What you doing this weekend?

rennie

Wifey retired yesterday so we're flying out to New Zealand this weekend to visit our son.

He's working at an adventure place driving jet boats, doing quad bike tours and bungee jumps!

I fancy doing two out of the three but there's no chance I'm doing a bungee jump!

• Like 9

Got back home from travelling with work and caught some bug or something.  Currently laid up, trying to sweat it out of me but doubt I'll be venturing far this weekend.

• Sad 5

18 minutes ago, Fish said:

Got back home from travelling with work and caught some bug or something.  Currently laid up, trying to sweat it out of me but doubt I'll be venturing far this weekend.

Get well soon. 

• Like 2

Tomorrow noon we shift from where we are now into New York's Stapleton anchorage. Then at 00:30 on Sunday we shift into our berth for cargo ops, so a busy weekend but hopefully drama free.

• Like 8

We have family coming for lunch tomorrow including our 3 year old grandson! They're staying the night, first time he'll have stayed over. I've already pulled something in my lower back so it might be interesting :classic_biggrin:

• Like 4

Rode to the Piston Club with a few mates & watched them eat an £8 fry up + £3 for Coffee.

1st time I’ve been there, looks like a nice set up, here’s some pictures:-F6CDD0C7-77B4-4DEC-AFED-67F4667CBCA7.thumb.jpeg.f920ec288568683fcb52d169044e3658.jpegFDCBCCDD-5514-41D6-A859-A901D4D74D51.thumb.jpeg.13821545d23ca2adcafee6c814cce1a1.jpeg90F7DF18-2DC0-4B32-9799-BE95305A99A6.thumb.jpeg.f92592337049b255cbd952e6e71c476e.jpeg09586940-F71F-441E-AF06-1F610C654CB9.thumb.jpeg.58b5f16439f79c8d6c3744a478ff6bdd.jpegC5006A15-1B16-46B6-BFF0-24A7472FF984.thumb.jpeg.15f1a95add481e2860614e6de880bdee.jpeg3180431B-C9AF-4EA9-ABA8-3957F05FADDA.thumb.jpeg.14f09144628653f606235252568a935c.jpeg6E3F8441-6E39-46DF-9894-3E1CA23A4761.thumb.jpeg.9fa54371590065169c208402d3baf6e8.jpegC03EC92D-BB6D-45C2-A604-ED9767202B8F.thumb.jpeg.301c9436dc78e2f185bbdc835cf04e8f.jpeg

4C59A356-7A84-4FAE-9557-3C48FE7701A1.jpeg

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Quite like the Piston Club myself. Enjoyed looking at your pics of bikes too until the last one of some hideous French monstrosity. 

Quite like the French monstrosity myself, liked the young lady driving it even more 😍

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Mickly said:

Quite like the French monstrosity myself, liked the young lady driving it even more 😍

They were originally designed to be able to get across fields, that's why they are light and have skinny wheels. Which of course, is contrary to todays  "off road" vehicles.

5 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Quite like the Piston Club myself. Enjoyed looking at your pics of bikes too until the last one of some hideous French monstrosity. 

Ooh ! That's harsh !

In my humble opinion this is the vehicle that should have been developed for twenty first century use. People raved about linked hydrolastic suspension on BMC cars years ago. Which was pretty unreliable actually. 2CV suspension was an elegant purely mechanical system and caused no problems. And an air cooled flat twin engine ?  Jings, BMW are still using them albeit fuel injected and CAT 5 approved. 

Think about it. What is really more ecological ?  A 750kg 2CV capable of easily 100MPG with a lightly upgraded engine or a 1850kg Model 3 Tesla which nobody really knows how much it cost to run ?

It is however very much an acquired taste.  Like oysters or foie gras or kissing the postman on both cheeks when he's brought you good news.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2CV is like the french ordinary fiat 500 for its national is soooooo class, its one of a legendary cars in its own right that cant be justified so any mofo wants to bitch about it keep it to yourself. 🤬.

other than the early land rovers, rover sd1 (pretty muched flawed) and the lotus of any generation what the hell did early gb do right just to bring around discussion. 

something about the gtr just floats my boats and just turns me away about it in equal measure 😐....enigma job.

fry up might be ok but £3 coffee?? unless its got unicorn shit beans its its so over priced....

about the electric running costs is soooo bishoped its pretty much to the individuals living, manufacturing ways its so one sided....

11 hours ago, Simon Davey said:

They were originally designed to be able to get across fields

I was being driven by a French farmer in his 2cv. We were flying along, on our way back to the farmhouse, a rambling pile with very primitive plumbing, when he suddenly asked if I wanted to see his piglets. Im not a great conversationalidt, so I just said Yes, and the next thing we were off the road and bouncing across the field without the slightest change in speed. Very impressive suspension.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bonio said:

I was being driven by a French farmer in his 2cv. We were flying along, on our way back to the farmhouse, a rambling pile with very primitive plumbing, when he suddenly asked if I wanted to see his piglets. Im not a great conversationalidt, so I just said Yes, and the next thing we were off the road and bouncing across the field without the slightest change in speed. Very impressive suspension.

That's brilliant. 

I've never been in one, iconic car,quite romantic. 

I'm also quite gullible for an April Fool joke.... 

Edited by Simon Davey
  • Haha 1

It really happened. 1983. When we got to the piglets, he castrated the wee boars with a Wilkinson sword safety blade and they squealed their little hearts out, bless em. Back in the car, we flew across the field to the road and then home for lunch with a glass or two of '76 claret.

It was the kind of holiday you don't forget.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bonio said:

It really happened. 1983. When we got to the piglets, he castrated the wee boars with a Wilkinson sword safety blade and they squealed their little hearts out, bless em. Back in the car, we flew across the field to the road and then home for lunch with a glass or two of '76 claret.

It was the kind of holiday you don't forget.

That's just so cool, I thought it was a wind-up.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Still don't like the 2CV so there. However I did learn to drive in my dad's Citroën DS. Now that was a car worthy of the name.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion and as you're not in Scotland, feel free to express it.

The DS to me was the complete opposite of the 2CV in complexity.  

But it did have that wonderful Citroen elegance. So DS elegant complexity and 2CV elegant simplicity... how's that to sum them up ?

To appreciate a 2CV, you really have to grasp what it was designed to replace.  Like Issigonis' Mini was to replace the working man's moto and sidecar, the 2CV was genuinely to replace the donkey.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think we've kind of lost the thread here, have we not ?  

OK let's get back on track. This weekend I'm going to get an estimate for a haircut.

And if the weather is suitable I'm off for a 250km test run to check the performance and fuel consumption of my TDM 850 after the carbureteur overhaul.

• Like 3

Off to Leeds this weekend to see Johnny Marr at the O2. Going with my son, we share a love of music and go to a lot of gigs together. Last week we saw Judas Priest & Saxon at Wembley. We’re covering all the genres 😀

• Like 3

10 hours ago, rob m said:

Off to Leeds this weekend to see Johnny Marr at the O2. Going with my son, we share a love of music and go to a lot of gigs together. Last week we saw Judas Priest & Saxon at Wembley. We’re covering all the genres 😀

Judas Priest and Saxon, that is a blast from the past!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nick the wanderer said:

Judas Priest and Saxon, that is a blast from the past!

It was, they were both brilliant, considering their age. 

Rob Halford now looks like Uncle Albert from Only Fools and Horses but hit the high notes with ease, even during Painkiller! 😀

fIljdaN.jpg

mRpBN61.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1