Touring Bike Advice

Andriko

27 minutes ago, Bender said:

Sorry I'm dry January 👍 

SWMBO decided we're not buying anything in Jan... so I'm going through emergency reserves :)

This one is 70% hand-crafted stuff that needs to be respected. Definitely no viruses will survive!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jerry1111 said:

SWMBO decided we're not buying anything in Jan... so I'm going through emergency reserves :)

This one is 70% hand-crafted stuff that needs to be respected. Definitely no viruses will survive!

Do I need to send you a food parcel, buying nothing sounds a bit extreme, it's going to be a long month.

Sitting with a cask strength 12 yo whisky myself. Dry January can, along with veganuary go and f**k itself. A cold day in hell when I'm home and not able to have a drink if I want. Spend enough months dry aboard ship!

Edited by S-Westerly
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Sitting with a cask strength 12 yo whisky myself. Dry January can, along with veganuary go and f**k itself. A cold day in hell when I'm home and not able to have a drink if I want. Spend enough months dry aboard ship!

I can categorically say if I'm on a ship I will be drinking 😁 

5 minutes ago, Bender said:

I can categorically say if I'm on a ship I will be drinking 😁 

Come to think of it... Don't remember a single dry sailing trip - and I don't intend to change this memory!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jerry1111 said:

Welcome to 2% of population then!

Ohhh that's nice to know, we were on a big transfer launch in Indian ocean, engines cut out in a storm, waves were bigger than boat, it was very sketchy for about 10mins of being rolled about with no power, wife was green but was just about ok, there were folk being sick everywhere, it was a bit of a pass it on effect once folk started everyone joined, I just kept my eye on where we needed to go incase we ended up capsizing.

If you're in a small boat and someone starts barfing loads of people feel like joining in. I've never been sea sick in my life on any size of boat or ship. One of my grandsons gets queasy but none of the rest of us. Among the living adults there's 3 serving seafarers and 2 former. Among the recently deceased (last 15 years or so) there's another 4. Proper seadogs us!

5 minutes ago, Bender said:

I just kept my eye on where we needed to go incase we ended up capsizing.

It's usually from F8 that most get triggered. Also sea waves are very different to lake waves wrt sea sickness. Problem is the remaining few need to keep sailing for another 48h until the rest comes back online.

PS: when keeping an eye on a few folks in dodgy weather - count them. Also include yourself in that count, so if you're getting rescued then they know how many to look for...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jerry1111 said:

It's usually from F8 that most get triggered. Also sea waves are very different to lake waves wrt sea sickness. Problem is the remaining few need to keep sailing for another 48h until the rest comes back online.

PS: when keeping an eye on a few folks in dodgy weather - count them. Also include yourself in that count, so if you're getting rescued then they know how many to look for...

Good advice on numbers, ours was luckily only a couple of hours link to a main island. They should never have set off.

I probably took notice of how many were between us and the stairs for self preservation, I even had features on the floor and ceiling mapped out for when they were the wrong way.

• Like 1

I took a few prescription sea sickness pills then  went mackerel fishing off Teignmouth in a flat calm . During the trip we necked a couple of litres of local cider . It was a very pleasant trip and when I got ashore I can honestly say that I was the most serenely f****d up I have ever been . I've no idea what was in those pills but I bet they have a street value . 

• Like 2