A mad mate's charity run from Wales to Essex

EX GASMAN

1358168473_BigAlsbike.thumb.jpg.98f38e062dba1b21149b9f56e0fc9de0.jpg1024522677_BigAlssonsbike.thumb.jpg.7958917129a66f44d842ef28be800de8.jpg

A friend is intending to do a run for charity, along with his son, they are setting off in Wales and riding to Essex (the actual route has not been decided on yet) In itself not Mad but the bikes chosen for the trip should make it interesting he (28stones) is riding a 100cc mini chopper his son also a bigish man is doing it on a 50cc moped.  They are planning to do it on the 25 March, so the weather may be not so good the trip is about 300 miles they plan on doing it non stop. Because of the moped they can't used motorways and even A roads would have big safety concerns.  I hope they manage it and I will post again when I have more information, but I think they're mad

Edited by EX GASMAN
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, EX GASMAN said:

1358168473_BigAlsbike.thumb.jpg.98f38e062dba1b21149b9f56e0fc9de0.jpg1024522677_BigAlssonsbike.thumb.jpg.7958917129a66f44d842ef28be800de8.jpg

A friend is intending to do a run for charity, along with his son, they are setting off in Wales and riding to Essex (the actual route has not been decided on yet) In itself not Mad but the bikes chosen for the trip should make it interesting he (28stones) is riding a 100cc mini chopper his son also a bigish man is doing it on a 50cc moped.  They are planning to do it on the 25 March, so the weather may be not so good the trip is about 300 miles they plan on doing it non stop. Because of the moped they can't used motorways and even A roads would have big safety concerns.  I hope they manage it and I will post again when I have more information, but I think they're mad

What’s the charity & how can we sponsor if we wish to ?

• Like 1

It is for Macmillan Cancer support, there is a just giving page, I doubt they will have tracking my mate is not very tech savvy 

Here's a link to the just giving page

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/smallwayroundthelongway?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=socpledgemobile&utm_content=smallwayroundthelongway&utm_campaign=post-pledge-mobile&utm_term=9wxNkMmN7

Whilst i applaud their intention and having done similar in the past i have now come to the following conclusion with motor based charity rides/drives  .

It would be more beneficial to the charities if you just donate the fuel and associated costs directly as they predominantly outweigh the donations received .

Hope they are aware of the a14 restrictions ( no 50cc) in places

Edited by TimR

• 5 months later...

I forgot to update this. After a delay due to the death of the lady they did it for, it went ahead at the end of May the original moped didn't make it so it was replaced with one that would run, they brought a spare 125 but it wasn't needed. It took over 16 hours and I'm sure it hurt, between them it cost more than the £1,200 they raised but they have the bikes to sell although my mate ( 28 stones) is keeping the mini chopper 😃 

• Like 2