What you doing this weekend?

rennie

Going North again. Both my brothers and nieces will be there as well so by nice. Trying to minimise motorway but if its bad traffic it's 6 hours vs 10 hours. Also there's that big urban sprawl in the middle I have to get around.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Not what I'm doing, but what I did. 

Took me about 6 hours in total, but I fit a new tail tidy, front brake discs as they were warped, rebuilt all calipers with fresh seals, pins and pads. And also added some stainless steel lines.

The tail tidy was a fiddly job with rewiring the connectors for the reg plate lamp, and the indicators. I'm not overly happy with the wiring, but it's easily accessible so I'll be back in there soon to sort it out. I also bought replacement indicators as the mount on one of my originals was glued together, but they were rubbish quality with bulbs that were too small (messed up the flash rate).

I took the original clear lens's and bulbs from the old indicators and made them work. Will get some good quality LED units down the line. The tail tidy also lacks the holder for the fuse box, so that is rattling around in the back now, I've cable tied it to secure it for now. 

After that I did the brakes and there was a botch artist in here before me. Silver grease of some sort, I'm guessing aluminium grease, used on everything including big snotty deposits of it inside the brake calipers themselves. Took ages to clean out.

Suzuki SV650 - Brakes Suzuki SV650 - Brakes

Not good... Literally applied to everything. Silver paste of some sort, I'm guessing for bolts. Not rubber/metal interacting parts. Red rubber grease in very small amounts should be used, a smear on the seals and pistons. There should be little to no residue when you refit the pistons. 
Suzuki SV650 - Brakes

A note for those doing brake discs. Tap a socket drive hex bit into the brake disc bolt, and then give it several big strikes with a hammer. It breaks the glue and corrosion. Then, either gently use a small breaker bar and steady fork to avoid rounding them, or use an impact gun with your weight behind it. Then clean the old locktite off with a wire wheel, and reapply before putting them back on the bike. 

Suzuki SV650 - Brakes

Fully rebuilt. New lines and discs.

Suzuki SV650 - Brakes

Edited by Fozzie
Spelling
  • Like 9

Did you replace the number plate with anything slightly smaller? If so, where and what size did you go for?

Not really the weekend as my life is upside down and back to front. It’s almost 3am and I’ve 4 more hours to plough through with a badly hallucinating paranoid schizophrenic. (What a way to make a living!!) he’s currently in bed and I’m spending the night in his room with him as he tries to rest. He’s only attacked me once tonight. I let my guard down for a second and “Boom” got away with just a bit of a graze on my leg. Ho (bloody) hum.

so my “weekend” starts tomorrow. Or today!! And I’ve got to sort bike insurance so I can legally ride (for the fist time in months) to get a new MOT on Wednesday. So looking forward to it as well as not being back here again until 10pm Saturday!!

Best quote is Bennett’s so, probably a lot of time spent on the phone trying to beat that and also get the “extras” I need. Been a while since I’ve done this particular runaround. The things we do.

The things we do.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Gerontious said:

Not really the weekend as my life is upside down and back to front. It’s almost 3am and I’ve 4 more hours to plough through with a badly hallucinating paranoid schizophrenic. (What a way to make a living!!) he’s currently in bed and I’m spending the night in his room with him as he tries to rest. He’s only attacked me once tonight. I let my guard down for a second and “Boom” got away with just a bit of a graze on my leg. Ho (bloody) hum.

so my “weekend” starts tomorrow. Or today!! And I’ve got to sort bike insurance so I can legally ride (for the fist time in months) to get a new MOT on Wednesday. So looking forward to it as well as not being back here again until 10pm Saturday!!

Best quote is Bennett’s so, probably a lot of time spent on the phone trying to beat that and also get the “extras” I need. Been a while since I’ve done this particular runaround. The things we do.

The things we do.

Good luck with getting back on the road, what a feeling that'll be! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Fish said:

Did you replace the number plate with anything slightly smaller? If so, where and what size did you go for?

The reg plate is already on the smaller side I think, so I've kept it for now. It probably will be replaced some point soon, as I had to drill new holes at the top. So there's two empty holes in the middle third, that make it look a bit tacky. My local place does them for £10, so I will ask them for the smallest legal plate I can get.

5 hours ago, Gerontious said:

The things we do.

Devitts were loads better than Bennetts, for me this year, and easy enough on the phone, as an option.

Posted (edited)

I’m now insured. How long has it been? 3 months, maybe. MOT tomorrow.

And went with Bennett’s.

funnily enough, when I lived in Brum in the early 9Os I insured with Bennett’s a few times and actually went to their office in Coventry. Little insurer… the office was upstairs above an Asian shop in a fairly ordinary terraced house near the cathedral - it stank of fag smoke. And only saw a receptionist, paid by the premium in cash. Something like £20

obviously it’s raining. But should dry later and I’ll get the cover off the bike and see if it starts!!

im so excited I might eat some chocolate!!

by the way. I was pleased they gave me the option of paying with PayPal. Handy as I can spread it over a few months 0%

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 3

Nothing but lying here in bed wishing I could ride. 

The part of the nail they removed was a real ugly bit of kit. Complete u-shape - and thick to boot - that’s been cutting into my toe for a fair few years. 

IMG_6616.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 4

1 minute ago, Mawsley said:

Nothing but lying here in bed wishing I could ride. 

The part of the nail they removed was a real ugly bit of kit. Complete u-shape - and thick to boot - that’s been cutting into my toe for a fair few years. 

IMG_6616.jpeg

I'm just going in the corner to wretch at the thought... 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Angela Collen said:

@Mawsley good you finally got it sorted, bet its really sore, so hope it heals well and quickly

Rum. 

It is a panacea. I’m having to stay in bed for 48 hrs - what else is there to do in bed but drink rum?

We're not doing much this weekend! Some of our children are coming with partners and offspring for Sunday lunch. 

We're off to red rooster 🐓 festival next Wednesday :cheers:

• Like 1

Ben Nevis

My girlfriend is an avid hiker... Not so much an avid navigator. I am a very reluctant hiker, but a very good navigator. 

I said I wouldn't go for weeks, then saw the forecast this week was cloudy, which will mean there's a good chance the summit is in fog. And now I'm going. 

Don't fancy the 6 hour drive each way much though. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

On 23/05/2024 at 19:12, RideWithStyles said:

bummer im sure 👍🏽 , at least your not missing the weather at the mo.

crafted beer&whiskey, play helldivers 2 & watch motorbike endurance 24hr racing, that would be me sorted.

Lad had Helldivers going the other day but not tried it yet myself - still finishing a season as Firenze’s manager in FM24. 

Think I’m going to replay Fallout 4 ready for the Fallout London mod.  

16 hours ago, Fozzie said:

Ben Nevis

My girlfriend is an avid hiker... Not so much an avid navigator. I am a very reluctant hiker, but a very good navigator. 

I said I wouldn't go for weeks, then saw the forecast this week was cloudy, which will mean there's a good chance the summit is in fog. And now I'm going. 

Don't fancy the 6 hour drive each way much though. 

Been up many times in just about every kind of weather going, sometimes you get all the weather in one day 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Working until Wednesday morning. But thankfully only 2 of those nights with our most problematic resident. I’m hoping he has been stabilised. Countdown to the Eifel is now well under way, today it clicked over to 99 days and so if there’s a light at the end of the tunnel then that’s it. Hard to believe it’s almost June!!

Edited by Gerontious
Lost a night shift. Finishing Wednesday!!
  • Like 2

I have the good fortune to be watching the British GT racing at Donington this weekend. 

I have to say, the area around Derby is absolutley stunning. I live in Essex, which is jam packed at all times, the difference is fantastic. The nearest I get to a nice ride is the area around Finchingfield where @Simon Davey has the pleasure of riding.

For all you people that live in the more picturesque areas of the country, don't take it for granted,  take a few minutes to stop and appreciate it. You are very fortunate.

Even your potholes are joined together with big areas of tarmac - our roads are just continuous spine jarring lumps of bedrock.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Shepherd said:

- our roads are just continuous spine jarring lumps of bedrock.

Interlaced with gravel and adorned with grit. 

I avoid Finchingfield, too many bikers 😂

Oh, and have a great time @Shepherd

Edited by Simon Davey