woman burned, but government is getting the blame?

bex

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-yo ... e-17560534

I have been watching the news a lil and reading articles and peoples comments on this and I can not believe people are blaming the gov'mnt for her stupidity. she was near a heat source, in the house, whilst pouring petrol about. what the hell did she think would happen, petrol is a fuel, it burns, having it near the cooker was never going to end well and tbh i think she has got away lightly as it could have killed her and anyone else in the house. but to blame the gov'mnt is reduculus, she is a grown woman who deems herself responsible enough to bring up children but not responsible enough to handle petrol. I am sure the gov'mnt did not tell her anything about the dangers of petrol but how can you go 46 yrs through life without knowing its dangerous and flammable.

and then when i say things like this i am the bad guy, i am sorry for her having this accident but FML common sense and self preservation obviously missed her that day.

Am i the only person to think like this? does this make me a bad person?

People are getting more and more stupid because they no longer have to take responsibility for their own stupidity they just blame someone else.

Idiot decides to play with petrol near a naked flame, its the governments fault for making her panic buy petrol.

STUPID f**king COW!!!!

You are not a bad person Bex. I too think exactly like you.

Makes me laugh when people are on their mobiles while filling up. Well it doesn't make me laugh, it makes me angry that I might get taken out with them and I always let them know exactly how I feel. :evil:

I feel the same too. Feel sorry that she's hurt, but some people are morons.

Also Deso - mobile phones in petrol station is a myth - it was busted on Brainiac. I recall they filled a caravan with containers of petrol then put some phones in there and rang them. Nothing happened.

In fact - found the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4p8Z1o9dzs

We have a whole generation of people who seem to be devoid of common sense among other things. Sadly in today's culture we can blame someone else for practically everything we do. As soon as I read that I thought exactly the same :roll:

Also Deso - mobile phones in petrol station is a myth - it was busted on Brainiac. I recall they filled a caravan with containers of petrol then put some phones in there and rang them. Nothing happened.

Because braniac did it it must be true...

Funnily enough when I was a floorlaying apprentice before the recession hit and people decided it wasnt going to kill them to have a dirty carpet, I did a job laying the sheet vinyl flooring in a newly built petrol station/spar. Before we were allowed on site however we had to attend a course on the safety of working on and around a forecourt. This subject of mobile phones was covered in some detail, and the issue is what they referred to as a 'microspark' between the contacts of a mobile phone and it's battery. It happens, that's proven. In fact it has probably happened to each one of us at some point in our mobile phone carrying lives.

Yeah, chances of that 'spark' happening when your around petrol vapours in a thick enough concentration for ignition to occur is probably billions to one. It may only be certain phones in which this phenomenon occurs, to argue it's an outright myth? In theory it's possible and that's why they are banned on forecourts..

They have probably put all these factors together, and the easiest way of removing that element of risk, no matter how small, is to tell you not to use your phone.

Anyway, back on topic.

I have had field bikes from a young age. I was fortunate enough for my grandad to live in a farmhouse with a few acres of free land that I used to ride on. I was just turned 5 when I was bought a Yamaha PW50, and when I was 10 I had a Honda XR75. As a result I have been brought up around petrol being stored in jerry cans and those green plastic containers. I have always been told from a young age the dangers of petrol, and to always hit the killswitch before fueling an such. I don't think I would ever, even at a young age (I was probably 8 or 9 before I was trusted to put petrol in myself) have thought that transferring petrol near a cooker that was on a good idea. That sentence is ridiculous to me. I'm afraid I put the blame entirely on her. I do feel sorry for her and her family about the situation she's in now. That doesn't make what she did in the first place any less idiotic.

There's an urban legend (only referred to because I have no proof of it being true) that goes round most kitchens I have worked in of a chef who died whilest cleaning the extraction systems + canopy because he slipped and fell into a fryer, he recoiled in agony and in the panic three fryers went over and flooded him with 200'c oil. As to whether it's true or not I dunno, in theory it's possible, but you always clean the canopies first thing in the morning before any equipment is switched on so in reality I find it highly unlikely

i am so glad that i am not the only one who thinks its stupid to blame someone else, you dont have to be a petrol head to know that petrol is flamable and should never be near a heat source, i am actually impressed that she was using a glass jar not plastic that would have melted.

This subject of mobile phones was covered in some detail, and the issue is what they referred to as a 'microspark' between the contacts of a mobile phone and it's battery. It happens, that's proven.

I don't doubt there is a microspark, but there could also be a microspark when I turn the headlights on after filling up but they don't go around telling you to wait untill you get halfway down the road before turning your lights on just in case you blow up half the town.. 8-)

Now, back to the stupid woman who blew herself up..

This subject of mobile phones was covered in some detail, and the issue is what they referred to as a 'microspark' between the contacts of a mobile phone and it's battery. It happens, that's proven.

I don't doubt there is a microspark, but there could also be a microspark when I turn the headlights on after filling up but they don't go around telling you to wait untill you get halfway down the road before turning your lights on just in case you blow up half the town.. 8-)

I have been thinking this for years. Surely there could be a spark when turning the ignition on, closing the door with the metal part of your seatbelt caught in it could cause a spark etc etc

She is a candidate for a Darwin award. Just like the person who allegedly filled a wheely bin with petrol during the last strike :shock:

Exactly what I was thinking!

FBU general secretary Matt Wrack said: "The public do not understand the extreme dangers posed by petrol handling or storage and they must be advised as a matter of urgency.
and that is darwinism in action!...

I have been thinking this for years. Surely there could be a spark when turning the ignition on, closing the door with the metal part of your seatbelt caught in it could cause a spark etc etc

This is it. I get shocks all the time getting in and out of the car. There's bound to be sparks in electrical systems in cars too.

There's never been a case of a phone causing a fire at a petrol station, so I just find it dubious. Regardless, it's a non-issue lol!

Back to the woman - she's a tard. You do NOT decant petrol next to a fire. You don't do it in the house fullstop.

All I'm saying is to work in a petrol station I had to undertake this course. I know health and safety takes the piss at the best of times, but if they were going to just make up unsubstantiated crap they may aswell have warned us about the dangers of cannabilism in the workplace. The irony was, it was a new build and the forecourt had no petrol stored there whilst we were working.

Some petrochemical sites will not allow petrol cars onsite due to the spark plugs - all cars must be diesel to reduce the risk of a spark/explosion...

So should petrol cars also be banned from petrol stations? :-P

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk

Some petrochemical sites will not allow petrol cars onsite due to the spark plugs -

...do they also not have any lights in the building? And I bet the site is a no-smoking area but it will be ok to smoke when you get to the other side of the entrance gate 8-)

And what about the microwave in the staff tea room??

I`ve heard it make your yorkshire puds rise better, but to mix it in the kitchen :roll: is just asking for trouble. :wink:

And no Bex you`re not the only one. I too was astounded by the womans stupidity.

I think Mythbusters did something on phones as well, didn't they? And you know they want things to blow up. :) But rules is rules so if you're told not to use your phone, don't use your phone.

As for the silly cow, she deserved everything she got in my eyes. That's just stupid, not thinking... and to think they're blaming the government and possibly even suing them? Do me a favour, I blame the government for lots of things in this fiasco but that's not one of them.

Funnily enough when I was a floorlaying apprentice before the recession hit and people decided it wasnt going to kill them to have a dirty carpet, I did a job laying the sheet vinyl flooring in a newly built petrol station/spar. Before we were allowed on site however we had to attend a course on the safety of working on and around a forecourt. This subject of mobile phones was covered in some detail, and the issue is what they referred to as a 'microspark' between the contacts of a mobile phone and it's battery. It happens, that's proven. In fact it has probably happened to each one of us at some point in our mobile phone carrying lives.

Yeah, chances of that 'spark' happening when your around petrol vapours in a thick enough concentration for ignition to occur is probably billions to one. It may only be certain phones in which this phenomenon occurs, to argue it's an outright myth? In theory it's possible and that's why they are banned on forecourts..

They have probably put all these factors together, and the easiest way of removing that element of risk, no matter how small, is to tell you not to use your phone.

Sorry but that is all baloney - If it were true, then cars would not be allowed into the forecourt area as there are 'micro sparks' throughout the electical wiring of the car - Not least from the alternator!!!!

However, in a closed environment (like the inside of a recently emptied petrol tanker - or even a kitchen), the petrol vapour can easily be ignited by a small spark.

:cheers:

Hello all,

I used to know a guy that worked in South African mining. He said there attitude to health and safety was a sign on the wall that read "The stupid will suffer".

Never has that statement felt more appropriate.

Darwin award for that woman.

On the subject of the mobile phone thing, it's ridiculous, I've seen highly tuned Impreza's etc fill up on a forecourt, start up and have a huge flame shoot out the zorst, and yet they weren't BBQ'd!

I have metal toe sliders, if I walk over a patch of petrol or around the pumps, and accidently scrape one on the floor, will I be killed in an inferno?