Chain teaser

Breezin

I'm stumped. The chain on my bike is supposed to be 100 links long. The one I bought has 110.

So it would make sense to cut off 10, right? But what happens with the extra join link? Do I cut at 99, and add the joiner, or do I cut at at 100?

Other suppliers of this chain pack 100 plus the additional link. But the chain that I've taken off the bike has just 100.

Asking now, because I really don't want to risk having a brand new chain that's one link short!

Does your bike have the standard sized sprockets?

And assuming you are changing chain and sprockets at the same time what size sprockets have you got compared to the one on the bike at the moment? From what I can see 15/38 is standard with a 100 link chain.

Are you sure that other suppliers have 100 + 1 or is the link included in the 100? You could always cut slightly longer and test fit before rivetting the link if you're not sure.

Thanks both -- sensible advice.

I certainly will be measuring it to the bike before cutting, but the OCD me wants it to conform to the 'standard' as written down.

I have a regular 15/38 sprocket setup, which won't change -- new ones fitted but same size.

Other suppliers say the chain is 100 with a split or rivet link supplied. But no listing I can find states clearly whether the additional link is included in the count or is additional to the 100.  :scratch:

Edited by Breezin

Fit everything and set the adjusters to where they need to be for a new chain 

Fit the chain and hook the ends over the rear sprocket 

Now pull the chain to take up the slack rest it on the sprocket and you should be able to see how many links too long the chain is 

Are you counting the side plates? if so then the 100th one will be the link so you would cut to 99 but please check it on the bike before cutting 

PS hand a weight on the rear brake and put it in gear it will stop the chain falling on the floor 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Fit everything and set the adjusters to where they need to be for a new chain 

Fit the chain and hook the ends over the rear sprocket 

Now pull the chain to take up the slack rest it on the sprocket and you should be able to see how many links too long the chain is 

Are you counting the side plates? if so then the 100th one will be the link so you would cut to 99 but please check it on the bike before cutting 

PS hand a weight on the rear brake and put it in gear it will stop the chain falling on the floor 

You just spoiled all the fun of it. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well, nothing has gone pear-shaped just yet. I've measured it up on the bike, and it looks like it should be cut at 99 to add the extra link.

But I'm gonna sleep on it. 😗

So, just to continue the saga... I measured the fit put on the shorter length, as advised. All good.

Then I went and overpressed one of the rivets, and it's popped through the side plate. 😖

Any suggestions to rescue this chain? Will it work if I push the pins through with the breaker and fit a new master link? Any help greatly appreciated... don't really feel like forking out for a new chain.

Edited by Breezin
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Breezin said:

So, just to continue the saga... I measured the fit put on the shorter length, as advised. All good.

Then I went and overpressed one of the rivets, and it's popped through the side plate. 😖

Any suggestions to rescue this chain? Will it work if I push the pins through with the breaker and fit a new master link? Any help greatly appreciated... don't really feel like forking out for a new chain.

I would say remove old and fit new master or split link and it should be fine.

You really don’t need to over round the river heads, you can make the link stiff.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Breezin said:

Thanks onesea. Shall try that... hopefully it'll do the trick.

I hate it when people say that, means I will feel like it’s my fault if it goes wrong…

• Haha 2