Xmas presents

husoi

14 hours ago, Trooper74 said:

Sit next to it and talk about sailing boat hire in the Maldives ... and within a few hours the adverts on your laptop or device will be for .... Sailing Boat Hire in the Maldives .... It's even worse if you have a Mac Book ... start talking about cycle hire in Nepal and within minutes the adverts appear ... It's a game my grandson and I play ....

This is another good reason why I shouldn't have one of these. When I talk with friends about plans to kill the queen and replace her it might land us in hot water.

But it is one of the sometimes essential aspects of beekeeping when a hive turns aggressive.

• Haha 4

new phone arrived today, took 17 days. so, that's it for this year... my guilt ridden family have given me a rather fruity Christmas!!  MacBook and an iPhone 12 Pro Max. Apple overdose! (eldest of 5 has some benefits.. when they decide to have a whip round)

Max Sigh GIF by The Secret Life Of Pets

I hesitate to post this because I know I’m going to be ridiculed. I mean I wouldn’t believe it myself. But I swear it is true. 
I have an Alexa. Recently a female friend came to see me. She had had a row with her husband. She was spending time apart. I am widowed. I have been for a few years now. I told my friend that when I was married my wife and I had some troubles and spent time apart. And when we were together again I said things between us were better than ever. 
At that very moment Alexa began playing a song that my wife used to play a lot. Annie Lennox, Money can’t buy it. … we were both astonished. My friend didn’t know the significance of the song. But Alexa doesn’t normally play random songs out of the blue. I had never asked Alexa to play that song before. I have looked at the history in the Alexa app on my phone. And this incident isn’t recorded. As if it just didn’t happen. … I’m not normally inclined to believe in contact from spirits etc but I know something strange has happened. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Davidtav said:

I hesitate to post this because I know I’m going to be ridiculed. I mean I wouldn’t believe it myself. But I swear it is true. 
I have an Alexa. Recently a female friend came to see me. She had had a row with her husband. She was spending time apart. I am widowed. I have been for a few years now. I told my friend that when I was married my wife and I had some troubles and spent time apart. And when we were together again I said things between us were better than ever. 
At that very moment Alexa began playing a song that my wife used to play a lot. Annie Lennox, Money can’t buy it. … we were both astonished. My friend didn’t know the significance of the song. But Alexa doesn’t normally play random songs out of the blue. I had never asked Alexa to play that song before. I have looked at the history in the Alexa app on my phone. And this incident isn’t recorded. As if it just didn’t happen. … I’m not normally inclined to believe in contact from spirits etc but I know something strange has happened. 

No ridiculing from me! I have witnessed weird stuff like this before! its scary shit if you ask me and makes the hairs stand up! 

• Like 2

Guest Richzx6r
13 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

This is another good reason why I shouldn't have one of these. When I talk with friends about plans to kill the queen and replace her it might land us in hot water.

But it is one of the sometimes essential aspects of beekeeping when a hive turns aggressive.

Do hives turn aggressive alot then

9 hours ago, Richzx6r said:

Do hives turn aggressive alot then

It depends on a wide range of factors. The queen determines the behaviour by genetics and pheromones. But even a calm hive will get aggressive if they have honey to defend, if there is robbing going on, if a flow of nectar dries up or if there is thunder around. 

It's a matter of judgement whether the bad behaviour is a response to conditions or a predisposition.

If it's a predisposition then changing the queen can turn a hive of monsters into much calmer bees.

Edited by Mississippi Bullfrog

14 hours ago, Gerontious said:

new phone arrived today, took 17 days. so, that's it for this year... my guilt ridden family have given me a rather fruity Christmas!!  MacBook and an iPhone 12 Pro Max. Apple overdose! (eldest of 5 has some benefits.. when they decide to have a whip round)

Max Sigh GIF by The Secret Life Of Pets

Nothing like a bit of guilt for producing large “Im sorry” gifts, I’m always torn over whether trying to demonstrate sorry with material things is ok or not. I kinda concluded that any form of saying sorry is fine so long as it’s meant. 

Got a whopping £400 hotel voucher this Christmas from a family member who has for the last 5+ years written a Christmas card to my husband and sons deliberately leaving my name off. Not sure how to respond to that one so I still haven’t!

But 5... FIVE siblings crikey can’t imagine it. 

7 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Nothing like a bit of guilt for producing large “Im sorry” gifts, I’m always torn over whether trying to demonstrate sorry with material things is ok or not. I kinda concluded that any form of saying sorry is fine so long as it’s meant. 

Got a whopping £400 hotel voucher this Christmas from a family member who has for the last 5+ years written a Christmas card to my husband and sons deliberately leaving my name off. Not sure how to respond to that one so I still haven’t!

But 5... FIVE siblings crikey can’t imagine it. 

Catholics. I was 5 when the next two were born and my mother was seemingly permanently pregnant for 5 years. I mistyped. I am the eldest of 6. 

1 hour ago, Gerontious said:

Catholics. I was 5 when the next two were born and my mother was seemingly permanently pregnant for 5 years. I mistyped. I am the eldest of 6. 

Pregnant for 5 years 😱 

Well I don’t wish to provoke any religious craziness with this post but listening to Stephen Fry clarity on - Is the Catholic Church a Force for Good? is enough to finish off the Catholic Church in any unbiased persons mind. Still available youtube for anyone with an interest!

19 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Pregnant for 5 years 😱 

Well I don’t wish to provoke any religious craziness with this post but listening to Stephen Fry clarity on - Is the Catholic Church a Force for Good? is enough to finish off the Catholic Church in any unbiased persons mind. Still available youtube for anyone with an interest!

There is no such thing as a religious unbiased mind.

The biggest threat to Catholicism at present and to many religions in general is covid.

People get out of the habit of attending Sat night mass/ Sunday morning.

When communal worship was permitted. Booking was essential etc. But the average age well over 70. Case in point mother in law booked on every week. 

This obviously stopped the families turning up casually on the sunday or the kids needing to attend for their first holy communion etc.

Or for that matter  protestants going through the motions to get their kids in a Catholic school.

3 hours ago, NeilM said:

Or for that matter  protestants going through the motions to get their kids in a Catholic school.

These people are insane. I can’t imagine a scenario where the child’s innocence is exchangeable for higher chances of exam success but then again our nearest full on Catholic school is Downside. Only called out in 2018 for over 40yrs of systemic child abuse, covering up and turning a blind eye to paedophiles on a massive scale. If you mention sending your child to a Catholic School round here people will just wonder why you hate your kids!

Next time its on TV make a point of watching the movie "Philomena" that could so easily have been my mother... and me. As my mother became pregnant with me outside of wedlock in early 1960s catholic Ireland... but, had the sense to do a runner and so I was born north of the border. Had she stayed in the republic, I would likely have died as I was both premature and born with tonsillitis and so had breathing difficulties. The convents made a point of offering zero post natal care. Had I survived that, it's very likely that I could have been sold to wealthy childless people who could afford to make a substantial (at the time) donation to the convent.

And I would have been born in a convent as that was the only option. The child sold and the mother forced to work as slave labour in lieu of payment.

• Sad 1

My dad did a runner from the Catholic Church.  He was sent to a seminary run by the Christian Brothers and was supposed to become a priest. He ran away to sea and then had the temerity to later marry a protestant. Family relations were quite strained for many years.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

These people are insane. I can’t imagine a scenario where the child’s innocence is exchangeable for higher chances of exam success but then again our nearest full on Catholic school is Downside. Only called out in 2018 for over 40yrs of systemic child abuse, covering up and turning a blind eye to paedophiles on a massive scale. If you mention sending your child to a Catholic School round here people will just wonder why you hate your kids!

Theres good and bad in all religions.  It certainly wasn't just the catholics who were fiddling. 

But I'm certainly not denying Rome has a hell of a lot of history to answer for.

In this country though as well as systemic racism in some areas of life and media, there is also systemic sectarianism. Hence why its always the catholics who were fiddling.

My kids went to a Catholic school. My nephews and neices still do.

Round by us. 1 school has had an incident of child abuse. You won't of all seen it in the national press. Because it was a Church of England primary......

58 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

Next time its on TV make a point of watching the movie "Philomena" that could so easily have been my mother... and me. As my mother became pregnant with me outside of wedlock in early 1960s catholic Ireland... but, had the sense to do a runner and so I was born north of the border. Had she stayed in the republic, I would likely have died as I was both premature and born with tonsillitis and so had breathing difficulties. The convents made a point of offering zero post natal care. Had I survived that, it's very likely that I could have been sold to wealthy childless people who could afford to make a substantial (at the time) donation to the convent.

And I would have been born in a convent as that was the only option. The child sold and the mother forced to work as slave labour in lieu of payment.

I have seen it and a horrifying Tuam mother and baby documentary. Not something people survived unscathed from, if they survived at all. 

12 minutes ago, James in Brum said:

Catholic Church had a policy of protecting paedophiles and not children. If c of e did to they are no better. 

It did protect.  I don't deny that. They all did.

I like to  think its in the past.

But. Not all priests were peodos. Thats my point. Good and bad in all walks of life

12 minutes ago, James in Brum said:

Catholic Church had a policy of protecting paedophiles and not children. If c of e did to they are no better. 

We had a violent aggressive priest as a kid at school, but he didn't really stand out as most of the teachers were violent and or aggressive.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, NeilM said:

Theres good and bad in all religions.  It certainly wasn't just the catholics who were fiddling. 

But I'm certainly not denying Rome has a hell of a lot of history to answer for.

In this country though as well as systemic racism in some areas of life and media, there is also systemic sectarianism. Hence why its always the catholics who were fiddling.

My kids went to a Catholic school. My nephews and neices still do.

Round by us. 1 school has had an incident of child abuse. You won't of all seen it in the national press. Because it was a Church of England primary......

I’m pretty sure we’ve been down this road before. It went something along the lines of - depends on the numbers and the Catholic’s child abuse numbers are sky high. Then you reply something along the lines of that’s just because they don’t report it. Then I say blah blah blah and we have a go on a merry go round that leaves us both where we started except slightly annoyed 😂

If you’re happy with your children at Catholic school that is your choice... but it’s not theirs, you chose a religion for them and as a parent that’s your prerogative, it’s also where you and I differ. 

2 minutes ago, NeilM said:

But. Not all priests were peodos. 

Using that word to describe these priests is far too simplistic. I bet it's not in the past... because nothing has changed. nothing, in the culture that produced these men. It can only change when these men are allowed to sexually mature past the mental age of an 11 year old.

Anyway.. time too bow out of this one as its far too close to home for my taste.

6 minutes ago, NeilM said:

But. Not all priests were peodos. Thats my point. Good and bad in all walks of life

It’s certainly not in the past. Look up Downend School. For people dealing with it it’s very much in the present. The that’s all behind us approach doesn’t work for me because the victims don’t come forward until they are grown up so it’s possible to say “that’s all in the past” about child abuse victims forever. 

3 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I’m pretty sure we’ve been down this road before. It went something along the lines of - depends on the numbers and the Catholic’s child abuse numbers are sky high. Then you reply something along the lines of that’s just because they don’t report it. Then I say blah blah blah and we have a go on a merry go round that leaves us both where we started except slightly annoyed 😂

If you’re happy with your children at Catholic school that is your choice... but it’s not theirs, you chose a religion for them and as a parent that’s your prerogative, it’s also where you and I differ. 

Was perfectly happy.

They both achieved very well.

Deffo no fiddling.

Religion was never forced down their necks. Yes we chose their religon and had them christened. Would have been a bit daft to choose anything but Catholicism though as both sides of the family are historically left footed...

They both go as and when they please to mass. Don't make them go.

I don't practise. Go once a blue moon.

The reason i get a little defensive at times is that one of my best mates is a priest and i trust him 100 %

Peace