Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

10 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

It 4.4C here, so positively Mediterranean. 

Today I am salvaging the remains of the fence that blew down before Christmas to make compost bays. 

Good use of a broken fence. 

Sounds like work though. 

‘Twas a tad nippy in the front room this morning, Mrs Mickly informed me that the gas fire wasn’t working & that we’d have to get someone in to fix it.

Getting someone in, is, in my eyes an absolute last resort, so I said I’d have a look when we got back from the school run & shopping - thus began the argument over whether l as a non professional should go anywhere near it in case I blow up

the whole house, she wouldn’t let it lie & kept on about it for the next 4 hours !! I eventually said yeah ok, just to shut her up.

When we got home I realised it was the piezoelectric spark not working so used a couple of cotton buds & contact cleaner to get rid of any debris & hey presto it was working again, she hasn’t said a word since.

- footnote: she’d ‘cleaned’ the fire the night before 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, Mickly said:

‘Twas a tad nippy in the front room this morning, Mrs Mickly informed me that the gas fire wasn’t working & that we’d have to get someone in to fix it.

Getting someone in, is, in my eyes an absolute last resort, so I said I’d have a look when we got back from the school run & shopping - thus began the argument over whether l as a non professional should go anywhere near it in case I blow up

the whole house, she wouldn’t let it lie & kept on about it for the next 4 hours !! I eventually said yeah ok, just to shut her up.

When we got home I realised it was the piezoelectric spark not working so used a couple of cotton buds & contact cleaner to get rid of any debris & hey presto it was working again, she hasn’t said a word since.

- footnote: she’d ‘cleaned’ the fire the night before 🤣

Some years ago I was asked with regard to a gas fire - Did a professional fix that?

To which I answered with complete honesty - Yes.

I am a professional. Just not a professional gas fitter. They had their chance, several times, and failed.

• Like 5

Good morning!

Off car shopping today. Boring as it is. Getting to the time I get rid of the quick 3 door hatch and get something more practical. Something that I can reliably run for 10+ years, and can potentially throw a couple of kids in the back of if they happen. It just needs to not bore me to tears.

It’s probably going to end up being Kia… What have I become? :lol: 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Fozzie said:

Good morning!

Off car shopping today. Boring as it is. Getting to the time I get rid of the quick 3 door hatch and get something more practical. Something that I can reliably run for 10+ years, and can potentially throw a couple of kids in the back of if they happen. It just needs to not bore me to tears.

It’s probably going to end up being Kia… What have I become? :lol: 

When you ride motorbikes any car is just a tin box on wheels.

I always buy something 2-3 years old then run it into the ground. As they older and more battered I enjoy them more. I only had a new car once and hated it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

When you ride motorbikes any car is just a tin box on wheels.

I always buy something 2-3 years old then run it into the ground. As they older and more battered I enjoy them more. I only had a new car once and hated it.

I’m very similar, I bought a new car once and had huge buyers remorse. 20% of its value vanished during its first drive. I said never again, and only buy 1-3 year old cars in the spec I like. 

I suspect this next car will be my last petrol. As in a decade or so I imagine electric cars will have moved on a bit, and the infrastructure there to support them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fozzie said:

I suspect this next car will be my last petrol. As in a decade or so I imagine electric cars will have moved on a bit, and the infrastructure there to support them. 

Won't be holding my breath for the infrastructure as this country seems to be suffering from a total inability to produce major projects on time and on budget - HS2, CrossRail, Hinckley B, any kind of military kit you care to name, etc  etc.

• Like 3