Chains - any recommendation?

S-Westerly

With my bike living outside and spending months 'resting in my absence my chain is probably going to need replacing in a few thousand miles. OEM is DID and is okay but anybody got any experience of other brands? Looking for long lasting and robust. Within reason cost isn't an issue and yes I'll change the sprockets at the same time.

I've used the Regina Z ring type chain, it seemed pretty good, although I can't comment on longevity because I sold the bike several months after fitting it.  They do seem well made and the racing guys seem to rate them, I think it cost me about £145, Gold plates on them look nice on the bike as well.  I believe the company has been around for a good few years so isn't a one night wonder, they also seem to invest a lot in R&D which adds confidence in their equipment.

• Thanks 1

I agree with e comments above, DID, Regina, RK all good brands.

My bike had a gold coloured chain when I got it, lookeed good untill a few monthsof salty roads and it looked terrible. Got non-coloured DID now.

Quality of sprockets can vary, not sure what to recommend here, maybe someone else will comment.

1 hour ago, WD40 said:

If you leave it parked outside for long periods make sure you use a thick chain lube or it will wash off and ruin your new chain.

It's under a cover so not totally bare to the elements. I see it every day when I pass so it's survived quite well for 2 1/2 years. When I'm at sea it's garaged at my daughter's place.