it hits the swing arm on the other side

- For this part you NEED 2 people minimum, 3 if you can. For 2 people: Rest the left side of the bike diagonally against a wall so you can access the rear of the bike (Front handle bar/tyre touching the wall)

- Have one person on the right side of the bike, he has to push the rear of the frame towards the wall trying to line up the swing arm

- And the other person has to be on the left of the bike lifting the rear by holding the underside of the seat and pulling it up, adjust until lined up

- Now when the person on the right decides its lined up, the person on the left has to smack the bolt a couple of times to get the bolt to partially go in (Do not use much force if the bolt can it will go in)

- If its in, first of all hoorah, second of all you’ll now realise the left side isnt lined up and the little cylinder isnt going in

- You now have to slightly lift the left swing arm with a hydraulic jack until the bolt looks straight and smack it with a hammer, adjust car jack until it works

- After all the faff you should be able to put the nut on the thread and celebrate

• Like 5

2 hours ago, MaxK said:

Cheers for the help guys

For the person reading this in 5 years time with the exact same issue, my recommendation is to go to a garage and pay someone to do this for you but if you’re in too deep this is what I did:

- With a hydraulic car jack lift the left side of the swing arm and insert the bolt, this part should be semi easy

- Knock it in until it hits the swing arm on the other side

- For this part you NEED 2 people minimum, 3 if you can. For 2 people: Rest the left side of the bike diagonally against a wall so you can access the rear of the bike (Front handle bar/tyre touching the wall)

- Have one person on the right side of the bike, he has to push the rear of the frame towards the wall trying to line up the swing arm

- And the other person has to be on the left of the bike lifting the rear by holding the underside of the seat and pulling it up, adjust until lined up

- Now when the person on the right decides its lined up, the person on the left has to smack the bolt a couple of times to get the bolt to partially go in (Do not use much force if the bolt can it will go in)

- If its in, first of all hoorah, second of all you’ll now realise the left side isnt lined up and the little cylinder isnt going in

- You now have to slightly lift the left swing arm with a hydraulic jack until the bolt looks straight and smack it with a hammer, adjust car jack until it works

- After all the faff you should be able to put the nut on the thread and celebrate

after all that  you take it all off again and put the spacer in place 

don't ask how I know

• Haha 3

Ratchet straps are the unknown essential tools of any toolkit 

If you'd had a couple of those, you could have used them to pull it all into alignment. 

37 minutes ago, Simon Davey said:

Ratchet straps are the unknown essential tools of any toolkit 

If you'd had a couple of those, you could have used them to pull it all into alignment. 

I did have them but I was keeping them as a last resort, my bike is mainly plastic and the last thing I wanted to do after a crash is to ruin the bike more by cracking something

• Like 1

The easiest way would have been to remove the rear wheel, taking all the weight off the swingarm. Chocking the bike up from underneath the engine or holding it off the floor with straps from the seat area.

I know you've done it now but in the future sort of thing. Glad you got it sorted anyway, good job!

• Like 1

if you remove the wheel, moved the chain off the rear sprocket, loosen the shocks bolts, lifted the subframe up to unweighted the swing arm you would have made it very easy.