Hiss indication light

billy sugger

My 600 has the Honda HISS system fitted, and when the ignition is off a lillte LED flashes on the dials, presumably to say it is active, but lately I'm noticing it is not working after bike left, mostly overnight. Anyone else seeing the same thing on there Honda? 

HISS will flash the light for some time before going to "sleep" mode. It will still be active but not wasting the battery by flashing the light.

Keep in mind that HISS will drain the battery after 1 or 2 weeks. So a battery tender is highly advisable. :thumb: 

5 hours ago, husoi said:

HISS will flash the light for some time before going to "sleep" mode. It will still be active but not wasting the battery by flashing the light.

Keep in mind that HISS will drain the battery after 1 or 2 weeks. So a battery tender is highly advisable. :thumb: 

Has never drained my battery. it cant.

Obviously the LED will have some effect, but it would probably take years.

Depending on the age and machine, if you turn the ignition on then use the button that cycles through Trip A/B etc, when you get to the total mileage, you hold the button and the HISS light should flash. If it doesn't, try again and hold down the other button once you cycle to the total mileage as it does vary.

It will then flash every 2 seconds when the ignition is off. I think there's a few settings, but on my old RR's, I switched the blinking LED off. 

Ta for the replies, it just seem to have a mind of its own and either stays on all night after ignition turned off, or goes off after a couple of hours. The system must be working properly or surely my keys would not work, and the same thing happened with the old dash, so it must be linked to the HISS itself 

21 minutes ago, Stu said:

Is it going in to some sort of battery saving mode? 

Some systems can see battery voltage and go in to sleep mode which could mean early signs of a duff battery 

I've no idea @Stu, battery is four months old and kept on a charger when not in use for more than a week, plus I have a external voltmeter fitted so know battery is fine 

• Like 1

Don’t worry about the HISS. As long as the engine starts, or at least attempts to turn over then it’s not a concern. It doesn’t use any power, apart from the LED if it has one of those (which seems likely).

Q7. What is the battery life for a model equipped with H.I.S.S.?

A. Since the system uses a contact communications method similar to IC cards, its operation has no effect on battery life. 

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1