What did you do to your bike today?

Stu

Came to take out the MV, but the rear pressure was very low again (20 psi) - I guess the puncture repair from a couple of weeks ago isn't quite as good as I'd hoped. Might try and give it another go myself - when I can find the time. So it turned out it was the DRZ's turn to come out and play - Cambridge and back - and have its new tyres scrubbed in. They are nice nice nice - a huge improvement on what was there before. Would like get out again and try to push it a bit harder before the shite weather is on us.

• Like 5

Now the hot weather is over, I've fitted some mesh seat covers to the Tiger. Not sure how they'll cope with the heated seat, but the idea is they'll keep the rain from pooling around me nethers.

Well started given the old girl a 16000mile service,  seem's like it might of needed it,  air filter needed cleaning and 4 shims in rear cylinder!!!

Not done front cylinder yet,  that's tomorrow's job 👍.

20230929_162716.jpg

20230930_130905.jpg

20230930_131019.jpg

20230930_154201.jpg

• Like 6

Gave the car a service of oil, filters and plugs much needed.  Durty filters and oil are 6,500 miles old but the plugs are unknown age or mileage but at least 15thou, have a bit of chamfer to the back node especially the left plug which is cylinder 4 thats gets most varieties from least coverage.IMG_1095.thumb.jpeg.6aee8f7ea023773b3c55adf9d0bff0b2.jpegIMG_1093.thumb.jpeg.4330056083a03a045979d2752a8b0c0f.jpeg

wifes cbf service as its due a mot this month but not done a big serviced for a couple of years due to less activity. No where near as grubby as oldgrumps bike and his southern cider water but still good to do.IMG_1092.thumb.jpeg.64dd77bdbeed3df70051518c9d357d60.jpeg

still need to do my bike yet which this will be my first with it. every-time i had chance stepped out it was either trying to rain or a neighbour wanted a chat. Hopefully this weekend.🙏

• Like 1

Had to change one of the fork seals on the new to me 2019 Honda CB500X 

I must admit I was surprised that it had gone as it has low miles ( 5000)  thought it may be just dirt so I made a seal scraper and ran it through a couple of times but no joy 

So bought an original Honda seal and swapped it & changed the oil in both forks 

The oil in the right hand fork with the leaking seal was considerably dirtier than the left  

A very wet ride from Cheshire to Oxford. The rain was of biblical proportions.  Traffic was interesting, the usual rush hour through Birmingham,  then the fire at Luton Airport, then 5 police cars chasing another car. 

Three hours in solid rain and I arrived bone dry apart from my collar was very slightly damp. So I'm pleased with my waterproofs. I left the top vent open on my helmet so my hair was a bit damp as well. 

• Like 5

The new tank mount bobbins arrived for the DT100, so fitted the tank.  Looks ok from a vantage point right at the bottom of the garden.

Fitted a new fuel tap too.  An entire new tap was cheaper than the rubber disc valve assembly inside.  Go figure...

Unlocked the shed and looked at the VFR fast asleep under its blankets and wondered if I should wake her up.  Nope, I let her sleep on.  I will need to pull her out and winterise her next week for the winter hibernation.

This summer has been a disappointment in the riding department, largely due to crap weather when I had the inclination and my riding buddy needing to work a lot of weekends.  Apart from that, the DT100 has been taking a lot of my time and attention.

Since moving away from west yorkshire 20 years ago, I lost touch with all my old bike club mates, so it is harder to plan a good ride out.

Still.  The VFR is there for when I retire in six years.  More time on my hands then.

She has managed a full five miles this year, since her MOT at the beginning of July... The distance from the MOT station to my home is five miles.. Pic taken after we got back.. Little did we know she was not going to turn another wheel this year.

20230521_121055

• Like 9

Stripped DT100 carb and stuck it in the ultrasonic cleaner.  Gave it an hour, scrubbed the passages out and rebuilt it.  Jets checked,  Float height set and she is good to go.

Wandered over to the VFR shed, pulled off her blankets and took pity.  Started her up and ran her till the fan kicked in, spraying silicone spray into the rad and letting the fan spread it around under the tank, then sprayed everything else down with it.  Apart from the brake discs that is......

Finally topped her off to the brim with fresh premium fuel from my fuel stock and put her to bed again.

That is her till mid november, when she will get awakened and her oil warmed up again.

• Like 1

Started up the XJR - boy did it sound rough. I think I'm going to have to put it back on the road, just to keep some fuel going through the system.

Also replaced the Thunderbird's stock passenger foot pegs (read: about the size of a pack of polos) with some cheap after market running boards. Ever so slightly misaligned due to the position of the brackets, but close enough for jazz.

IMG_20231022_152648.jpg

IMG_20231022_152750.jpg

Edited by Fiddlesticks
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, Fiddlesticks said:

Started up the XJR - boy did it sound rough. I think I'm going to have to put it back on the road, just to keep some fuel going through the system.

There. Ninety quid (including a £30 service charge) to add it to the Tiger Explorer policy from 1 Nov to Aug 2024. Not too bad.

Only just got my road tax refund through after SORN in July. Doubt it'll get much use, but nice to have the option.

Edited by Fiddlesticks

On 24/10/2023 at 21:22, RideWithStyles said:

Good job! well known for the tingle even its a inline 4 😣.

Made a big difference after a short test ride.

I removed the seat to see if there is any opportunity to add some rubber insulation to the seat mountings, but the seat is already fitted using heavily insulated rubber bobbins at the rear, so the only opportunity to enhance was at the front plastic seat frame 'tongue' that locates and secures under the frame cross bar that the rear of the tank mounts to, which I guess must transmit some vibes being a solid mechanical locator/fit.

I taped some rubber inner tube around the seat frame tongue in the hope it make a small difference by insulating it from the frame a touch. 

Got on my bike last night, I pulled the clutch lever and snap... Venhill cable less than 6 months old, though I imagine it's a blip, I'll see if they replace it.

More annoying was I had to get to a hospital appointment I've been waiting months for so it was a mad dash to get a taxi and arrive looking like a total mess. The kind of thing that missing it or risking it being late was not an option, sods law.

Funnily enough the last few rides the clutch cable loosened loads and earlier in the day I thought "Is it snapping? No, can't be, it's nearly new. Imagine if it went on the way to the hospital later? Ha"

So the job for today is throw the old stretched one on it temporarily and give venhill a bell.

Also got to replace the gaskets I tore when I inspected my shift linkage the other day.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Interference Fit said:

Made a big difference after a short test ride.

I removed the seat to see if there is any opportunity to add some rubber insulation to the seat mountings, but the seat is already fitted using heavily insulated rubber bobbins at the rear, so the only opportunity to enhance was at the front plastic seat frame 'tongue' that locates and secures under the frame cross bar that the rear of the tank mounts to, which I guess must transmit some vibes being a solid mechanical locator/fit.

I taped some rubber inner tube around the seat frame tongue in the hope it make a small difference by insulating it from the frame a touch. 

High density foam would be better as it absorbs more frequencies, but if there is space for it id leave the rubber tubing there if its thin enough for structural and stick some HDF ontop of that.

13 hours ago, Interference Fit said:

Also fitted some Grip Puppies to further improve comfort. 

For some reason I find the bike handles better with them fitted. It must be something to do with the more comfortable hand grip. I have them on both bikes. 

correct fit is a better bike.
If the grips are too small for your hands it strains them (back of hand, wrists and fingers) as you have to use extra muscle strength and their position to hold the bars, then you have to over reach to grab the levers and adjusting the reach only cheats and masks the problem.
also reducing transferring vibrations from the engine so its less tiresome and more from the tires to you more lets you know subconsciously whats the bike doing under you.

4 hours ago, RideWithStyles said:

High density foam would be better as it absorbs more frequencies, but if there is space for it id leave the rubber tubing there if its thin enough for structural and stick some HDF ontop of that.

There isn't the room sadly as it's already meant to be a snug locator fit without the inner tube which is only about 1mm thick as it is. I'll see how it feels if the roads ever dry out enough.