What did you do to your bike today?

Stu

This really shows how much it is all down to personal choice.

You would struggle to get any of the boys doing top speed runs at Elvington to buy any Avon tyre as we have witnessed near misses with delamination at high speeds, very unlikely to ever affect anyone on the road or at a trackday but once witnessed the irrational prejudice is always there.

+1 for Michelin on most things for me and still occasionally use Bridgestones.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

As I've mentioned in another thread there are load of options in the golden era of tyres, with each manufacturer that make a tyre they think will work for their customer.
its just acase of understanding what you want/need, how the tyres technology's work to achieve that and if thats correct for the bike and you...you could call it preference.🙂

if i was to recommend for sake, didnt know them or newer riders it would be michelins first. just because they're safer as they work very well in all categories and have quite few downsides even to "preferences" like I mentioned before.

one of Which could be avoided if they didnt keep changing the models / moulds so often, to make it cheaper.

1 hour ago, RideWithStyles said:

For the delaminate, one likely possible to do with pressure and heat control, if the rubber its self is super heated almost to spot areas but the carcass is cold that can cause it.

Trust me the people involved in those incidents are all over it and numerous causes and theories have been put forward but at the end of the day we are exceeding all manufacturers limits at top speed events so it ultimately comes down to user beware which is why we tend to lean towards other makes if only because we haven`t seen them fail (yet!).

Cheers

Ian

My bike's oem were Pirellis and they weren't bad. They were occasionally twitchy in the wet especially as they started to wear. Very prone to squaring off. The Metzlers were a significant improvement all round and I had two sets of them. My only complaint was that both back tyres were good and then after a single 400 mile ride they weren't.  The last bit of tread seemed to go really fast.

The Michelins were on recommendation from another former  Metzler fan and I was told they were similar but better longevity. My experience with them to date is they are pretty damned good albeit pricey.

I'm not riding a sport bike so I'm not dragging my knee around corners.

Edited by S-Westerly
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Ian Frog said:

Trust me the people involved in those incidents are all over it and numerous causes and theories have been put forward but at the end of the day we are exceeding all manufacturers limits at top speed events so it ultimately comes down to user beware which is why we tend to lean towards other makes if only because we haven`t seen them fail (yet!).

Cheers

Ian

I assumed it was all above board.😇

Well there you go...if tou go beyond what it was rated for you are just asking for trouble🤨, if it hadn't been subjected to that and it had done it with correctly set up then id be questioning it. Not Avons fault then just the users.🤪

For the road even track day Avons are ok, but as you say irrational prejudice...

I guess if i was gonna make a quip would be Avons would be like the lotus colin chapmans era, make to pass but no more.... to make it clear the bar is very high these days!!!

id still buy Avon over bridgestones any day...couldn't give them to me for free.

Edited by RideWithStyles

3 hours ago, RideWithStyles said:

I assumed it was all above board.😇

Well there you go...if tou go beyond what it was rated for you are just asking for trouble🤨, if it hadn't been subjected to that and it had done it with correctly set up then id be questioning it. Not Avons fault then just the users.🤪

For the road even track day Avons are ok, but as you say irrational prejudice...

I guess if i was gonna make a quip would be Avons would be like the lotus colin chapmans era, make to pass but no more.... to make it clear the bar is very high these days!!!

id still buy Avon over bridgestones any day...couldn't give them to me for free.

honnington2.jpg.b4512fbcb32be4a42c2d54cd4fe497f8.jpghonnington.jpg.6a2d8569e9e6abfec02c0a5f4aa2dda2.jpg

Just for the record before anyone thinks we were just recklessly exceeding limits (which we were to an extent) the incidents I mentioned happened at properly sanctioned top speed events organised by "Straightliners" and 200MPH.org and were attended by medics and properly sanctioned by Guiness records etc.

Cheers

Ian

23 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

I fitted those to the Ducati and tbh don't notice any difference to the Metzlers. However according to my son in law who preceded me down this route the Michelin tyres wear a lot better than the Metzlers. Time will tell as so far I've only done about a 1000 miles on them.

about 8K on these tyres and they are just about on the wear markers which are set at 1.5mm on these 

as you can see they aren't really square and they have worn pretty evenly 

PXL_20230831_192329391.jpg

PXL_20230831_192357981.jpg

• Like 3

Not sure if we're looking at the same picture or its the perception.

Even with the not best picture it has actually squared noticeably but not the worst ive seen to be honest.
Wear is quite good for a technical Michelin though i can still see a Slight lipping on the back edge of the tread past the crown all the way down, uneven hills/dips at the 1/11 and at the 2/10 oclock.

again not bad wear and not the worst ive seen but improvements can be made.

Hows the front?

when you change those tyres you'll notice a difference for the better.

Edited by RideWithStyles

Its probably the camera angle and lighting but as I said its not really squared off 

As for the lipping this is the nature of the tyre and how soft the edges are they have all done this on all the bikes I have owned! PR3's right the way through to PR6 

On 27/08/2023 at 21:17, Mickly said:

Went scoping out some green lanes, there’s one leading over the busy Burton Dassett hills, never have I had so many disapproving stares while doing something legal.

I've just looked at the OS Map of the Burton Dassett hills and Edge Hill I'm struggling to see any legal Green Lane. Maybe that's why you're getting disapproving stares.

4 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

All this technical jargon about tyres confuses me. I just said I want something that sticks to road like s**t to a blanket. 

You won't go wrong with the Pilot Roads 

11 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

All this technical jargon about tyres confuses me. I just said I want something that sticks to road like s**t to a blanket. 

(S**t) Bridgestones and a (blanket) fire pit...

11 minutes ago, Capt Sisko said:

I've just looked at the OS Map of the Burton Dassett hills and Edge Hill I'm struggling to see any legal Green Lane. Maybe that's why you're getting disapproving stares.

Dogging spots are more common and more welcome than a "noisy" bike greening.

So to be correct the name tag of "pilot" road stopped after number 4, then it was just called ROAD 5 & ROAD 6. 

Edited by RideWithStyles

On 28/08/2023 at 17:09, geofferz said:

Aaaand got pulled over on the way home for 'undertaking' which isn't even illegal so why is a law enforcement officer telling me off about it?! Wasn't speeding.

Under taking usually carries as Due Care & Attention rap, sound like you were lucky to get away with it. The only reasonable exemption for undertaking is when all lanes are varying their speed due to traffic conditions. You actual speed has nothing to do with it. On situations like this I look at it in two ways. 1/ Would you have done what you did when you took your test?  and 2/ Would you have done it with a marked police care behind you? If the answer to either is no, then generally speaking you're doing something dodgy.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, RideWithStyles said:

Dogging spots are more common and more welcome than a "noisy" bike greening.

Gawd, I came (as in drove past not. . . ) one of these a couple of years ago. There were six of us doing some summer evening green laning but we'd had a breakdown and a puncture. It wasn't just dusk, but getting dark as we rode out of the last lane. There were about four or five cars in the car park and four blokes standing around one of the cars, some with their trousers down to their ankles. It was hilarious as six trail bike came out of the track, headlights on, engines revving playing it up as we click what was going on, blokes trying to run and pull their trousers up at the same time. The woman in the car dipped below the window line and the husband floored it.  One of the funniest thing I've ever seen.

Edited by Capt Sisko
  • Haha 3

47 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Im just waiting for the reply, their black and round thats all the jargon u need to know🤭

Edited by RideWithStyles

9 hours ago, Capt Sisko said:

There were six of us doing some summer evening green laning couple of years ago.

There were about four or five cars in the car park and four blokes standing around one of the cars, some with their trousers down to their ankles. It was hilarious we click what was going on, blokes trying to run and pull their trousers up at the same time. Gawd, I came as i drove past .The woman in the car dipped below the window line and the husband floored it.  One of the funniest thing I've ever seen.

I read what you said but in my twisted mind this is whow I pictured it above😂.

They must be giver's not takers thats why they ran.

sorry 😞 i wont twist it any more.

What makes you so sure it was the husband??🤣.

must of been first timers, they didnt stick around to finish. 

im desperate to say more but i think youll ban me.

Edited by RideWithStyles

9 hours ago, Capt Sisko said:

I’ve checked the TRF green lane map & on the OS map app - here it is in green:50CDAF34-3DC6-4B46-A784-021AE65D0ED0.thumb.jpeg.3ae16b3639808ace5641203eac970bff.jpeg

23 minutes ago, RideWithStyles said:

Wow you REALLY had to zoom in to find it..not much longer than the back street in town. the ramblers shouldve clapped in recognition for just for finding such a small lane as you went past.

but as such id redirect you to my other post(s) of their real demeanour.

Yeah, it’s only a short stretch, but I’ve mapped out a series of lanes linked by roads that goes to near Daventry, gonna get a mate along, shouldn’t really be green laning solo.