1/2" impact wrench

Want to buy a quality impact wrench, looked at so many that seemed good but then read reviews and seems not fit for purpose,  seems like dewalt DCF922 18v XR brushless detent pin anvil 406nm fastening 610nm breakaway 4 modes including x2 charges 5.0 ah ,case and charger,  medium priced and have excellent reviews, could I have your views please or your alternatives, looked at so many rather blown my mind, appreciate your time

DeWalt or Milwaukee, I've used both and own one, the one you've listed is mid torque,obvs price comes into it, your buying into a tool system cause once you've got batteries it's cheaper to buy bare tools.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Milwaukee every time …   The “ Snap-On “ of tools …. 😀

Edited by Trooper74

Posted (edited)

I have an equal mixture of Milwaukee and Dewalt. 

I much prefer the Dewalt stuff, but, I have used the Milwaukee warranty service and it's excellent, my driver was collected, repaired, and delivered back in 5 days. 

Funnily enough, I have a 1/2" 20v impact driver from Lidl. It was £59 and has been abused for a few years without issue. I even use it to undo and do-up my tractor, trailer and truck wheels. It's my favourite big driver. 

Edited by Simon Davey
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys, did look at the Milwaukee fuel, will have to get complete kit as had makita battery/charger and bare tools, but now getting older and batteries not what they were, but could you tell me if torque nm are high enough on dewalt kit I mentioned,  want it for old bike and old car and few garden machinery bits, are do I really need to go higher? Appreciate your time

15 minutes ago, Simon Davey said:

I have an equal mixture of Milwaukee and Dewalt. 

I much prefer the Dewalt stuff, but, I have used the Milwaukee warranty service and it's excellent, my driver was collected, repaired, and delivered back in 5 days. 

Funnily enough, I have a 1/2" 20v impact driver from Lidl. It was £59 and has been abused for a few years without issue. I even use it to undo and do-up my tractor, trailer and truck wheels. It's my favourite big driver. 

I used to have big battery drivers but now anything bigger than the Milwaukee M12 compact and it just feels wrong 😂 I do use bigger ones for 6 inch screws and above as it don't like them.

I've only had one failure under warranty everything else just dies from use, mine are constantly in use.

Any of the big brands are going to be ok although I'm not a fan of Ryobi they struggle, I have a couple as at the time availablity was only option, I plan on replacing them and retiring them to DIY use at home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Angela Collen said:

Thanks guys, did look at the Milwaukee fuel, will have to get complete kit as had makita battery/charger and bare tools, but now getting older and batteries not what they were, but could you tell me if torque nm are high enough on dewalt kit I mentioned,  want it for old bike and old car and few garden machinery bits, are do I really need to go higher? Appreciate your time

I can't help thinking that a 1/2" driver is far too heavy and cumbersome for those types of job, and it's quiet likely to do more damage than help at all.

Maybe consider a 1/4" driver, they run at about 180Nm of torque.

I wouldn't personally use a driver for mechanics, I find it's better to "feel" what you're doing, especially with anything seized, or delicate.

Big stuff, like wheel nuts, yes, and  1/4" driver for putting in or removing wood screws.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are multiple options, some of the newer Milwaukee stuff allows you to set power via an app or have a 4 stage power setting so you can select power to match what your doing.

A 3/8 drive is great for small quick removal and replacement, 1/2 high torque is still defeated by stubborn things, I've never snapped anything with one yet, I prefer to have power and not need it than need it and not have it.

I grabbed mine to go and change wheel on daughter's car, still had to return to get breaker bar and scaffold pole.....

Pick a brand and start with what is the most useful, you can add to it later, bare tools especially impact wrenches have come down in price lots over the last 5yrs..

I've been considering the 1inch drive one of late 😂 

• Like 1

@Bender sound advice, as I'm going to get new battery/charger kit, I will keep adding to it, as you say good to have variety, 1/2 " was just for heavy duty jobs, will get smaller pieces when got money and have need, some good packages on offer, just got to decide which of major brands has best deal and overall quality/afterservice, got plenty to consider, probably between dewalt and milwaulkee, both I can source locally and return locally if problems, really appreciate everyone's input

• Like 3

DeWalt and Milwaukee have pretty much identical warranty as they compete directly.

Milwaukee has a bigger range but that's unlikely to be an issue as your only going to be using a small selection.

Only DeWalt items that don't compare well to Milwaukee that I use are the angle grinder and framing nailer, the nailer is a prehistoric beast and the grinder neither seems to have the power or the longevity again not something that will be an issue.

You might as well just pick the colour you prefer, red or yellow 😂 

• Haha 1

@Bender thanks for the link, that was exactly the one I had been looking at, thanks for info on other products, I will want an angle grinder for pathing, so seems you've helped me make the choice, what a relief!! @Yorky didn't know that, good to be informed, thanks for your time, much appreciated 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Angela Collen said:

@Bender thanks for the link, that was exactly the one I had been looking at, thanks for info on other products, I will want an angle grinder for pathing, so seems you've helped me make the choice, what a relief!! @Yorky didn't know that, good to be informed, thanks for your time, much appreciated 

Some bargains to be had you just need to keep looking 😁 

On 01/06/2024 at 21:50, Angela Collen said:

Want to buy a quality impact wrench, looked at so many that seemed good but then read reviews and seems not fit for purpose,  seems like dewalt DCF922 18v XR brushless detent pin anvil 406nm fastening 610nm breakaway 4 modes including x2 charges 5.0 ah ,case and charger,  medium priced and have excellent reviews, could I have your views please or your alternatives, looked at so many rather blown my mind, appreciate your time

For what sort of work ? I doubt anything on a Bike needs more than 50ftlb/65nm, & most will be a lot less. 406nm is 300ftlb which is a LOT of torque, for most bike work I use a little Makita drill/driver with 6mm hex drive.

As someone else said I also prefer to do stubborn stuff by hand, if it needs more force than I can give it with a 1/2" breaker bar maybe there's a reason (left thread?)

A mate has got a Milwaukee 1/2" driver, nice bit kit IF you need it.

Thanks for all your imput, yes I have smaller torque wrench for when that's required, also have tractor we use to cut mother in laws land, so do have bigger jobs too needing higher torque,  I have some of these tools but need to replace, hence why I asked what makes you all rated

11 hours ago, Angela Collen said:

Thanks for all your imput, yes I have smaller torque wrench for when that's required, also have tractor we use to cut mother in laws land, so do have bigger jobs too needing higher torque,  I have some of these tools but need to replace, hence why I asked what makes you all rated

Tractor 🤔 1inch drive Milwaukee and a 3/8 reducer for the bike 😂 

@Bender thanks for your experience,  seems like I need to get a variety of sizes for the different jobs I need to accomplish,  better start saving for those lovely Milwaulkee products, appreciate your patience, got there in the end!!

29 minutes ago, Angela Collen said:

@Bender thanks for your experience,  seems like I need to get a variety of sizes for the different jobs I need to accomplish,  better start saving for those lovely Milwaulkee products, appreciate your patience, got there in the end!!

Look for a set of anything on offer with 2 batteries, twin packs of impact driver and drill is often good starting point, the 18v impact screwdrivers can be used with sockets for smaller stuff you can sell the drill 😁 

Gets you 2 batteries a small impact and a charger.

https://www.toolstation.com/milwaukee-m18-bpp2c-502c-heavy-duty-twinpack/p47877?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&mkwid=_dm&pcrid=null&pkw=null&pmt=null&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9vqyBhCKARIsAIIcLMHykZ-Eb9c9AOVCGP6UxkrA0i6yHqoJgSrsYVSSsEBtaKrPjIHxJjsaAkQZEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have the 1/2" Milwaukee high torque for the car but wouldn't dream of using it on the bike

Of course then had to buy all new impact sockets to match :-)