Harley 833 sportster as a learner bike?

Pbassred

My wife is  ..... verticly chalanged with a stiff hip.  So much so that she is pretty much limited to street bobbers.  Its almost impossible to find a school with a low enough "A" bike.  Also the out front controls style of most cruisers doesnt help and rules out being able to simply drop I foot to the floor.  the Honda Rebel has ideal ergonomics but its only an "A2" bike.  Today I saw a Harley 833 sportser.  Personally not a fan of Harleys but the fit looked right.  Obviously there is a challenge regarding using your own bike at a school, but what do you folks think about an 833 as a bike to take a DAS on?

You could take a look at the Triumph Bobber of course. The seat height is pretty low - 700mm at the highest setting. 

I have no idea how modern training works though so whether it's compatible with that side of things is a mystery to me.

An 883 would be ok as a learner bike . The engine might sound a little intimidating but it's very controllable . For those who struggle , the clutch mechanism can be easily replaced with an easier to pull version . The ride height can be lowered further with shorter shocks but at the expense of suspension travel and there is a wide choice of handlebars available . If you want a rubber mounted engine look at anything from 2004 and if you prefer EFI over a carb , look at post 2006 . Any more advice , please feel free to ask . 

1 hour ago, Pbassred said:

My wife is  ..... verticly chalanged with a stiff hip.  So much so that she is pretty much limited to street bobbers.  Its almost impossible to find a school with a low enough "A" bike.  Also the out front controls style of most cruisers doesnt help and rules out being able to simply drop I foot to the floor.  the Honda Rebel has ideal ergonomics but its only an "A2" bike.  Today I saw a Harley 833 sportser.  Personally not a fan of Harleys but the fit looked right.  Obviously there is a challenge regarding using your own bike at a school, but what do you folks think about an 833 as a bike to take a DAS on?

Why not do the A2 test if the Rebel is suitable. an easy solution and then move up later.

8 hours ago, Pbassred said:

the Honda Rebel has ideal ergonomics but its only an "A2" bike.

Are you including the new one? Rebel 1100? If you can find one. Low and not forward controls.

Why not do the A2 test if the Rebel is suitable. an easy solution and then move up later.

There is no such thing as "move up later".  Upgrading from A2 to A requires a whole new test.  Mod one and Mod 2.  You would still need a bike with the same limitations and you still couldn't get it insured unless you involved a school and you would have your money tied up in 2 bikes.