Yamaha XJ6 - 2010 - Cannot move key to "ON"

Hello!

Encountered a problem with my bike, the key wont turn to "ON". If i try it for some time it works a couple of times and i can start the bike. In the beginning it only occured once or twice that the ignition would not go to "ON" but now it can take up to 20 tries before the bike turns on. I don't see any problem with the battery since the bike turns on and works like normal but yeah it takes it's time to get there. I have only tried another key so far with no different result. I have travelled around 4000 km since i got the bike this spring and there was no problem before that so i guess there could be some dirt in the keyhole. What would you recommend to check next?

Regards 

Andy

Wonder if the problem is the ignition barrel? It's possible it might be wearing out. I get that it's only done 4000k, but if it's made of a hard cheese, say parmesan, then it could be showing signs of wear. The thing that make me suspicious that it really is parmesan, is that it started doing it when the bike was new. That's no way ok. 

Have you tried squirting some WD40 into the lock and seeing if it improves it a bit? Otherwise you might be looking at a putting in a new ignition barrel.

my guess Standard Yamaha security, I’ve had 3 Yamahas all developed similar issues, with the lock barrel.

Put the key in all the way wobble the key fore and aft - back and forth along the longest axis horizontally, whilst trying to turn. Once I have had the knack not had an issue but have watched others struggle.

Guessing as barrel wears it wears out the mechanism.

As others have said WD40, another thing could be a sticky relay again WD40.  Suggest you start at lock then relay, if nothing else you will know where the fault is if you do both at once you might never know.

My 2001 R1 does this occasionally, a bit of key wriggling works but the signs are there it may cease to work fully one day.

I do spray wd40 in it but can't really tell if its improved as it doesn't do it all the time.

Bikes done 42000 miles.

By contrast, my 52 year old Hondas ignition works like new.

Don't make 'em like they use to...