Sena Ride Connected App

I’m not a fan of Sena. I say this as someone who has two, a 20s and a 30k.

They’re very over priced for what they don’t deliver and it hacks me off they sell them saying the connectivity between sets is over a mile without saying that’s actually for several sets connected together in a chain when in reality after a couple of hundred metres they annoyingly crack and pop because a Bluetooth connection between two moving objects is not ever gonna be up to much.

My solution so far has been to switch it off or disconnect from the other rider. If I’m being honest I don’t really want to listen to someone else while I’m riding (if I’m being really honest most of the time I don’t want to ride with anyone else anyway) but sometimes it’s useful and I paid for the damn things so I’d like them to work.

The ‘Ride Connected’ app works using your phone to stay connected, this uses data but I have plenty of that so was thinking I’ll give it a go.

Does anyone here have any experience of the ‘Ride Connected’ app? Does it work a lot better than normal Bluetooth coms kits?

Don't know, but if there's just 2 of you then you can just make a phone call. In fact if there are more you can do a WhatsApp group call, though the latency is a bit annoying if you're talking lots.

I have used Ride connected and it's a real bother to set up. You have to create a new group every time you use it. Once connected it works but I ditched it.

I have the 20S Evo and when connected to another 20S the connected distance between the units is just over 3/4 of a mile in clear terrain in town it's about 4 to 5 hundred yards.

Hi

I have been using Helmchat (android) recently works OK if you have a decent 3-4G signal It piggy backs another group chat platform but tweaked for bikes and BT Helmet's. It will work on IOS but you use the app it piggybacking OK if at least one is on Android but I not sue if how well it works is all are IOS.

[mention]raesewell[/mention] I find all the Sena things a pain to set up. Another failing on Sena’s part. If ride connect gives better sound quality ie no cracking and popping noises I’d be prepared to give it a whirl. The distances are fine so long as there’s a completely clear line of sight and no interference, which over any distance seems to be rare.

[mention]exportmanuk[/mention] thanks for that. Hadn’t considered using another app. Unfortunately it’s all ios at the moment but I’m sure they’ll be some alternative or workaround.

Great topic. I was wondering how to keep in touch with my partner when we are travelling, me on the bike and her in the car. Obviously I want some kind of always on intercom, can't ring her up when I'm at a roundabout and can't see which way she went...I am going to try out helmchat, that may be the solution

Great topic. I was wondering how to keep in touch with my partner when we are travelling, me on the bike and her in the car. Obviously I want some kind of always on intercom, can't ring her up when I'm at a roundabout and can't see which way she went...I am going to try out helmchat, that may be the solution

You need a sat nav!

I have one for sale :popcorn:

:lol:

The 20s and the 30K Bluetooth if you’ve updated the software are now the same.

As I only use my phone for sat nav I’m gonna give the ride connected a whirl. I’ve bought a wee sena remote button for the bars (mixed reviews) to make it easier but the test run will have to wait til December now :roll:

I’ll report back on how it goes. If [mention]raesewell[/mention]s experience is anything to go by it’ll be a waste of time :lol:

I can't help with the issue in the OP, but I'll add my voice to those who are less than impressed with Sena. I have a 10C Pro, which is the model with the camera built in, and I've had nothing but problems with it.

It refuses to update unless I plug it in to a 15 year old Windows laptop; the battery life is pants; the camera image quality is poor (although the audio is excellent); and I've had problems connecting to other Sena devices. It's been back to Sena twice and they can't/won't resolve these issues, despite me being in communication with them continuously since I bought it two years ago. I've had it exchanged once only to experience exactly the same problems with the replacement, and they've flatly refused to swap it over for the newer Evo model, which I've been requesting now for months.

My problem is that I have the best part of £400 invested in it and I don't want to just discard it. It also provides a pretty elegant one-device solution to filming, communicating and giving me a bluetooth connection to my phone, with everything handled by a superb microphone and a single set of speakers installed in my helmet. There's nothing else on the market that will do that, to my knowledge, and I don't really fancy switching to a GoPro, with its relatively klunky mounting solutions and requirement for an additional external microphone/sound recorder.

I've had nothing but a positive experience with my Sena 20S Evo, I just upgraded to the HD Speakers and they are better than the standard speakers, louder, clearer. Sena have many years experience with communication systems but not so with camera systems so teething problems with the camera are to be expected. As with most new products the public are used as testers so better to wait for version 2 to be released.

I've had nothing but a positive experience with my Sena 20S Evo, I just upgraded to the HD Speakers and they are better than the standard speakers, louder, clearer. Sena have many years experience with communication systems but not so with camera systems so teething problems with the camera are to be expected. As with most new products the public are used as testers so better to wait for version 2 to be released.

That's good to hear about the speakers, no pun intended, the bit I read said there would be no improvement without the new Base and the 50s/r, I've never been impressed with the volume of them.

I think you're right about the comms element (which is superb, by all accounts), but the camera has been out for years now. Given that many of the problems are firmware related (and the Sena forum confirms that my experiences are very far from unique, and are in fact widespread) there should have been a fix by now. I was also advised that the newer version (the Evo) uses the same firmware so is also likely to be unreliable.

I looked at the sena camera and decided against it, I got a drift, although the mounting and recording are great it now refuses to charge, an issue I had under warranty, it was sent away, Checked, firmware upgraded and guess what, still won't charge, so sena don't have the shit camera market all to them selves.

Have there been reports of problems on the newer Evo version? As I said second generation versions tend to be better, maybe not perfect but better.

I'm not sure. However, given that it uses the same firmware and Sena have refused to upgrade my Pro (which cost the same and was reported as faulty almost from new), I'm not about to pay another £400 to find out.

Maybe it's time the good old CB radio made a come back, i have a Midland one somewhere :lol: :thumb:

God, how we used to love CB radio when we were teens.

Back in the day that was our social media :lol:

Maybe it's time the good old CB radio made a come back, i have a Midland one somewhere :lol: :thumb:

God, how we used to love CB radio when we were teens.

Back in the day that was our social media :lol:

Yes it was :D

From memory it was a lot more fun, too.

just out of curiosity i googled and found :lol:

Is CB radio still used in UK?

Although the use of CB radios in the UK has declined from its peak, it is still popular, especially with the farming community, Land Rover owners and Mini-Cab services. It is also fitted as standard to 'Street Glide' and 'Electra Glide' models of Harley Davidson touring motorcycles sold in the UK.

They are updated to use the same software and theres no difference between the 20s and 30K using Bluetooth.

I bought the 30K cos I needed another coms kit and it dropped in price to the same level (ish) as the 20s. I thought I’d future proof myself by getting the mesh but now I’ve experienced the fibs they tell, the poor service and dubious quality I wish I’d bought a Cardo pack talk.

When I googled a cure the internet is littered with people having similar problems and very little help from Sena so whilst I’m happy for folk who got a good one their customer service is crap, their product is at best inconsistent, it’s over priced for the quality (not waterproof?!) and it’s not intuitive to use.

They need some competition or at least to make more of an effort.