Bike trys to cut out when raning

andrewvincent

Possible cause water getting into the HT lead somewhere and shorting out, check for any cracks in the lead, and also check the plug cap for signs of water ingress.

• Thanks 1

Also check the spark plug, a hairline crack in the insulation can hold water which allows the ignition charge to leak to earth.

You may not be able to see damage to a HT lead if it's internal. If you're getting problems in the wet on a bike that's 16 years old I'd replace the HT lead and plug as a matter of course and see how that goes. Give all the electrics a spray with WD40.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Give all the electrics a spray with WD40.

Man after my own heart, although I suggest spraying in sections. Start with HT lead spark plus, then rest of wiring.  Done this way you might be able to isolate the location of the fault.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Also check the spark plug, a hairline crack in the insulation can hold water which allows the ignition charge to leak to earth.

You may not be able to see damage to a HT lead if it's internal. If you're getting problems in the wet on a bike that's 16 years old I'd replace the HT lead and plug as a matter of course and see how that goes. Give all the electrics a spray with WD40.

Yeh the HT lead is only about a year old 

18 minutes ago, andrewvincent said:

Yeh the HT lead is only about a year old 

Is it a good quality bike lead? I've known people buy cheap HT leads on smaller bike engines and they don't last long. Bikes work HT leads much harder than cars. 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Is it a good quality bike lead? I've known people buy cheap HT leads on smaller bike engines and they don't last long. Bikes work HT leads much harder than cars. 

I brought an orginal one from a supplier not a repro 

2 hours ago, andrewvincent said:

I brought an orginal one from a supplier not a repro 

If you're unsure if it's the lead or not, you can test it by wrapping insulating tape round it. If the problem goes away then it's the lead. If it doesn't then it's probably something else.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Mr Fro said:

If you're unsure if it's the lead or not, you can test it by wrapping insulating tape round it. If the problem goes away then it's the lead. If it doesn't then it's probably something else.

Just make sure it's thoroughly dry before wrapping it in tape. Stick it on a radiator overnight.

• Thanks 1

On 15/03/2022 at 20:41, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Just make sure it's thoroughly dry before wrapping it in tape. Stick it on a radiator overnight.

It's funny because I e been spraying the connection to the starter motor and it never cut out in the rain yesterday maybe it could be shorting out when wet hopefully cheers for all your answers guys

1 hour ago, andrewvincent said:

It's funny because I e been spraying the connection to the starter motor and it never cut out in the rain yesterday maybe it could be shorting out when wet hopefully cheers for all your answers guys

Insulator cap missing?