Failed MOD 2 Test for second time with no minors

A big part of the Advanced Riding  IAM test is about progression but I’d certainly think twice passing a bin lorry with guys working whilst also wanting to avoid riding into the path of an oncoming van. The circumstances for the failure must have been very in a short window. There’s a fine line sometimes between progression and risk…

Would definitely encourage him to keep trying. We all know it’s worth it!!’

1 hour ago, keith1200rs said:

I would err on the side of caution in such circumstances. It is better to hang back and afterwards think "maybe I could have gone" rather than go and think "sh$t, that was close".

He did and failed and we don't have the examiners input as to what their view of the situation was.

They don't tend to want  folk to make dangerous maneuvers as that's a certain fail.

I read somewhere, maybe on here, of someone failing their test for "not being in control of their vehicle" 

They were told to make a left turn and as they turned into the street there was a car parked up with a door open so testee crossed the white line in the centre of the road to go past so was failed for basically avoiding a collision 

4 minutes ago, billy sugger said:

I read somewhere, maybe on here, of someone failing their test for "not being in control of their vehicle" 

They were told to make a left turn and as they turned into the street there was a car parked up with a door open so testee crossed the white line in the centre of the road to go past so was failed for basically avoiding a collision 

If something was coming the other way and the gap was too small I could see how that would happen, could have also been riding too close to said cars, in all these events your only getting one side of the event.

I failed my car test for not being in control of the vehicle :roll:

Told to park at side of road on a hill ( to do a hill start ) I decided just before I put the handbrake on that I wasn't close enough to the curb so I put the clutch pedal in so I'd roll back a little ( 2 feet max)  while I turned wheel to get closer.  Out came her pen :bang:

She told me at the end if I had put the car in reverse and done the same maneuver all would of been fine but by just letting the car roll I wasn't in control. :roll:

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/08/2023 at 00:06, Tiggie said:

by just letting the car roll I wasn't in control. :roll:

Correct. Strictly speaking if your vehicle is moving then you have to be in control of it, (i.e. through the use of the throttle, gears, clutch & brakes). If you allow other forces to move the vehicle, in this case gravity, you ain't in complete control as you couldn't counter it and move in a different direct if something went wrong.

In your case I think the examiner was being a bit pedantic and once you've passed you test, who cares, but they have rules and not in control is one of them, and a big one.

• Like 1