Cbt expired

Talking for a friend. When the cbt ran out in November. Every month he tried to book and due to covid they weren't taking bookings. As he needed it for work and there was no option he rode it, . Last month they were all fully booked and back logged. He was told to book in June,  unfortunately a woman pulled out in front of him. None of this his fault , damaging his body bike and her car. Nothing has come through the post. As it seems insurance will be invalid, should he report it or just ignore it and sell the bike after repairs???

Thanks 

Edited by Warren
Spellings

Unless of course the Woman has reported it already and the insurance company just hasn't got in contact with him yet, in which case he's stuffed. Probably more so if he gets rid of the bike as it'll look like hiding evidence!!

Still using his bike even without valid insurance is going to land him in trouble if he is ever stopped by the police. I'm surprised it's not happened yet if his CBT ran out back in November last year. It's unlikely that the woman would report it as she was at fault however it is possible depending on how badly the damage was on her motor. How's the condition on your mate's bike?

23 minutes ago, Blackholesun said:

Will they actually ask for the CBT though 

Her insurance may not... but his insurance definitely will want to know everything in a bid to find any loophole to avoid a payout.

All he can do is keep his fingers crossed that she has not made a claim and passed his details on to her insurers and their legal department.

Clearly the other driver's at fault. I'm not sure, but I'd have thought that he has a valid claim on her, which should be paid out by her insurance. It doesn't matter whether he was driving illegally or not, since that would only come into to play if there was a claim that his insurance had to pay out.

But if it were me, I'd keep schtum; he was still driving illegally and the repercussions - insurance cancelled, licence revoked - could be far worse than paying for the repairs out of his own pocket.

He could be in the crap whatever he does! 

An insurance company can void your insurance for riding without a valid drivers licence (the cbt validates your provisional licence)

An insurance company can void your insurance failing to report accidents. Technically you should report all bumps and scrapes to your insurance company whether you intend claiming or not. (I know we don't do this)

Trying to get insurance when you've had one made void could be expensive.

Edited by KiwiBob
  • Like 1

I'm sure there is a field you have to fill in to advise the insurer when you passed your CBT so the insurer will have a record of it if they ever wanted to know. If the TP does report it to her insurer, the insurer will get that detail too and challenge that OP should not have been on the road as he did not have valid insurance in the first place so would treat it as an unlicensed rider who hit into their parties' vehicle.

• 1 year later...