Where is it...?

Riley

Hi guys so new to bikes and now starting to take on the task of how it works why it works and how to maintain ideally so for future bikes I can fix them my self but currently its brand new and by the warranty has to go to a Honda or vat registered guy which I don't mind till I know how to do stuff. 

First thing gears wow keep having issues with these it won't click into gear sometimes I know I've done it I feel it but the dash board isn't having any if it  then for a few seconds she yells at me by jolting me over the place the dash seems to then pick this up normally this only happens when I've actually gone through a gear change scenario so wasn't sure if it was just me being new. 

But they're only so many ways you can push a piece of metal with the foot then today she was in just going down the road and mid road decided she wasn't in any gear anymore I hadn't even made attempt to change gear she gave me the 2 little lines to say she wasn't in a gear for like 2 seconds then chnaged her mind and went on to display the gear.??? 

As you can see screenshots attached from my helmet cam and a close up of when it first started like 15miles in I've pm my local dealership but as its a sunday I won't hear back till sometime next week I suppose. 

Screenshot_20221022_172542_com.facebook.orca.jpg

Screenshot_20221022_172530_com.facebook.orca.jpg

Screenshot_20221022_152831_com.li.aricampro.jpg

Screenshot_20221022_152508_com.li.aricampro.jpg

Screenshot_20220923_105133_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

False neutral is one of the joys of riding motorcycles. It's possible this is what you are experiencing. With the way the gear selector works it's possible to sometimes not be fully selected. With experience you'll spot it by feel. 

Which is not to say that you may have a mechanical issue but a lot of newer riders experience something along these lines.

2 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

False neutral is one of the joys of riding motorcycles. It's possible this is what you are experiencing. With the way the gear selector works it's possible to sometimes not be fully selected. With experience you'll spot it by feel. 

Which is not to say that you may have a mechanical issue but a lot of newer riders experience something along these lines.

I have been given advise that the metal needs time to fully be worn in which makes sense but were now on month 2 so... It keeps happing it happens in all gears tho... Or is false neutral just what you call the it. 

If you look at the video if it lets me upload it it happened today was ridding fine came to a give way so. Went down to first. 

Then as I went again I know I clicked it into 2nd for a secound it says nothing then decides nope I didn't click it enough and its now in neutral 

It won't let me upload the clip from my helmet cam thats a shame but I get it sever costs 

Here is a link to the clip. 

Screenshot_20221023_193751_com.li.aricampro.jpg

Edited by Riley
Video

Again here at 13.51.44 sec

I've got many examples might have to speak to honda directly as It jumps and jolts and seems to be getting worse I've asked a dealership but haven't heard back yet. 

Screenshot /video here 

Screenshot_20221023_200406_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg

Edited by Riley

9 hours ago, Stu said:

That looks to me as though its jumping out of gear! which is shouldn't be doing 

Thats what it feels like as I know I've clicked in and the other day seemed to confirm it as i was no were near the gear stick/peg and for a few seconds it went from said I was in no gear I think to saying it was in no gear I asked the dealership I brought it off and he said it just needs time to work in but it keeps happening after like 2 months 

You can see in the video marked gear issues at 13.51.44.... But for the upload to youtube its 0.32 seconds in you can clearly see me put my left hand up to say like what the fudge as I was on a long stretch of road nice and clear and it went to saying I wasn't in any gear then back to I was it wasn't so bad there but its bad when I'm on a roundabout which also happened as I drop down a gear to go round. 

Edited by Riley

Same story we've had on here a dozen times . Accept no bullshit from the dealership whatsoever . It is a faulty consumer product and that's the end of the discussion . Do not even refer to it as your bike . It is a bike . Take it back and state that you want a refund or a replacement and let them fix this one in their time and not yours . End of . 

6 minutes ago, fastbob said:

Same story we've had on here a dozen times . Accept no bullshit from the dealership whatsoever . It is a faulty consumer product and that's the end of the discussion . Do not even refer to it as your bike . It is a bike . Take it back and state that you want a refund or a replacement and let them fix this one in their time and not yours . End of . 

Hi well my local dealership is different from the one I got it from. 

Its under warranty not even over a month old yet so what about the metal needing time to work in? This makes sense but I know nothing about bikes really yet so solely reliant on others and I have no knowledge myself to gauge it against not yet so..? 

Don't know if what I'm being told is legit or not. 

I have messaged my local dealer but it was late Saturday its been seen but by whom I don't know. there are closed Sundays so should hear back today I took it there for my 600 service they said everything was fine I mentioned the gear issue also to the guy who signed my book etc. 

So will see either way it should get sorted if I have any issues I'll just go to honda directly can't I..? 

Edited by Riley

First of all forget the gear indicator! Don't even bring it in to conversion as they aren't reliable enough to say your in gear or not. 

The video showing you accelerating then the bike coming out of gear while still accelerating is more than enough evidence to say is jumping out of gear. 

Once you are in gear it should not be jumping out and as for wearing in that's just utter bollox and a cop out from the dealer 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Riley said:

Hi well my local dealership is different from the one I got it from. 

Its under warranty not even over a month old yet so what about the metal needing time to work in? This makes sense but I know nothing about bikes really yet so solely reliant on others and I have no knowledge myself to gauge it against not yet so..? 

Don't know if what I'm being told is legit or not. 

I have messaged my local dealer but it was late Saturday its been seen but by whom I don't know. there are closed Sundays so should hear back today I took it there for my 600 service they said everything was fine I mentioned the gear issue also to the guy who signed my book etc. 

So will see either way it should get sorted if I have any issues I'll just go to honda directly can't I..? 

Metal working in ? Typical dealer bullshit ! They want you to keep the bike and they want to keep the money in the till . I'll say it again . It's a faulty consumer product and it should be replaced with another one that is fit for purpose . You don't want anyone splitting the crankcase and f**king around with it . You want a new one that works . If you bought a washing machine from Currys and it didn't work , would they ask you to take it back so they could have a fiddle with it ? No , they would take the old one away and give you a replacement . Sorry to be so direct about this but it infuriates me when the bike trade treats people , especially newcomers , in a different manner to other consumers . 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fastbob said:

Metal working in ? Typical dealer bullshit ! They want you to keep the bike and they want to keep the money in the till . I'll say it again . It's a faulty consumer product and it should be replaced with another one that is fit for purpose . You don't want anyone splitting the crankcase and f**king around with it . You want a new one that works . If you bought a washing machine from Currys and it didn't work , would they ask you to take it back so they could have a fiddle with it ? No , they would take the old one away and give you a replacement . Sorry to be so direct about this but it infuriates me when the bike trade treats people , especially newcomers , in a different manner to other consumers . 

So its not normal for the metal components for the gears needing some time to work in I guess. 

It doesn't happen all the time as for what they do fix it or replace thats up to honda I guess as its under their warranty I just need to make sure its a machinery fault and just not me so I don't waste peoples time. 

Okay.. Well its been going on since the start and I have emails as records to the dealership I brought it from so there is that that stuff goes way back to 15 miles. 

This reply is 2 all you guys they said they was stock issues so my local dealer was quoting like 6 months so the one I got it from is 100miles away from my local dealer as the other guy could get me it quicker and I was inpatient 

Anyway so they would be probably a massive wait for a whole replacement bike and I'm sure honda wouldn't be happy about that and tbh me neither as I like my bike.. I know fatboy don't say that. But its just 2 late I've grown attached to an inanimate object lol. 

And like you say its honda so it just my luck i get the one in like a million with an issue

Plus the waste to materials and everyone time and the bottom line of the dealership etc. 

Also I really need to make sure it not my fault as for the video I think i switched from 5 to 4 th then back as I wasn't sure the speed limit was on the bloody road as somtimes there are no freaking signs then it just wouldn't register. 

But its has definitely been in gear and just jumped. if I was a more experienced driver I guess I wouldn't be doubting myself so much and others i guess

it did have a services and they said it was fine wouldn't they pick up on this during the service 

You all say metal doesn't need to work in so I thought that was a tad odd but it does make sense as it how metal works but then why don't I hear loads of cars cracking the gear shifts for the first 2 months 

Being so new I'm obviously overly reliant on others and that isn't good at all. 

Edited by Riley

4 hours ago, Stu said:

First of all forget the gear indicator! Don't even bring it in to conversion as they aren't reliable enough to say your in gear or not. 

The video showing you accelerating then the bike coming out of gear while still accelerating is more than enough evidence to say is jumping out of gear. 

Once you are in gear it should not be jumping out and as for wearing in that's just utter bollox and a cop out from the dealer 

You on about the one as i take the corner yeah was in 1st went into 2nd the it said no and switched me back into neutral I've got a few more I'll add them in a bit i just don't want to go to the guys and there be nothing wrong looking like a fool amd wasting peoples time. 

But I'm also am adult and know that I can't know somthing new till I've learnt it and at some point they new nothing about bike 2 dam those big ass desk it surrounded by all them sweet spanking knew bikes  abit intimating lol

Edited by Riley

33 minutes ago, Davidtav said:

I agree it is probably an issue with the bike. … however have you tried riding with different boots?  I have a few pairs of boots. And I definitely find gear selection easier in one particular pair. 

Thats weird you say that but yeah I thought of that a while back I've got multiple boots and have worn both on her.

I just want to be 100% its a real issue as it only happens now and the and I can control it to fix it. 

You guys all seem pretty sure there is an issue here it seems tho

Maybe I'm not pushing hard enough on the peg. 

I have attached another video here. 

Again below is one of the first ones I sent to the guy I got it off think I was 33 miles in at this point video below. 

Ignore the link or whatever that is below this sentence as I can't get rid of it. 

Edited by Riley