DIY Carbon Fibre?

Tango

Thinking of skinning and fabricating some stuff for both bikes with carbon fibre......looks reasonably easy, but has anyone else done anything with this and can point out any things to watch out for?

A company called Easy Composites has some starter kits that may do what I'm looking to carry out on the bikes......which could be interesting.... 8-)

many years ago when i was in college a mate of mine was into carbon fibre for his surfboards, so i had a little play back then. it wasn't difficult to make fairly flat shaped components like surfboard fins, but intricate curved shapes were tricky to get right.

well worth a go :cheers:

I saw one of those "How it's Made" programmes where they made some carbon fibre stuff (bicycle frames I think) - looked pretty much like fibre glassing. They used inflatable bladders to make hollow/comex pieces as I remember.

I'd love to hear/see how your experiments go. :-)

Yeah, there's different types of carbon fibre sheet available.......but the stuff I'd be looking at is the Wet layup stuff, which is pretty much done the same way as fibreglassing... 8-) The pre-impregnated stuff looks good, but requires a vacuum pump and a curing oven.....which is a bit much for producing a couple of one-offs.... :wink:

The other alternative is a skinning kit......putting a carbon fibre skin over an existing part......my worry with that is losing the original part if I f*ck it up when applying the skin.....but I'll give that a bit more thought..... :wink:

I won't be doing any of this until the weather warms a bit, as I'll need to do it outside because of the fumes..... :wink:

I know someone who bought one of those kits, with probably the same intentions. I think the last converstion we had on the subject was along the lines of...

"F******* p***** of s***, fiddly as f** c*** of a job to get right. When you cut the mat, little bits of fibre go everywhere and make a f****** mess of everything. f*** it, it's going in the f****** bin. F****** waste of good money"

:) :)