Garage Destroyed Engine

Ramesh

Hello everyone. I'm having I big issue as I'm not sure what to do here as I can contact them but want to be sure if I'm in the right etc

I sent my bike in for repairs and MOT it's a yamaha wr125x.

It took about 3 weeks for them to do such repairs and not but now the engine is basically f**ked as I heard this sound before. As about 2 years ago original engine blew as oil leaked out somewhere, so I know that sound. I did initially inform them it's a none runner and they picked the bike up as I declared it sorn for about a year. As soon as the guy came to pick up the bike he started which I quickly hit kill switch and informed him that there is no oil in engine which I thought he would have been told by owner not to start it. 

I did mention to them the engine is good but to check it as been sitting outside for a year, does seem like they f**ked up and just sent bike back to me and thought I wouldn't know or maybe not as I was looking forward to riding again.

The repair shop I sent it to has over 50 reviews will all 5 stars.

Sent me a email before dropping off bike...

Just to let you know we can deliver the bike today for you, and as inspecting the bike your engine condition is not as good, It would need looking at.

6 hours ago, Ramesh said:

Hello everyone. I'm having I big issue as I'm not sure what to do here as I can contact them but want to be sure if I'm in the right etc

I sent my bike in for repairs and MOT it's a yamaha wr125x.

It took about 3 weeks for them to do such repairs and not but now the engine is basically f**ked as I heard this sound before. As about 2 years ago original engine blew as oil leaked out somewhere, so I know that sound. I did initially inform them it's a none runner and they picked the bike up as I declared it sorn for about a year. As soon as the guy came to pick up the bike he started which I quickly hit kill switch and informed him that there is no oil in engine which I thought he would have been told by owner not to start it. 

I did mention to them the engine is good but to check it as been sitting outside for a year, does seem like they f**ked up and just sent bike back to me and thought I wouldn't know or maybe not as I was looking forward to riding again.

The repair shop I sent it to has over 50 reviews will all 5 stars.

Sent me a email before dropping off bike...

Just to let you know we can deliver the bike today for you, and as inspecting the bike your engine condition is not as good, It would need looking at.

So what repairs did they carry out whilst it was there? 

I initially removed oil so I can change it but got side tracked so let it drain full overnight, by then never had time to get back to do minor repairs due to injured wrist at work. So now can't do any repairs until hands are better. 

Screenshot_20220319-171524_Samsung Notes.jpg

14 minutes ago, Ramesh said:

Still no mot even though they said it's done, maybe they forgot to submit to them not sure here

Screenshot_20220319-172539_Samsung Internet.jpg

Did they give you the MoT sheet/ .. That will tell you if it passed or failed.

Did ask they guy dropping it off if he had and documents of repairs and MOT certificate but told me they sent via email with invoice but I checked and only have the invoice so more headache for me now.

They did say it passed mot on phone a week ago but been checking website everyday to see but just get same message no mot

Edited by Ramesh

Well something certainly doesn't tally. As Bender states a vehicle is logged into the system as soon as an MOT test starts and the pass/fail is logged instantly upon completion.

The screenshot that you posted is from the official GOV. website I assume??

Edited by Yorky
Typo

42 minutes ago, Yorky said:

Well something certainly doesn't tally. As Bender states a vehicle is logged into the system as soon as an MOT test starts and the pass/fail is logged instantly upon completion.

The screenshot that you posted is from the official GOV. website I assume??

That's correct https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

Will check bike tomorrow once there's light and see what was or not done and have a video on sound of engine as at this point there's no chance of fixing engine only to spend around 500/600 to fix or refurb engine for 850 eBay. 

Was wanting to sell so can invest in another bike more economy wise. But sadly that's not the case now.

Will check tomorrow and let you all know then from there send email to garage explaining WTF they did to my beloved bike.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bender said:

Mots are logged on as vehicle is being done and updated soon as it's finished. 

What consists of mot checks as tried to google as engine wise, do they check to see if it runs or not so much as they need to start bike to see headlight adjusted etc. Just curious to know as they said they will give me a quote before going ahead with everything.

6 minutes ago, KiwiBob said:

Are you sure? .. How else can they check if the exhaust is too loud?

That's what my MOT guy told me when I booked in the turbo. I was a bit surprised but that's what he said.

I know I found it very amusing that my brother in law's car passed its MOT a couple of times despite having no reverse gear. 

He just had to warn the garage before hand so they didn't get it stuck :lol:

16 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

I know I found it very amusing that my brother in law's car passed its MOT a couple of times despite having no reverse gear. 

I lost reverse gear on one of my old vans mid mot, they laughed as they pushed it out, still passed 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tiggie said:

Really!? How bloody bizarre! Never knew that. Admittedly not an issue on a bike but talk about inconsistent. 

• Like 1

The engine may not be required to run but every time I get mine MOT'd they have the engine running whilst they check the lights, brake lights and horn. So by habit I suspect most bikes are run during the test. But sending a bike in with no oil in it seems to an odd decision.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lloyd said:

How do they check exhaust noise level if it doesn’t have to run ?

8.1.1. Exhaust noise

If possible, you should assess the exhaust noise by revving the engine to approximately half the maximum engine speed. The engine should be warm before you carry out this check.

If it won't start its not possible

😁