Filtering

wannars125

Ben"]This might sound like a stupid question and no doubt I am going to get flamed for daring to ask it...

Can you only filter when there is more than one lane of traffic going in your direction?

Lets say you were on a main road that is a single carridgeway at peak time' date=' your side of the road always has people lined up for a long time, but the other side of the road with cars coming towards you, traffic is flowing basically like normal. Is this a situation you would filter?

Can you filter down the left hand side of the cars if there is enough space between the cars and the curb?

Please note I have never done the above, I am still a filter virgin, I am one of the idiots who sits in the traffic with the cars.[/quote']

I dont think it's illegal to do so as long as it's safe and there's enough room to do it without mounting the curb. Personally I probably wouldn't risk it, depending on how fast the traffic is moving :)

Traffic lights at the bottom of moorgate... here is one place i tend to find myself stuck in traffic. It can move fast sometimes but when its pissing it down and cold and dark, would you filter there?

Ben"]

Traffic lights at the bottom of moorgate... here is one place i tend to find myself stuck in traffic. It can move fast sometimes but when its pissing it down and cold and dark, would you filter there?

If the traffic was gridlocked, then Probably :D

I was going to say that if the traffic is moving and you pass on the left between cars and curb then it could be classed as undertaking but then remembered the recent discussion regarding undertaking and the fact there is no such thing as undertaking but it could be classed as dangerous driving or something.

You should be able to pass on the right of any queue or slow moving traffic. It's also less dangerous than passing on the left as cars tend to look to their right and might not expect a bike to be squeezing past.

There's is usually more than enough room to pass on the right down the white lines or slightly on the oncoming traffics lane. In fact I often continue filtering even when cars are coming towards me and am yet to find any driver who will not move to give me space. If however it's very narrow I'll nip in and out as there's a break in the oncoming traffic. I will also dip the clutch and rev the engine loudly when approaching a car going in my direction who is very close to the middle and the majority will move over. I find revving the engine is perceived as a lot less rude than if you beeped your horn.

• 4 weeks later...

As above but always look out for roads on the right where cars might be looking to turn into to get out of the queue. In London, some people will drive on the wrong side of the road if they're turning into a road on the right if there is a break in the traffic.

As per usual, it's ok to do but make sure you're not getting in anyones way (oncoming traffic) and proceed at a speed you feel comfortable at and if it doesn't feel safe, it most likely isn't!

• 3 weeks later...

Personly ben, I always filter around moorgate, and in the mornings (about 8:30) I also filter down to whiston crossroads then take a left up towards the hospital/thomas rotherham. It's always one looooong traffic jam from there up to my college, i've got a friend who lives in aston (other side of ully country park) and he reguraly has the traffic tailing back up past his house, thats a good 3 miles further back than the crossroads. Traffic around here is horrendous now... so as long as your on the bike, everything is enjoyable. (I prefer filtering to being on a open stretch of road (unless that road is full of twisties :up: )) :angel12:

Filtering is awesome around here, and the lanes are actually a pretty decent width compared to most places around the country, so it makes it even more fun :) I get the bike out ever other evening just to practise filtering the bikes as dual carriageways near me are always chockle blocked after about 5pm. :wink: - Roads arnt half heaving recently though, more traffic than ive ever seen. :?

• 2 weeks later...

What's been missed out here is: Keep using your mirrors too! I've lost count of the times I've been stuck behind a timid rider waiting for the gap the size of a tank open up to one similar to the Grand Canyon. :D

In all seriousness, I always check mine because there'll always be someone more deranged than I am making their way somewhere - and in a line of three or four bikes weaving down a car-park motorway I'd rather not be the front one either.

Quite often, if filtering, I'll stick my hazards on and pop the main beam on full blast too.

What's been missed out here is: Keep using your mirrors too!

In total agreement - should use them all the time anyway :roll:

I've lost count of the times I've been stuck behind a timid rider waiting for the gap the size of a tank open up to one similar to the Grand Canyon. :D

'Timid' riders??!!? Careful and safe would be more apt

In all seriousness, I always check mine because there'll always be someone more deranged than I am making their way somewhere - and in a line of three or four bikes weaving down a car-park motorway I'd rather not be the front one either.

Quite often, if filtering, I'll stick my hazards on and pop the main beam on full blast too.

High beam will dazzle car drivers, seeing the light is one thing, but on full beam, other than pissing them off they won't necessarily be able to judge distance and may even swerve across you thinking you are an emergency vehicle some distance away. As for using hazards - await the fixed penalty for misuse. They are to warn of danger/hazards - not to give you the right to push through.

Filtering is purely an overtaking maneouvre. Do you use hazards/high beam in a car when overtaking?

What's been missed out here is: Keep using your mirrors too!

In total agreement - should use them all the time anyway :roll:

Obviously - but people don't.

'Timid' riders??!!? Careful and safe would be more apt

I reckon I am qualified to judge the difference, thanks. :wink:

And it's nice to meet you too. :roll: Depending upon the conditions I have made the decision to increase my visibility when filtering at times. I'm here, safe and well and without a single penalty point in almost 30 years of riding.

When overtaking, use of the horn and long headlight flash is ALWAYS an option open but it is merely to inform other drivers of your presence, not give you a right of way as per the highway code. I use a headlight flash regularly. Maybe about 1-2secs in length, It's the way i was taught and i'm an emergency vehicle driver

I also know it is an offence to use hazards while moving, we were stopped once while towing, so just cos you havent been caught/ seen doesnt mean it isnt so.

Hoody is only advising/warning you of what may occour :mrgreen:

Cheers Techno :bang:

When overtaking, use of the horn and long headlight flash is ALWAYS an option open but it is merely to inform other drivers of your presence, not give you a right of way as per the highway code. I use a headlight flash regularly. Maybe about 1-2secs in length, It's the way i was taught and i'm an emergency vehicle driver

Yupp!

• 4 months later...

shift down a gear, make the engine louder to give yourself a bigger presence, most people will let you through when they hear you. It beats waiting behind them for a while hoping they will glance in your mirror and see you.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for putting up this thread, I've just started having a go at filtering as I've only been on my bike for a month now. It seemed bloody daunting especially on my little 125, however my confidence has increased lots. I'm not trying anything too daring or risking doing something stupid. Slow and steady at the moment!

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Was going to copy the link to put into the thread on the bike chat section. Just remember to take it easy and start at your own pace. You'll gather confidence the more you do it but try not to become cocky! If you want to learn quick, I recommend riding around London during rush hour! That's the way I done it!

If you want to learn quick, I recommend riding around London during rush hour! That's the way I done it!

That's a good way to sharpen your mirror and life-saver skills. :shock: London bikers take no prisoners when they're filtering! And the scooters are no better...

If you want to learn quick, I recommend riding around London during rush hour! That's the way I done it!

That's a good way to sharpen your mirror and life-saver skills. :shock: London bikers take no prisoners when they're filtering! And the scooters are no better...

I'll be doing it again tomorrow, MK to Westminster....

I hate the f**cking posh tw*ts around London who have bought their Vespa's to get to work. They've hardly had any training and most ride on just a CBT cutting up anyone who happens to be using the road, car, motorbike or cyclist.

Still haven't been able to keep up with some of the couriers but then I think they're just quite possibly insane!

• 2 weeks later...

Have to agree with lots of the guys on here when they say to drop down a gear or rev the engine slightly when moving though the middle of traffic.

Just pull the clutch and rev the engine a couple of times quickly and the traffic will magicly part :wink:

I also know it is an offence to use hazards while moving, we were stopped once while towing, so just cos you havent been caught/ seen doesnt mean it isnt so.

Hoody is only advising/warning you of what may occour :mrgreen:

You can use hazard warning lights when towing on a 70mph speed limit road.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... /DG_070302

That's not what it says :roll:

You MUST NOT use hazard warning lights while driving or being towed unless you are on a motorway or unrestricted dual carriageway and you need to warn drivers behind you of a hazard or obstruction ahead. Only use them for long enough to ensure that your warning has been observed.

On a Motorway/Dual carriageway if the traffic ahead stops you apply brakes to illuminate brake lights and turn on hazzards to let them know you are stopping. As soon as the vehicle behind acknowledges by activating hazzards, turn yours off. 8-)

Apologies, I assumed it was under the same principle of slow moving vehicles such as tractors using flashing amber lights as a warning.

I think hazrds when towing are a good idea.