Long distance comfort

mattycoops43

Hiya.

Quick question before I get some post rally beauty sleep!

I loved the weekend, but found anything over an hour in the saddle was causing me a lot of hip pain and bum numbness. Now, I don't think its necessarily a bike problem. My recent diabetes diagnosis, and weightloss (3 stone) has left me getting a numb bumb if I sit on the sofa for a couple of hours without moving. I love the Fazer and think it's meant to be a comfortable bike!

So, given that I think it's my bod that is sensitive, not that the fazer is an uncomfortable bike, this is the issue.

Pegs are not too high, but are quite forward, making for an upright position, but this means hips are at quite an acute angle. I almost feel I would be more comfortable with my feet further back like a supersports so my thighs are straighter.

The scoop in the seat means my weight is almost all on the very back of my arse, right under my coxics? and there is no weight being spread onto my thighs at all. I tried everything onthe 3hrs riding home, but nothing works. Sitting on the pillion seat, feet on crash bungs, tried sliding forwards to push against the tank and take weight off rear a bit, but that cramps knees too much.

Any suggestions?

Was thinking about gel seats? reshaped seat? moving pegs?

I want to go to Keswick weekend, but its farther north again and to be honest, I wouldn't attempt it the way I am now, it wouldnt be safe!

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Did you try Ped boi style with your feet on the back pegs?

Found it helped me on long trips, and gave a bit more a stretch to the lower back and thighs when standing up to relax and stuff.

I know my dad always used to do it on his old bike, and got laughed at quite a bit, until he beat all the rossi rep boi's through the corners on his C reg 400, still in that position and not wearing and leather at all lol. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Rennie, does the 1000 have a flatter seat? I just wonder cos I tried moving back, but end up perching on the lip between seats, I can't quite get right back on the pillion seat properly and still reach the bars!

Moving the pegs and maybe playing around with the bar height may help matty. Gotta say that I got a sore @rse on the way back.....but I think it was a combination of lack of riding fitness & tail-pack forcing me too far forward on the seat. I find the bike kecks make a difference too. Some of my waterproof ones are worse on a longer journey than others.

Let's face it, a bike is not the most comfy thing to sit on,, tweaking seat & pegs helps,, but there's now't wrong with a break every hour or so to give the joints & muscles a rest,,

a quick 5 minutes to get the blood flowing does wonders,,,

Wonder if you can get DVT from to long on a bike,, :? :? :?: :?: :?: just a thought

Rennie, does the 1000 have a flatter seat? I just wonder cos I tried moving back, but end up perching on the lip between seats, I can't quite get right back on the pillion seat properly and still reach the bars!

no it's got a really deep sculpted seat but I can move further back into it with no pillion.

Have seen them now Rennie, looking at fazer seats on ebay. I just went to try and put my feet onthe rear pegs.

er..........

no.

That is NOT happening, they are so high and back that it would be easier to put my legs OVER my shoulders to get on them!

I had a good experiment with the bike on the side stand. No matter what I do, the shape of the seat is not supporting me at all under the front half of.. er.. me! Even if I slide forward, it all goes narrow so I am hanging there on a very narrow bit of seat. Maybe I need to build the front up a bit?

Thanks. I got back on it to commute this week and to be honest it felt like an old glove! I wonder how much I just need to get used to riding more? The rally was the first time I have EVER gone more than 50miles on a bike, not sure why, but now my cherry has been well and truly popped will be doing many more miles!

Found a company that will cut out your seat and a a gel cushion built in then recover it with the original covering for £60, (and that price included a foam build up at the front too)

Going to be fitting a double bubble screen, gps mount in time for keswick in an effort to reduce general stress/noise.

I think a lot of it is just a case of getting used to it.

Something will always start to ache or niggle

eventually :lol:

When we went to Spain (500 miles a day for 3 days running! same on the way back)

I had aches and pains in places I didn't know existed! :lol:

I'd do it again tomorrow though! :lol: