Forum Etiquette vs Banter

Tango

I feel as fresh as a daisy listening to you lot :mrgreen:

You'd be a broken man if I hadn't given you such good advice years ago!

You're probably right there :lol:

If you're battling hosting problems it's very difficult.

By the way, if you haven't done it already get FH to replace Easy Apache 3 with Easy Apache 4.

That's got a PHP version changer in it from 5.4 to 7......and you can set it by domain.

So no more grief on PHP updates in the future because you can test the site first for any anomalies......then revert back if necessary.

But that will only work on FCGI or suPHP PHP handler......can't be done if you're on DSO.

By the way, if you haven't done it already get FH to replace Easy Apache 3 with Easy Apache 4.

That's got a PHP version changer in it from 5.4 to 7......and you can set it by domain.

So no more grief on PHP updates in the future because you can test the site first for any anomalies......then revert back if necessary.

But that will only work on FCGI or suPHP PHP handler......can't be done if you're on DSO.

Yeah knowing who to move to is a gamble when you don't know anyone out there! I think you pointed me in the right direction with FH

Yeah I have already switched to Easy Apache 4 I did it all by myself too with FH on stand by :lol:

I want to update PHP to 7 but its not supported by the software yet! using FCGI here

I think the next job will be to move over from MySQL to Maria database as its supposed to be faster but that's a job for later as some people have had issues converting

But that will only work on FCGI blah blah blah you're on DSO.

Yeah knowing who to move to is a gamble when you don't know anyone out there! I think you pointed me in the right direction with FH

Yeah I have already switched to Easy Apache 4 waffle waffle yamn boring with FH on stand by :lol:

I want to update PHP to 7 but its not supported by the software yet! using FCGI here

I think the next job will be to FIX THE DARN LIKE BUTTON

Fixed that for you!

Yeah I have already switched to Easy Apache 4 I did it all by myself too with FH on stand by :lol:

I think the next job will be to move over from MySQL to Maria database as its supposed to be faster but that's a job for later as some people have had issues converting

You sad geeky twat......treat yourself to a new anorak! :lol:

I've heard good things about MariaDB as well.......but what worries me is if MySQL go in one direction while MariaDB go in another, who are application developers going to follow? So I'm playing safe and staying with MySQL.

Nearly all my sites (around 300+) are on PHP 7 now......performance is phenomenal and using much less resources to do it.

I've heard good things about MariaDB as well.......but what worries me is if MySQL go in one direction while MariaDB go in another, who are application developers going to follow? So I'm playing safe and staying with MySQL.

Nearly all my sites (around 300+) are on PHP 7 now......performance is phenomenal and using much less resources to do it.

What can I say I like to know how things work :lol:

To be honest I think no matter what happens I think everything will work with MariaDB seen as though most of the MySQL staff work at Maria now :lol: I reckon MariaDB will be made to work with everything just that little bit better

Yeah I have heard good things about PHP 7 I don't think it will be long and I will be running it

What can I say I like to know how things work :lol:

To be honest I think no matter what happens I think everything will work with MariaDB seen as though most of the MySQL staff work at Maria now :lol: I reckon MariaDB will be made to work with everything just that little bit better

Yeah I have heard good things about PHP 7 I don't think it will be long and I will be running it

Thing is, like with my Joomla sites, it's the addons that can catch you out with PHP upgrades! Sometimes you never know for sure until you actually do it.

What's been the game changer for us this year on the UK Dedi is switching to Cloud Linux, and deploying CageFS to isolate sites, LVE Manager to cap resource usage, and KernelCare to automatically patch the kernel without reboots. When the DirtyCOW vulnerability broke last week the patch became available virtually instantly. Plus, their PHP selector is much better than the EA one.

The server now runs faster and uses less resources than it ever did. If you're running a multi-occupancy server then it's a no-brainer not to use it.

Thing is, like with my Joomla sites, it's the addons that can catch you out with PHP upgrades! Sometimes you never know for sure until you actually do it.

What's been the game changer for us this year on the UK Dedi is switching to Cloud Linux, and deploying CageFS to isolate sites, LVE Manager to cap resource usage, and KernelCare to automatically patch the kernel without reboots. When the DirtyCOW vulnerability broke last week the patch became available virtually instantly. Plus, their PHP selector is much better than the EA one.

The server now runs faster and uses less resources than it ever did. If you're running a multi-occupancy server then it's a no-brainer not to use it.

Thats the thing with phpBB everything seems to just work once the core files are updated

some plugins require a little update but nothing is ever broken as such

Thats the thing with phpBB everything seems to just work once the core files are updated

some plugins require a little update but nothing is ever broken as such

But with PHP 7 there's a lot of changes.......far more than any of the updates through the 5 series.

As a rough guide I'd be wary of any addons that haven't been updated for a year. They could go belly up.

Actually what me and Stu have been talking about is on topic......because it is about the forum!

Let me explain.....there's 3 aspects:

1. The front end that the user sees.

2. The software itself......both front end and back end.

3. The server.

We're talking about 2 and 3......and without those number 1 wouldn't exist. I ran bike forums for over 10 years......and never again. It's a thankless job, you can't please everybody no matter how hard you try.

Besides the financial responsibilities (and this forum is not running on some low budget shared hosting account, it's on a private server) it's a permanent and ongoing responsibility in terms of vigilance. Both front end, back end, and server, and you can never get away from it.

People expect things to just work. Well nothing does......it takes a lot of planning and time to ensure things keep ticking over. And Stu and I were just touching on some of those aspects that could be facing him when he upgrades to PHP 7.

Now upgrading to PHP 7 may not mean anything to you, but the user experience in terms of speed will be vastly improved when he does that......so it's something that everybody will benefit from. Like you benefit from a friendly atmosphere on the forum.....similarly you will benefit from an improved user experience.

I knew Stu back in 2010 or thereabouts and he was pretty green on this techie stuff then. But he's really taken the challenge onboard since then and I'm amazed at what he can do now. You're in good hands.