Back protection

I've got a back protector in my jacket, but I've been lookiing at the stand alone ones just because they are bigger and cover more of the spine.

I'd be interested to hear what you think of the one you've bought - how much coverage, comfort, etc

It's something I've often considered but never actually pursued.......normally just rely on the foam one that comes with the jacket......maybe I should look into these a bit more seriously. ..... 8-)

I bought one of these Forcefield back protectors a couple of months ago for £94 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORCEFIELD-BODY-ARMOUR-PRO-L2K-EVO-BACK-PROTECTOR-MOTOR-CYCLE-BIKE-RACE-TRACKDAY-/361289193179?var=630629465864&hash=item541e8396db:m:mV8NvGJTPK09dHnPRwE5oFQ Level 2 approved and surprisingly comfortable and lightweight. Hardly even aware of it, but feel naked without it on my bike now.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/1SgAAOxy69JS~2q3/s-l500.jpg

I bought a Knox Aegis a few years ago. The same day I bought it I had an unplanned dismount and slid backwards in to a metal post. Anyway, worth every penny as I was able to get up, kick my bike back together and ride home. :-)

I bought a Knox Aegis a few years ago. The same day I bought it I had an unplanned dismount and slid backwards in to a metal post. Anyway, worth every penny as I was able to get up, kick my bike back together and ride home. :-)

Lucky man sort of :thumb:

I use forcefield too, feels wrong not having it on! Also have their chest one but not done many rides since buying that.

Going to sell them soon if anyones interested as my suit no longer fits and looking at held slade which has a full back protector within it.

Had the Forcefield one for a few years, and I use it every ride, just like my helmet. The only days I notice it are when it's really hot.

• 1 month later...

THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PIECE OF PROTECTION WHEN OUT ON THE BIKE!! YES, of course I have one. I got the Dainese Wave Air back protector. Never go out on the bike without it regardless of what I am wearing (leathers, skirt/dress) :D

THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PIECE OF PROTECTION WHEN OUT ON THE BIKE!! YES, of course I have one. I got the Dainese Wave Air back protector. Never go out on the bike without it regardless of what I am wearing (leathers, skirt/dress) :D

Tis not a lid is .

I've got one of those. Well, not a big fancy brand name one. Wanted some decent back armour, but also wanted some extra back support for longer rides because my back was being a shit at the time. Does both jobs well!

Tis not a lid is .

Surely that should be a condom, what with the raw animal attraction of us bikers?

ldW50.gif

I've got one of those. Well, not a big fancy brand name one. Wanted some decent back armour, but also wanted some extra back support for longer rides because my back was being a shit at the time. Does both jobs well!

Tis not a lid is .

Surely that should be a condom, what with the raw animal attraction of us bikers?

ldW50.gif

image.thumb.jpeg.b4b6a782dea199fff8094d2faebc16d3.jpeg

I bought this RST one as I couldn't find a stockist with a forcefield or knox one that would fit in my jacket.

Rather glad however, as the RST one cost me a whole £12 from my local Honda dealer!

https://www.rst-moto.com/rst-level-2-back-protector.html

Much more comfortable on the bike for longer distances now, and it does let air through, unlike the standard foamy bit. So no more sweaty back!

Aye, I've been a Knox Fan for Years now after picking up a small one at the BMF fair when I first starting riding and now have the mini version of the Aegis..

Jay has the full Aegis and we're slowly converting his Step-dad! :mrgreen: Honestly love them and in my biggest crash I dread to think what would have happened to me without it, cos I came down Hard on the base of my back.. :shock:

Can't recommend them enough.. !

One of the reasons I got the RST Paragon V jacket was that it has a level II CE back protector built in - figured that if it's built in then I can't be lazy and just not bother, and it's one less thing to do. However, seeing what people are saying about their importance, should I be getting a separate dedicated thing instead? :scratch:

IIt depends. Dedicated ones should not move at all if you come off the bike. Depending on your jacket, a protector in the pocket of your jacket may move and therefore not provide the protection it should.

I like my bike jacket to be quite snug. So I feel fine with a protector in the pocket, it doesn't move around. If I have bought a looser fitting jacket then a dedicated protector would have been a better choice.

THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PIECE OF PROTECTION WHEN OUT ON THE BIKE!!

No it isn't.

It can be beneficial in some circumstances, but in 99% of crashes it makes no difference and in many crashes it has been the cause of paraplegia and tetraplegia.

No it isn't.

It can be beneficial in some circumstances, but in 99% of crashes it makes no difference and in many crashes it has been the cause of paraplegia and tetraplegia.

Can you expand on this? You seem to be saying that having a back protector is worse than not?