Another What Bike? Thread...

DJP

I commute and scratch (the latter fairly gently, these days). I'm 52, 6'1” and like comfort and practicality, but with a turn of speed when required. My current ride is a Bandit 1250 and I'd like something a tad lighter/more modern but I'm not a fan of too many “Rider aids”.

Current thoughts are:

Suzuki V Strom 650 (the sensible option): Comfortable, economical, reliable, super practical, minimal electronic gadgetry. Everything I need, but is it everything that I want...?

Triumph Tiger 660: Similar to V Strom and a tad livelier but I'm a bit put off by conflicting reports re Triumph reliability.

Yamaha MT09: I've test ridden this one. Comfortable and quick but slightly crude, slightly cheap feeling and festooned with electro-gizmology.

Kawasaki Z1000SX: Looks to be everything that I'd ever want, if I can get comfortable on one (I've never sat on one).

Or...

The new Hornet 750: Again, depends on the ergos and what accessories (eg luggage) are going to be available for it.

Or anything else that I might have missed?

Edited by DJP

We are all going to have different ideas for comfort, etc so the best advice is go sit on some bikes and test ride if possible. Visit Motocycle Live at the NEC in November and look around - - there will be plenty to see/sit on

• Like 1

Don't know the new Hornet, but I've ridden the others on your list. Agree with you about the MT09. The Tracer is more refined, but comes with more electronics. Of the ones on your list, the Z1000SX stands out as being different from the others - it's got a soul closer to a sports bike, but with all-day comfort and practical things like panniers. It's the one I'd opt for every day. The latest ones are packed with elecktrickery, but the older ones are more simple.

As for other options, what about

• a Versys
  • an F900XR. idk, but I expect the base option has most the typical electronics removed
  • a Crosstourer (never ridden one, supposed to be a bit top heavy)
  • Like 1