Mixing motorcycle oils

Nerka

I have peugoet speedfight 2 50cc. The guy that I bought it from was using mineral oil and I want to change it to semi or fully synthetic. There's a bit left in scooter and I am wondering if I can mix them up or not? Will it do any damage to the scooter or do I need to clear the old oil first?

Have you drained out the old oil, if not do that first, if you have, then just add the fresh oil :thumb:

. If I understand the OP's question then I am assuming that they wish to switch from one type of 2-stroke oil to another although it is not entirely clear. I'm guessing that the concern is that the two oils will have an adverse effect on each other when mixed . My answer is that I actually don't know . I stuck some castor based methanol in an MZ once and the petrol turned to jelly . So yeah , play it safe and drain out or use up as much of the old stuff as possible before sticking in the new.

Beware OP, not all advice given on forums is good advice.

Oh come on . You're not just going to leave it there are you ?

Guest Richzx6r

Probably wouldn't use engine flush on it either

I think he means his 2 stroke tank .

Right ok scrap my input lol

Yes, it was just a cautionary note.

18e44fca-6d8b-4391-9f63-a092ef8246af.gif.0d8dea454e7e02daa90c9330ecfc6faa.gif

I have peugoet speedfight 2 50cc. The guy that I bought it from was using mineral oil and I want to change it to semi or fully synthetic. There's a bit left in scooter and I am wondering if I can mix them up or not? Will it do any damage to the scooter or do I need to clear the old oil first?

Ha ha I just bought my 16 year old son the very same scooter on Saturday.. .

Iv been stripping the whole thing down as it's a bit of a mess at the moment.. needs some work few bits an Bob's new battery the kick start is no working .

Hows yours is it up and running .. I would post a pic but its in bits.. I want him to do some work on it fix it clean the old crap off it hoping he will look after.it a bit better . Rather than if I brake it dad fix it .

Have you drained out the old oil, if not do that first, if you have, then just add the fresh oil :thumb:

. If I understand the OP's question then I am assuming that they wish to switch from one type of 2-stroke oil to another although it is not entirely clear. I'm guessing that the concern is that the two oils will have an adverse effect on each other when mixed . My answer is that I actually don't know . I stuck some castor based methanol in an MZ once and the petrol turned to jelly . So yeah , play it safe and drain out or use up as much of the old stuff as possible before sticking in the new.

Never crossed my mind it could be 2 stroke, but i would still drain the old, and refill with fresh :cheers:

Yeah sorry, it's 2 stroke. Forgot to mention it. Petrol and oil goes in two different holes..

All two stroke oil types are mixable.. it doesn't matter if you add one to another. or drain it completely. or keep on using the current oil until the level is as low as you dare. or just top up it up with the brand new of your choice.

doesn't matter. They all do the same thing in exactly the same way. There is no mystery.

what DOES matter is that you never run out. That is the most important thing of all.

Yes, it was just a cautionary note.

You're absolutely right [mention]raesewell[/mention] there's a such a lot of bollocks that gets spouted on forums, and of course the occasional good bit of advise.

How do you think they do semi-synthetic oil in the refinery? Yes they mix synth created additive with mineral oil. You can mix any oils fine, but you must be sure the grade is fine. Means you can mix mineral and synth oils for say 2-stroke engines. Because it needs to burn in the engine 2-stroke oil is created lighter and contains additives for better combustion.

Disclaimer: I do work for one of the biggest oil producers in the world and if you make something wrong and f**k up your engine don't come back to me complaining mate, it's your fault :D