PR4 Tyre Alternative...

onesea

Having beena PR 4 person for the last years I am starting to get hacked of with them. I have never worn a set out, I keep getting catastrophic punchers...

Great tyres but 4 tyres later I am starting to think they might do the miles as long as they are ridden on vacuumed roads....

Having had PR3s and PR4s and not happy with either, PR3s were squirmy over white lines in the wet, and the PR4s tracked so bad it was almost dangerous.

I have now got the new Avon Spirit STs on, not been out on them yet but I have high hopes as the best tyre I have had in the past were Avon Storm Ultra 2s.

Just my opinion of course.

Edit: I also run with Punctursafe in the tyres.

I've had both PR3's and PR4's (on PR4's currently), found them both to be excellent tyres, the only time I've encountered tracking was with the 3's when they started to square off, but as I'd done nearly 8k on them it was to be expected. My 4's will be changed early this year for another set of the same as they've now covered 7k and are starting to square.

Never had a puncture in either of them, I doubt the tyre itself would be prone to puncturing compared to another type, you've probably just been extremely unlucky with them,

It's odd that you sat that about the pr4's @raesewell I have never had a problem with them tracking!

Stu, they were fine for the first 800-1200 miles then they got steadily worse, they have got so bad that I will never buy Michelin again. It was almost like they saw a track in the road and made a bee-line for it. Filtering got really scary tracking across the join and white lines in the road.

I Run Pirelli Angel's myself more than happy with them, in all the tyre reviews I've read the PR4's come out on top in most cases. strange that you found them a bad choice, even more so when other riders with the same bike give them the thumb's up

It's odd that you sat that about the pr4's @raesewell I have never had a problem with them tracking!

Stu, they were fine for the first 800-1200 miles then they got steadily worse, they have got so bad that I will never buy Michelin again. It was almost like they saw a track in the road and made a bee-line for it. Filtering got really scary tracking across the join and white lines in the road.

What pressures do you run Rae?

I am not knocking the tyre performance wise best I have had on everything but wet grass...

The problem is the punctures, 4 tires now with about 6000 miles on them all picked up tyre killing puncture.

Still a few thousand miles read on them but unfixable punchers...

Agree you can get unlucky once twice but now I am on number 4 maybe I should think of a change.

If I buy PR4 this time it will be £1000 on PR4's in 2 years and I have yet to wear asset out it's getting beyond joke..

4 tyres.. 4 tyre killing punctures in under 2 years?

what the hell gives with the roads around you? or do you spend too much time in the gutter or on the traffic light road crest where crap tends to accumulate?

I have never.. not once in more than 35 years riding had a puncture that meant the tyre was only fit for the bin. never..

4 tyres.. 4 tyre killing punctures in under 2 years?

what the hell gives with the roads around you? or do you spend too much time in the gutter or on the traffic light road crest where crap tends to accumulate?

Is about every 6000 miles or service it seems i get a puncture. Last one attached a nice flint right through, no plug would fill that one..

20180104_125635.thumb.jpg.28355f47dd2fe1ab7fcd134a7fcebf91.jpg

36 front 42 rear

I Run Pirelli Angel's myself more than happy with them, in all the tyre reviews I've read the PR4's come out on top in most cases. strange that you found them a bad choice, even more so when other riders with the same bike give them the thumb's up

I've had Angel Gts, great tyres in fact the best but at a price. I've had good experiences with Avon in the past and bagged a pair of Spirit STs for 160 quid. So why not :D

I am not knocking the tyre performance wise best I have had on everything but wet grass...

The problem is the punctures, 4 tires now with about 6000 miles on them all picked up tyre killing puncture.

Still a few thousand miles read on them but unfixable punchers...

Agree you can get unlucky once twice but now I am on number 4 maybe I should think of a change.

If I buy PR4 this time it will be £1000 on PR4's in 2 years and I have yet to wear asset out it's getting beyond joke..

Do you by any chance ride on the main route to your local waste recycling centre ? Could be that all those trailers full of broken down flat pack furniture are shedding screws onto the road. Just a theory.

36 front 42 rear

No point comparing then as we run different pressures

There has been a long debate on the right pressures for the fjr varying from 36 to 40 in the front I have always found 40 is better for me but for me it affects lower speed riding more than anything

I would say stop riding in all the rubbish in the middle of the road. Sounds like bad luck.

The pr series are great I've used the 2 and 3 but on the new bike in running pilot powers as they wear at similar way but they a actually heat up and grip where as the pr3s squirm bad and the front likes to tuck

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk