Just broke my bike, oil everywhere

James in Brum

Have ordered new gaskets from Cradley Kawasaki :-) 

one thing I can’t work out is you can buy new flanges, how the flipping heck do you get them on? 

i have new to me four into two coming and new gaskets. I just need to remember that this wasn’t even the original problem and once the exhaust is on I need to fit the oil cooler and put oil in before starting. 
watch this space next weekend for more f**k ups :-) 

Edited by James in Brum
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, James in Brum said:

Have ordered new gaskets from Cradley Kawasaki :-) 

one thing I can’t work out is you can buy new flanges, how the flipping heck do you get them on? 

i have new to me four into two coming and new gaskets. I just need to remember that this wasn’t even the original problem and once the exhaust is on I need to fit the oil cooler and put oil in before starting. 
watch this space next weekend for more f**k ups :-) 

Just remember the man that never made a f*ck up never made f*ck all !

Having the humility to ask for help is a great thing that many so called experts could learn from.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 3

Sorry yes. Just asking stupid questions to cover other possibilities. And by asking if it was crushed all I was thinking was that if it had been crushed it would have shown that that it would be making a seal, ie done up. But since the studs aren't short of course you can clearly see the nuts aren't on enough. 

Anyway none of that matters, and scrolling back it's looked dodgy as soon as you started to but the exhaust back on in the first place. With that "new” zorst you should be sorted. Apart from still needing to get up them stairs :D

And the flanges... Yeah they must be imprisoned basically which is why I mentioned you probably definitely maybe might as well get a new set of downpipes anyway. Probably why oldgrump's pal got theirs welded. Replacing them would involve cutting, grinding and welding anyway.

Edited by smallfrowne
Spg

Not something I have done yet however...

Exhausts are a high temperature system and not particularly high pressure.

It seems the gaskets are for sealing and possibly spacers for heat transfer  and expansion gap purposes:

https://www.fedtech.com/copper-exhaust-gaskets.html

A quick google says the Torque for the bolts is about 18Nm or 13 ft lbs which really is not allot.

This torque wrench is the size that would do it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JKJTDWC/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07JKJTDWC&pd_rd_w=KLuw7&pf_rd_p=f388d75d-7ab7-4c34-b7db-4c9f2e822f57&pd_rd_wg=jkt1Z&pf_rd_r=WMKJ39YNFTPTSEHJRRPS&pd_rd_r=0008e90c-40fc-4672-87ad-c4431a393465&smid=A2SPEM3E9B2GHB&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFLWFU1QzFTQjhOTlkmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAwMTEwMTQ4MkpNMVJXMTUzVkwmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDEyNDAzODJPN1QwVVhOOE1MSkomd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWxfdGhlbWF0aWMmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

You are looking at about very roughly 5kg (5 bags flour or 3-4 water bottles) of force on a 30cm spanner.

Even if you don’t have torque wrench it’s worth looking what the torques are it’s often surprising...

Edited by onesea
I am not recommending that torque wrench better and cheaper out there for motorbikes.. just using it as example as max torque 20Nm

1 minute ago, James in Brum said:

Thanks for the advice. I have a torque wrench. Wrong size though for my sockets that are small enough :-) 

I will have a butchers at options. 

I think mine came from screw fix but plenty out there..

https://www.google.com/search?q=socket+size+adapter&rlz=1C9BKJA_enGB790GB791&oq=socket+size+adapter&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i22i30l4j0i390.15869j0j7&hl=en-GB&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

52 minutes ago, James in Brum said:

Thanks for the advice. I have a torque wrench. Wrong size though for my sockets that are small enough :-) 

Screenshot_20210226-215558.png

55 minutes ago, James in Brum said:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-pro322-4-piece-socket-adaptor-set/?gclid=cjwkcaia1ekbbhbzeiwax3gql2ccver7t4ammegdlq5sdhkcfjj22egmp2nt6lodboyglhnv4gxuuxocklyqavd_bwe

Oh man. Can you take the weight off from below too? Bits of cardboard, brick, blocks, jack, bits of ramp, owt? Jiggle jiggle jiggle push push push. I hope you're swearing in a progressively more agressive manner as well.

And don't rip your seat get a rag on it at least :D

Edited by smallfrowne
Remembered the ramps

Have managed to cinch the nuts up to twelve KN, the exhaust is in place. I have no idea whether that has compressed the gaskets enough to form a seal. 
how do I know? Oh and I picked twelve KN out of the air it’s not a spec in the book.

Nuts are threaded all the way on so that's a very good sign. You might get lucky with the orings. If not sometimes a motor factors, (even a car one, but I've had better luck at bike ones) might have some or have their own box of o rings you can rummage through, normally a smaller one, so not like eurocarparts. 

3 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

toolstation ones would probably not be for automotive use (not oil resistant) :???:

You'll need a trip to halfords or similar :thumb:

Well there's no info on Toolstation that tells you what they're made of, but surely nitrile which is good for water and oil. Of course I never said this should it spring a leak.

• Haha 1

Halfords does list the sizes too which might sway you. Get yer ruler out.

Bigger pack with sizes listed: https://www.halfords.com/tools/fuses-electricals-and-fixings/fixings/halfords-assorted-o-rings-929091.html

Edited by smallfrowne
Oringgssssss