Risers.. no space to tighten… am I being thick??

peatear

So, I’m attempting to install some bar risers.

However the issue I’m having is , I can’t tighten the bolts holding the risers themselves (the original handle bars bits) them once on. As the bolts are covered by the riser… if I tighten either side a lot it doesn’t move (naturally) to then be able to tighten the other side. 

am I missing something here, am I really that thick? 
The gap between riser and top of the bolts when in place is about 3 cm.

fwMefMp.jpegG4Uq1T6.jpeg2u8xT2N.jpeg

11 minutes ago, RideWithStyles said:

is the top raiser bracket bolts /thread straight through? remove the upper bracket and bar, will the allen key pass through to tighten the bolt?

if your really struggling you could change the bolts to hexs...

That is what I thought but even if the risers were directly inline with original , the bolt hole on riser isn't actually directly inline with main bolt hole. 
The riser instructions say tighten one side as much as you can until you cant anymore without it moving. 
Then move to place and tighten other side. Which sort of works, however isn't in the exact spot i'd like them. 
So i'll see how we go with them. However on turning full lock left, The throttle line looks to be being taken to its full length.
Not stressed/pulled on as such, but defo at the end of its run. Will have to keep an eye on it, not sure of the option with that.

With a disc cutter slice a bit off the correct size allen key that will drop in the allen bolt then just tighten said allen key with a open ended spanner.

Or am I reading it all wrong.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Old-codger said:

With a disc cutter slice a bit off the correct size allen key that will drop in the allen bolt then just tighten said allen key with a open ended spanner.

Or am I reading it all wrong.

good idea but if you dont have a cutter or hate the idea of chopping a good set up..

bought this hex set from halfords about a year for so ago, under £20, used it for loads of parts on the suzuki and cbf.image.thumb.jpg.e7c72cac0ba7ca5bec647768bcab3a3f.jpg

• Like 2

23 hours ago, RideWithStyles said:

if your really struggling you could change the bolts to hexs...

I think that's what I would do in that situation.  I suspect whoever designed the risers assumed the lower bolts would be conventional hex heads.

• Thanks 1

I’ve fitted risers to almost every bike I’ve owned and I have NEVER had any that didn’t come with a full complement of hex bolts. Some use the originals - depending on the design. Some with longer bolts.- that’s more usual. Always Hex.

• Like 1

On 11/05/2024 at 10:38, RideWithStyles said:

good idea but if you dont have a cutter or hate the idea of chopping a good set up..

bought this hex set from halfords about a year for so ago, under £20, used it for loads of parts on the suzuki and cbf.image.thumb.jpg.e7c72cac0ba7ca5bec647768bcab3a3f.jpg

I’ve got the Draper version of this & have found it invaluable 

• Like 1

Cheers all, I got them fitted, just about where I like them. I just had to tighten one side more, move them to be able to reach the other side

and tighten that up completely. And leave as is. It's comfortable.

Taking what you've all said on board, i'll just need some spanners now as well I guess. 🤣 

I got one of the advanced kits (Halford Advanced 100PC Socket Set) from Halfords with

the hex/sockets/etc. It is fine for most, just nothing tiny enough for that gap with the risers.

And no spanners in the set. It was on offer at the time, about 40% off so was a no brainer I jumped for it.

On 13/05/2024 at 10:37, Gerontious said:

I’ve fitted risers to almost every bike I’ve owned and I have NEVER had any that didn’t come with a full complement of hex bolts. Some use the originals - depending on the design. Some with longer bolts.- that’s more usual. Always Hex.

? It did have hex with the risers, exactly the same as the ones already on the bike essentially. 
Just can't reach into them when the riser is actually above the... original part it is rising. 

Anyhow, sorted now. Spanner buying time. 
After new chain, sprockets at the garage, and helmet. 

• Like 3