Track Day Discussion

chris128

My main bug is I've this in-built feeling the bike is going to walk out from under me which then severely limits any form of lean, giving less turn, meaning I roll of throttle mid corner and run wide on all roundabout exits.

They do do some training days thats more aimed at road riding.

But riding a bike is like sex with the local s**g, you've got to trust the rubber :oops:

Pick a day mid summer, book a day in novice and have a ride round.

You will take something away from it.

Liam as cocker says Croft is our closest, although ive heard something about Teeside aerodrome or something silimilarly named which is meant to be a track set out on the runway? Could have that wrong.

I think Croft is probably a great starter track, wide layout and you can see through all the corners so theyre easy to judge. Not many corners either so after first outing youve already got a good idea of where the track goes and whats coming up. Instructers were on hand to follow you round for a few laps and give you feedback afterwards or you follow them and they show you the lines you should aim for. With the weather i never got a chance to do this but will be when im back on the 12th.

Cockercas, would you recommend someone at my level using tyre warmers? I think me and 1 of my mates were the only bikes in the garage without them lol, infact i just kept my bike in pit lane as was getting in the way of others.

Depends on the tyre.

If your using road compound tyres then i wouldnt bother. Just take a couple of laps to build heat into them.

Road compound isnt designed to sit in warmers for 40min, you will overheat them and reduce the life of the tyre.

If your looking to use a track foucsed tyre then warmers are a must imo.

One of the best things you could buy.

Mine failed at 105db but id taken it stone cold. Warmed it up and he signed it off with a shake of the head lol.

I hope my TOCE get's through ok with baffles...

It's 106db without so need to shave off 4db for snett. :shock:

Mine failed at 105db but id taken it stone cold. Warmed it up and he signed it off with a shake of the head lol.

I hope my TOCE get's through ok with baffles...

It's 106db without so need to shave off 4db for snett. :shock:

A baffle will shave 4db off :thumb:

If your tested with a baffle in dont take it out though or its home time :crybaby:

RE: tyre warmers, I don't think they are really necessary to have a good day. I've only just bought a set and have done well enough without them. Plus, if you do get some then you have to bugger about getting power which means either the world's longest extension lead or a genny which would have to be pretty hefty to run for 2 sets of warmers.

Metzeler m7rr. They felt awesome tbh, just felt a bit out of place wih everyone else in the garage using them. Felt i was missing a trick lol.

I was told with sound testing to roll it on slowly up to the required rpm, then when hes looking at his equipment roll it back a bit lol. 5.5k i think they told me, i left it around 5. Seen plenty people changing exhausts so they must have been relatively strict.

Personaly i wouldnt ride without getting tyres into warmers and even go as far as tyre blankets if theres a chilly wind.

As for a genny i run 2 sets of mine, but i use the low wattage warmers.

You're in to the fast group now though aren't you? The expectation to go like the clappers straight out of the paddock is quite high I imagine. :-)

It's perfectly possible to keep up in inters for the first lap or so then start pushing on and get some overtakes in on Supercorsa SC1/2 without warmers.

You don't have to have them although I'm looking forward to using mine!

I am :booty:

But look at it this way.

A session is 20min, if you lap cadwell in 2min then two laps is 4min gone, thats nearly a quater of a session wasted.

£105 a day so £15 a session. So you spend 20% of a session warming tyres at a cost of £3.

Thats £21/more then a session wasted in a day not to mention all the heat cycles the tyre gos through without warmers.

They soon pay for themselves.

I suppose once you get up to fast inters / fast group then the warming laps are just boring. Understandable statement and logical.

Its not so much that when you have pace.

Everytime the tyre gos from cold to hot to cold is 1 heat cycle.

Heat cycles degrade the tyre, just leaving them in sun is one heat cycle.

As you get quicker you notice the grip getting less and less even though theres plenty of rubber left.

No warmers mean 7 heat cycles aday

How much do the photos usually cost??

If you buy all the photos on the day on a cd its £30 or £25 if two buy at the same time.

Online about a week laters is about £8

• 2 weeks later...

2nd day at croft today, weather was lovely. Went down with 2 mates and pretty much picked up where i left off last time.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff215/tuktuk_photo/Mobile%20Uploads/20160512_130102_zpslskfb31d.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff215/tuktuk_photo/Mobile%20Uploads/20160512_183402_zpswswvzytl.jpg

Was a fair few spills, I dont think i will be using the blade on track again after seeing the damage on some of the bikes. I couldnt afford the repairs lol.

I cant make my mind up what sort of tear that is but it looks like you have a geometry issue.

doesn't look right does it..

patchy tear like that suggests suspension is not setup right. rebound/compression need looking at i reckon.