Looking to survey tourers to improve route planning

sky

Hi! 👋 

I am currently looking to talk to some tourers that would be up for answering a few questions on route planning. I am a student studying user experience and as a frequent tourer myself I am trying to research better ways to tour on your motorbike (mainly to do with route planning and apps).  It should take only 15 minutes. If you are interested please let me know. If you don't have the time to chat please would you mention the apps that you like using when you are touring, all of it is helpful. 

Thank you 

I don't use apps. if by that you mean touring specific apps mostly aimed at mobile phone users. I use paper maps, Michelin guides and for laying out the routes Garmin basecamp. which I find very simple to use, though most people seem to think its too complicated. I transfer the gpx to the SD card in my zumo xt and off I go.

I also tend to use other peoples routes if they look interesting (and avoid major cities) there are loads of sites on the internet full of routes, often with the option of viewing them as an overlay on a proper map... an obvious example for the UK being BBR. though as that's now worldwide it can be useful for timing the best roads together for a longer day out.

Though for my purposes the best sites are German. Kurviger. Kurvenkonig etc.

But at the end of the day you can't beat paper maps.. either in hand or online. they offer the best overview so you can see worthwhile points of interest that might mean a slight diversion for the route being planned at that moment.

I still use maps from ADAC in Germany as they do offer a very easy way to plan a route and have a great emphasis on great routes, with good tarmac and great views... very easy to transfer too. eg.

Screenshot 2022-11-14 at 19.02.04.png

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1

I use Myroute App 

The reason for this is that I can plan routes sat at home and transfer them to the Zumo XT and away I go but if something changes I can simply use my phone to make modifications if I like and send it to the Zumo or create new routes easy enough while sat in the pub on a night discussing the next days adventures 

Myroute App stores the routes online and you can also download them to your phone if you really wanted to so they are accessible almost anywhere 

I can also create a group and add people to it to quickly and easily share routes between us

I have used basecamp before and its a bit clunky but it works and is pretty easy to use once you learn how to use it but its not mobile unless you have a small laptop to take with you! 

• Like 3

Used to use TomTom and co pilot recently tried Calimoto.  Most often default to Google Maps

For me there are 2 stages to touring:

1) getting to location down pre planned route. With some research to nice day roads.

2) Getting lost at destination visiting random places.

All SatNavs have there faults, I doubt any will provide the perfect route.

Part of the fun of the hobby.

1806998884_Screenshot_20221115-0351352.thumb.png.ceff044143cc8a1cccb45779408a84a6.png

Edited by onesea
  • Like 1

Another one here for MyRoute app and Tom Tom.  I also rely on the time honoured method of a map .... Technology sometimes has a habit of letting you down.  However, the tour for me isn't about arriving at the destination, it's more about the ride there.  With that in mind, I tend to know the rough direction I'm heading in (N, S, E or W) point the bike in that direction and just ride .... Probably why I get lost so often, but what the hell 😀

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I too have been using MyRoute app for a few years, along with A Garmin Zumo.  Sure, all online stuff can let you down but if you're meticulous in the planning stage that will be kept to a minimum. and nothing beats a big wall map to give you an overall view.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

A bit (fashionably?) late to this party, I guess. 

I use Michelin maps to draught a route, looking for roads with a green border line (ie, scenic), then load them to MyRouteApp so they can be exported to whichever satnav I’m using at the time.