Ukraine

Trooper74

So .. we’ve all seen the press ... invasion of the Ukraine by evil Russians ....

However ...

I have a friend in the Ukraine, Kyrov .... Andrey..

This a snatch of an email from the 27th of January from him ..

"Thank you for your support, but I want to say that Ukrainians mostly love Russians and Russians love Ukrainians! Nobody WANTS war!!!
These  f****** politicians are doing meanness and lying on every corner!!! But who asks the opinion of the common people!? "

He has built an engine for me and posted it .... Guess by which postal service .... Russian Federation Postal service !

"All that glisters is not gold" methinks ..

The situation in the Ukraine is not as black and white as the Daily Mail and Telegraph would have us think ...

His website .....    https://f2abcd-store.ru

Edited by Trooper74

I work with both Russians and Ukrainians. There's a big difference between Ukrainians who are ethnic Russians (and there are a lot of them) and "pure" Ukrainians.  Not a lot of love lost there. The same goes for the Baltic States and anywhere else which was part of the USSR. Its much more complicated than it seems and a lot of ancient and bloody history to take into account. Makes Ireland look like Sunday school.

• Like 6

I've wondered if all this posturing with Russia is partly down to them supplying us with a lot of our natural gas. Use an exaggerated crisis to try and pay less for gas, which we are desperately short of?

2 hours ago, Fozzie said:

I've wondered if all this posturing with Russia is partly down to them supplying us with a lot of our natural gas. Use an exaggerated crisis to try and pay less for gas, which we are desperately short of?

Doubt that's the entire reason but it's a good bargaining chip, USA have said nord stream 2 will not happen if they enter Ukraine, not sure how Germany will feel about that. 

• Like 1

Russia is not afraid of the Ukraine joining NATO except inasmuch as it will be outside his sphere of influence. Putin knows full well that NATO is purely a defensive organisation. I guess he’s forgotten that back in 1991 there was talk of a grand coalition between Russia and NATO. Putin is a tyrant, but more than that he’s a gangster money power and more money. And more… with as much as possible pushed towards all of those friends of his. There’s a reason why the entire Russian economy is the same size as that of Italy. The people make and do and the gangsters take and then move the money out of the country. Those houses in Belgravia aren’t cheap!!

This brinkmanship isn’t about NATO. It’s about the EU. Putin is terrified of the EU. Terrified. The EU is the single biggest threat to Putins premiership and gangsterism and he knows it. Ukraine joining NATO gives them full protection and freedom to go on and apply to join the EU.. a Russian speaking country joining and then benefiting from membership as it definitely will could very easily bring him down. The nightmare of all nightmares. (For him and his merry band of mates) so we are where we are.. but don’t think for a moment this is completely about NATO. It really isn’t.

• Like 3

I believe they can't join NATO, both Russia and the West know this. As there is a territory dispute they can't join or is limited likelyhood of it ever happening. Issue is the West is too reliant on Russia and China for most things, that why they are buying up Africa with loans too lots of precious resources in Africa etc 

• Like 1

China yes, Russia not so much. Europe (including UK) buys gas and a smaller amount of oil. The US surprisingly buys quite a bit of Russian crude oil. In a lot of Africa  Russia isn't so popular as many were dependent on Soviet support which when the USSR implodedleft them high and dry. Of course now China has stepped in and in exchange for the Chinese building infrastructure they are getting raw materials at bargain prices and in the process locking out competitors. Interesting times if not particularly pleasant.

• Like 1