Automatic energy switching

Our energy contract is due up. I've done the usual Uswitch lark and found several suppliers offering cheaper deals, only when you check the numbers they're actually no cheaper. Most are actually more.

I'm looking into automatic energy switching contracts. Some are free but only offer suppliers who pay them a commission. Others charge a fee but can access cheaper suppliers who don't pay a commission, eg Flippr.

Anyone got any experience or recommendations?

Thanks

I made a spreadsheet that will calculate the real cost for up to 7 suppliers for both normal supply and economy 7.

I've used the previous 12 months readings to calculate the annual average.

What you need to consider is the unit rates and standing charge for both gas and electricity.

The same spreadsheet rates each supplier according to price only.

It takes a while to fil the information but it is as accurate as you can get considering that you will never know what your future usage is going to be

13 hours ago, SometimesSansEngine said:

Personally I find doing it myself so simple I wouldn't want to restrict myself to the suppliers and tariffs these services use/offer

So what do you use? The websites I've used all claim to offer cheaper deals but when you check the numbers they aren't. It looks simple until you really crunch the numbers.

With our current supplier the fixed term deals look tempting until you check the supposedly expensive variable rates, which are currently the cheapest on offer. 

Edited by Mississippi Bullfrog

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

So what do you use? The websites I've used all claim to offer cheaper deals but when you check the numbers they aren't. It looks simple until you really crunch the numbers.

With our current supplier the fixed term deals look tempting until you check the supposedly expensive variable rates, which are currently the cheapest on offer. 

Money saving expert cheap energy club. I used to also put in historic use into a spreadsheet as a secondary check but don't bother now as the numbers were always ok.

Re spread sheet I do similar, calculated average gas and electric usage for the past few years.

However last time I changed my choice was restricted further to cheapest not requiring a smart meter.

Mobile signal here is rubbish, the conversation is standard of I have a problem with my mobile.

Can you turn off your wi-fi so the phone uses data, Yes but I will cut you off.

Do you have a landline we can all back on? Yes but my mobile phone still will not get signal by using a landline 🧐

Edited by onesea