How often do you clean and lube chain?

Foxy Stoat seeks Pig

Cleaned and waxed my chain yesterday. Probably didn't need to but gave me something to do. I used WD40 Chain Cleaner and WD40 Chain Wax. half a tin of each, so i thought i wonder how often i shoulkd be doing this? Could get expensive. Probably doing around 100 mile a week commute at the moment.

I do it every few weeks depending on the amount I've ridden.

My mate does it every time he gets the chance because he likes it shiny, both seem to result in a long lasting healthy chain.

I use paraffin to clean mine. about half a mugs worth cleans the chain. 4L down homebase cost you about £6 so thats a massive saving there. Jsut use some rags soaked in it (and a gloved hand) and it shines. As for lubricant... i use a wax but that can be costly everyone has their own preference :D

I use paraffin and a chain brush, I probably clean the chain once a month but I lube it every week because I opted for a cheaper chain. I use some Motul stuff at the minute which is less waxy so it seems to clean some crap off as you apply it too.

Depends on how often I ride it and the conditions. Probably every 300-500 miles I'll give it a good clean and adjust it if needed, more during winter when the roads are rubbish, less during summer. I tend to check it pretty much every time I get on the bike however.

Half a can of chain wax sounds excessive to me? I tried the WD-40 chain wax and ended up having to replace the chain and sprockets as it gunked them up so much the chain got kinks in it I couldn't get loose. Possibly due to my chain being the smaller 420 rather than a 428 or bigger, I'm not sure.

Now I just use normal chain lube (not picked a brand I prefer over others yet) and WD-40 chain cleaner, which is my new favorite thing. It cleans everything!

I dont bother :popcorn:

Funny you mention that...

Got a new chain and sprockets for my 125 and didn't bother!! For about 1500 road miles and some very muddy green laning.

It broke today after it kept coming off and I would put it back on lol.

Ah well... Only £21 per kit who cares lol

That wd40 wax is bloody horrible. It flings more than Scotsmen at the Highland games.

I use muc off cleaner and it does a good job. I use another brand I can't remember off my head for the lube though. It's either wurth or fuchs.

I might switch to paraffin for the chain cleaning though. Need to take off my front sprocket cover and take off the sprockets and chain and give them all a good clean and degunk.

How long does it normally take to clean the chain and sprockets? The lazy part of me is interested in getting a shaft- or belt-driven bike for more reliability through the winter commute, but I don't want to curtail my options unnecessarily.

it can take as long or as little as you like

When I had a chain drive I cleaned and lubed little but often

I could have it done in 5 mins and that was putting the bike on and off the paddock stand too!

spray the chain with your cleaner clean off excess with a rag and then lube it up

Every time I get back from taking it off road, because it gets covered in crap. Otherwise, every couple of weeks. I use WD40 chain cleaner at the moment, but might cave in to Glorian's constant recommendations of paraffin. WD40 chain wax is my go-to at the moment, but only because I'm yet to find something I prefer. Tried some "Endurance" lubes but got sick of cleaning all the flung crap off my spokes! Might give the Rock Oil wax a go next, had a recommendation from a reliable source.

Oh, and the CG - basically never :lol: The chain is fully enclosed so it's more or less a case of opening the casing when the chain gets slack enough that I can hear it rattling on the casing, then cleaning and lubing the chain at the same time as I adjust it :lol: This is where I'm using up that god awful endurance lube I bought, because the fling isn't a problem :thumb: